Why Not A Kephart Style Model?

Well, I've always loved a Kephart styled knife and been seeing where some have been making them from an Old Hickory butcher knife. I decided to make one today, there's a good ole time hardware store here in my town that stocks the full like of Old Hickory kitchen knives so went and picked one up earlier, got the seven inch model, I cut it down to a 5" blade. Spent a couple of hours on it reshaping the blade and handle, then to finish it up I soaked the handle in some Danish oil to darken it up and give it a good water proofing. I think it would be awesome and a great seller if Ontario designed there own Kephart model with a little thicker blade and more refined handle, I really like how mine came out, love the blade shape and boy is it sharp,... here it is.:thumbup:
16102ca7b22d379d57acc979bf4c92f5.jpg

b2d83835199cf677b17a583eed0a7bc0.jpg

I've always kinda thought of that as more of a tactical model, I lean towards the one I made as kinda being more of a traditional mountain style Kephart

I agree, the SK5 has the same shape, but its a very modern looking knife. I like my camping/outdoors knives to have wood handles, and I love the look of the Old Hickory blades. Everything about them is cool and "old-timey" looking, they're great. That's the thing, its not just being Ontario that makes them cool, its that they're Old Hickory kepharts! Please do it OKC!!!

I need to reshape the handle of mine like you did, I'm sure it will only make it better.

Nice work FordRanger, I just finished up making a custom kydex sheath for mine, clicks in nice and secure, I like the kydex because I don't have to worry about my knife hopping out while atv and dirt bike riding.
b0c4d78017723cf7cbf9ba71be3c1144.jpg

Thanks LG&M, really pleased with mine as well, may pick up a couple more and switch it up, maybe micarta handle on one and different blade lengths, can't beat the price.

Thanks LG&M, really pleased with mine as well, may pick up a couple more and switch it up, maybe micarta handle on one and different blade lengths, can't beat the price.
Great job!! I like yours way better than the Blackbird.

I'd like to see the Old Hickory brand give Condor some competition on both a Kephart and Nessmuk knife.
I think the Old Hickory would be closer to the originals, since they both specified a thinner blade with a little more flex than the Condor has.
I know I would buy at least two of each style should OKC bring the out in the Old Hickory brand.

Back