Why no love for the Buck 55

I was just wandering why the buck model 55 is seldom mentioned here I've seen a few here and there and have had the chance to see them in person and I think it would make a dandy little edc blade however it seems to be one of bucks less popular models.

I've actually been tempted to buy one for quite some time. The one thing that makes me hesitate is, I always seem to wish it was just a little larger. It's a great looking, pint-sized version of the 110 (the radiused bolsters remind me more of a 111; that's a good thing too), but it always ends up looking just a bit smaller than I'd like.

That being said, I may still pick one up, eventually. I'm noticing my tastes are beginning to swing back around to some of the more 'gentlemanly' knives. So, I'm guessing that'll favorably influence my opinion of the 55.

I have a couple, a standard one and a bare head with stag handles. I love the design because it's a small 111, but small is the key word. If it was the size of even the 501, I'd be real happy with it.

Well, as an older guy, I like the 55 because of its size and the fact it has a "lock" blade. The older I get the less nimble my fingers are to do simple cuts, etc. So, I carry my special 55 in my left front pocket in a slim leather cover (not really a sheath) so my keys won't scratch the bolsters. But then, I live in a city. When I go to camp at 9200', the 55 is still in the pocket, but a larger blade is on the belt. It's usually a Leroy Remer creation.

I'm with the guys who say the 55 is just a LEEEEETLE too small.

I'm waiting for the 220 folding Hoodlum.

Now that's a KNIFE.

I have given a number of 55 as gifts, but for my use it is just too small and wish it was a bit bigger.
Bob

We talked a lot about the 55 here when it first came out.

I may get one someday just out of curiosity. It just never really grabbed me.

What's not to love? This is my 55.

buck0551.jpg

buck0552.jpg

While the 55 is a tad on the small side, it is suitable for any task most of us run across daily. It's a solid knife.

I bought one, almost bought another recently since I forgot I had the first one.

I like it, well made, but it doesn't get much use in my rotation. It's an in between size that just doesn't fit into my day to day life.

I carried mine yesterday. It's a really stout little knife & it's a handy size, in my opinion.

It's a model that's been around for sometime now, that's probably why you don't see it get alot of "press" here in the forum. There are dozens of nice Bucks that don't get talked about much and not because they aren't great knives or aren't loved by their owners.

Everyone has their own idea of the perfect knife to carry; size, shape, weight, etc and Buck seems to have something for every taste.

I have a few thoughts on the 55,
Methinks it is a pretty nice looking little knife but it doesn't fill a void in my rotation as I have one of the schrades that were about the same size and I hardly ever carry it because most of my daily carries are 2 or 3 blade stockman's or jacks, pens, Trapper, Muskrat, Barlow or similar. Sometimes I've been known to carry a Gerber Silver Knight but I always go back to those mentioned above. I also prefer the size of the 110 & 112 for single blade lock-backs which I have several variations and makes of, and lastly, I'm not overly taken with the shape of the bolsters on the 55-although some folks really like it cause it's something new and a little different and I can appreciate that as I like some things that don't ring the bell of the next enthusiast. Watch, I will change my opinion and have to have one of these when they are long gone:D

I had a 55 and sold it. It's just I've found I like drop points better. The BCCI Heritage 501 has been my favorite edc lately (Top knife)
These are Bucks words from their website "Classic, compact, everyday carry. Similar in size to the 55™, the drop point blade of the Squire provides good control for slicing. Easy opening and closing with the nail notch and lockback design."...every word true;)

Buck501s.jpg

I'll probably wind up with a 55 just because its close to the 501 (I wish it was the same size) I prefer the drop point myself as its less likely to break the tip, which I'm better now about not prying with it but still sometimes you wind up in the situation where ya have to.

I've seen a few complaints about the 55's size...I think it's adequate. It's bigger than Monticello.
DSCN0412.jpg

Funny thing -- I had to go to town late this afternoon and stopped in one of our two sporting goods stores. Asked the owner if he had a Buck 55 in stock and he looked in a box under the counter and came up with one NIB he'd had for quite some time. The knife was made in 2006. Paid him 30-bucks out the door and when I left, I told him he'd probably sell more knives if he kept them out on the counter instead of under it. It didn't phase him as he is a retired banker and runs the sporting goods store more as a hobby than a business. Keeps him busy and out of trouble.

I have a Buck55 and really like it even though it's bit smaller than I would prefer. It fits perfect in the pocket watch pocket on most my jeans. I will have to say though that I think the 501 is the perfect EDC size and I prefer the drop point to the clip point. Scott, that BCCI Heritage 501 is very nice, wish they still had some since I just joined but they have no more to my knowledge:(

I have a few of the little 55's, they are real lookers.
IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_6191.jpg

jb4570

Back