Why no Recon 1 XL in Spear Point?

Please build me the recon 1 XL with full flat grind in spear point, just like the XL version of the clip point! Then take all my money! Love you Cold Steel!

You're not the first to wonder at the lack of such a knife in CS's line up. Why it doesn't exist remains a mystery. :confused:

I'm one of those bushcrafty types, my XL voyager clip point was my go to, that thing went through hell and survived (until it got stolen when I got robbed) :(. It was my favorite knife ever! I would love to replace it with something not quite as stabby and a little thicker on the tip! Also, love how they go from saber to flat on the XLs, i need it!

Spear points are my favorite too, I'd love one on both Voyagers and on the XL Recon. Both would be "shut up and take my money" knives. I have no use for that weird vaquero shape, I just don't understand why spear points aren't offered on either Voyager or the XL Recon 1s?

Excellent question! I've already posted this query on this sub-forum. It would seem to be a no brainer for CS to offer an XL spearpoint. I was hoping they'd bring one out in 2016 but instead we got the Broken Skull which does absolutely nothing for me. It also strikes me as simply too weenie a knife for CS to offer and I'm surprised a big tough ex-wrestler like Stonecold Steve Austin would want his name associated with it.

It also strikes me as simply too weenie a knife for CS to offer

Ahh yes, it simply can't compete with the tactical ferocity of the Tuff Lite, or Code 4, or Lone Star Hunter, right? Stone Cold presumably wanted his name associated with it cause it seems like about as perfect a carry knife you can get, which makes it seem like an ideal design from a man who professes to carry a knife for utilitarian purposes, not to fight off Mongol hordes.

Fighting off Mongol hordes or their equivalent is what Cold Steel knives are ,or at least were, all about. I guess Shiftless carries a pink handled Broken [ or should that be 'bruised'] Skull in the pocket of his Capri's.

Fighting off Mongol hordes or their equivalent is what Cold Steel knives are ,or at least were, all about. I guess Shiftless carries a pink handled Broken [ or should that be 'bruised'] Skull in the pocket of his Capri's.

Allow me to me give you a little history lesson champ:Cold Steel has long done a mix of utility oriented and combat oriented blades. The Tuff Lite and Mini Tuff Lite are not tactical knives. The Med Voyagers are not tactical knives. The Micro Recons are not tactical knives. The Lonestar and Mackinac Hunters are not tactical knives. The Canadian Belt Knife is not a tactical knife. The Finn Wolf is not a tactical knife, neither is the Finn Bear, Pendleton Hunter, the Lucky, the Kudu, the Pocket Bushman, the Ranch Boss, the Ultimate Hunter, or you know, their entire line of kitchen knives. Were you unaware of the existence of all those knives till now? If so, maybe next time, instead of insulting me, you should learn a little more about the company you're talking about before you actually talk about it? Might help keep you from looking like a moron, maybe.

Oh, yeah, and if you do want a "fighting" folder, the Broken Skull still has a sharply pointed 4 inch blade...you know, same length as "tactical" folders like the Recon 1, the Counter Point 1 and 2, and the 4" Ti-lite?

I wouldn't mind a spear point XL Recon 1, if it was flat ground. I have a clip point XL in CTS-XHP. The point is thin, but I can't find any documented failures. For defense purposes, it's great.

I'm kinda curious why the XL isn't available in spear point too. Seems odd that you can get the regular in a spear point, but only the tanto and clip point models get the XL treatment.

As stuff gets bigger the selection gets smaller. That's why Bertha can't find that dress she wants in her size.

Well Shiftless I may well be a moron [ unfortunately however I am not now nor will I ever be a Champ] but I'm certainly no stranger to Cold Steel knives. I bought my first CS product over a quarter century ago and I am currently the greedy owner of over 75 CS products including not only knives, but swords, axes ,spears, canes, machetes and ,I'm sure, other items I can't think of right now.
I often peruse the Cold Steel catalog so I'm aware of the knives you list and I have little or no interest in any of them. What I think distinguishes the Broken Skull from the knives you mention is the ,in my opinion, undeserved fanfare around it's release. Also if it had merely been one folder among a large offering I probably would be barely aware of it. For a hardcore fan of Cold Steel's XL folders it's galling to see the fuss made over a puffball folder with no new releases of XL folders [like an XL spearpoint for example] to balance things out a little.

What I think distinguishes the Broken Skull from the knives you mention is the ,in my opinion, undeserved fanfare around it's release. Also if it had merely been one folder among a large offering I probably would be barely aware of it. For a hardcore fan of Cold Steel's XL folders it's galling to see the fuss made over a puffball folder with no new releases of XL folders [like an XL spearpoint for example] to balance things out a little.

It gets that fanfare because most of us carry knives as tools, not weapons. Sure, all(most?) of us buy "weapon" knives as well, but as something for actual daily carry and use, the Broken Skull is pretty much perfect for the task(maybe still too large for some people, it's STILL a 4 inch blade). High quality materials, light weight, slim, an insanely good price point, and color options to suit different tastes, there's not much more you can ask for in an EDC knife(though some people are are asking for one without the writing and the DLC, I suppose but even most of them say it's only a minor issue).

Back