Why no rear talon hole??

slag

Basic Member
I imagine this would be a question that only Jerry would really know the answer to, but anyone else with a thought, don't hesitate to chime in.

I have a Badger Attack-E on the way to me, and am sure I will be very pleased. However, there was something that kept bugging me about this particular model....that is, there is no rear talon hole(concluded this from pics I've seen). I was just curious as to why there isn't one?
I tend to throw 550 cord wherever I can, and really like the use of a rear anchor tie(lanyard).
I imagine that the exposed tang aft the micarta, does not allow enough room for the proper sized hole to be drilled. If this is the case, I got to thinking, why not notch the bottom rear corners on both sides(a half circle or something), and put it there?

Boy....now I'm really gonna feel like an idiot if there is actually one there, and I have just missed it in the pics
redface.gif

I'm not exactly sure why either, but I imagine that it is to destinguish it from the NO. They are very similar, and if there was a rear talon hole, they would be nearly identical. But since they're for using, I'd want one on there.

The rear talon hole was left off for three reasons:

1.) It allows for more concealable or easy day-to-day carry due to its shorter length.

2.) The Badger Attack has been one of our most popular knives to be employed as a big game hunter. (Elk, Caribou, Bear, etc. . .) In order to facilitate this application where the knife will be used in an upside down fashion for a good period of time, it became obvious that the rear talon was going to be in the way, thus the removal.

3.) It is very difficult to chop with a short blade. The removal of the rear talon allows for comfortable "choking back" on the handle so that you can employ a 3-finger grip (no pinky) and you can achieve very impressive chopping results with this blade. This "choking back" simply lengthens the knife and offers a better "chopping balance" point.

As for losing the advantage of the rear talon hole for lanyard purposes, I think that you'll be more than pleasantly surprised as to how comfortable the knife still feels with the lanyard run through the rear tube flange. We have even attached a cord-braided D-guard to the BAE using the front talon hole and rear flange.

Hope this helps,

Jerry Busse

[This message has been edited by Jerry Busse (edited 04-21-2001).]

Jerry,
Thanks for the reply.....as those answers would not have been something I would have concluded on my own. From what you said of the knife, I look forward to it's arrival even more so. What you said about using the rear tube flange does make sense. I had been thinking of that myself, but did not have the knife in hand to try it. However, that's likely what I'll do...if I feel the need for cord.
I will most likely be using it for utility type tasks, thanks to it's small size/great strength combination. It never hurts to have a multi-use little piece of chunky metal at hand. That there's an edge, even makes it more appealing.
Again, I appreciate your reply!
wink.gif

Andrew....
As for distinguishing between the BA-E and NO, there's also that 1.5" difference in blade length
smile.gif
smile.gif
So hopefully too many people wouldn't have that problem!

[This message has been edited by slag (edited 04-21-2001).]

Back