Why simple carbon steels.

With all respect for everybodys opinion I am amazed to see so many people that prefer simple carbon steels like 1095 in their pocket knives.

An example, a Schrade old timer verses an Uncle Henry with a blade of 440A. The 440a blade will hold an edge in my experience as long or longer than the 1095 blade and will be stain resistant to boot.

Now I am talking about simple steels here not the specialty carbon steels like M2, CPM 10V ect, or even D2.

But does anybody really believe that a pocket knife in 1095 or 1084 ect. will hold an edge better than 440a,440c,vg-10, ats-34, the list goes on.

Thanks for your opinion.

I think 1095 will withstand more abuse than the 440 series.

I don't think it holds an edge better or worse than ats-34 or vg-10, but it certainly would make a difference who produced it as well.

Brownie

The main arguement is ease of sharpening for the plain carbon steels over the high alloy stainless blade. In regards to edge holding, a really hard 1095 blade will stay sharp much longer, but of course outside of the customs no one makes them that way. It is also traditional, and a lot of people simply don't like stainless for no more reason than you don't like the color blue.

-Cliff

I know my Spyderco Endura in VG-10 will hold an edge longer, but my Marbles, and Schrade 1095 knives will get MUCH sharper.

1095 takes a much finer edge than 440A and the blade is stronger. Since I don't ever consider a 440 blade to be truly sharp its edge holding time is zero. This is not true of VG-10. The primary advantage of 1095 over VG-10 is toughness.

In my experience, blades in 1095 hold an edge noticeably better than 440A, and as long as 440C, maybe even as long as ATS-34 and 154CM. It is also tougher, with much less chipping of the edge. A custom that is tempered to about 62 Rockwell would hold an edge longer than ATS-34 and 154CM and still be as resistant to chipping, I think. Cliff probably knows for sure. I think that a lot of people like it because you can get a factory slipjoint in 1095 much cheaper than one in a premium stainless, so most people have more experience with it. Lots of people, myself included, like the patina that develops on a carbon steel blade.

I have Schrade stockmans in both steels and I do feel the 1095 sharpens better and easier and stays sharp longer.

Still I am happy with 440A and carry an Uncle Henry as EDC, just because that way I don´t have to worry much about rust (though the springs have blackened quite a bit). I do feel 440A can get very sharp, at least the thin blades of my stockmans do.

In the Schrades I have there isn´t much diference in price, but there is in cutting ability and ease of care, take your pick depending on your particular needs, it´s good to have a choice.

Originally posted by wire eddge
The 440a blade will hold an edge in my experience as long or longer than the 1095 blade and will be stain resistant to boot.

I think if you're into steeply reprofiling and polishing your edges with the finest hone or stropping compound, you'd notice a difference. For the remaining 99.89% of the world, 440A would be a better choice of those two.

We are the few, the oft-ashamed, the knifeknuts!

Why do I like simple carbon steels?

Because they are hella cheap and have never failed to do everything that I have asked of them.

Compare two fixed blades of like kind and quality, one made out of a simple carbon steel and the other made out of 154CM or some similar premium stainless. The Camillus CQB series is a good example for comparison purposes.

Generally the performance is very similar, with the exception of stain resistance. I've always been more pleased with the sharpening and usage properties of carbon steel, YMMV.

Generally the price difference is quite large, on the order of 80% or therabouts. This is quite a premium to pay for increased corrison resistance; and outside of a few limited applications I don't see that it's worth it.

Originally posted by Cliff Stamp
The main arguement is ease of sharpening for the plain carbon steels over the high alloy stainless blade. In regards to edge holding, a really hard 1095 blade will stay sharp much longer, but of course outside of the customs no one makes them that way. It is also traditional, and a lot of people simply don't like stainless for no more reason than you don't like the color blue.

-Cliff

cliff,

what about the knives of TOPS? they claim to make their products of *1095 high carbon alloy rc58*. as far as i know those knives are all serial made, not custom made. i ask because i'm looking for a large hard using knife and the 11" blade of the *steel eagle* is the top favourite on my list. any thoughts?

regards, holger

I like 1095, alot. It is really great on the abuse-handling factor, easy to sharpen, and Cheap. Not that Fishbulb didn't already say this. I would buy more 1095, if more companies offered it. I like TOPS, but i think that they could go a liitle cheaper on its carbon steel offerings.--Joe

1095, for me, takes a sharper edge easier and holds it longer than the 440 series steels, and is tougher than all of them. 440A doesn't take nearly as good an edge to me, and doesn't hold it. 440C takes and holds a good edge, but not as quickly. And 154/34 get at least as sharp and hold their edge better, but it takes longer still. I prefer good SS for folders, mainly because toughness is not often a requirement.

I like simple carbon steels for a number of reasons.

I think they take a finer edge than the 440 series steels, or at least a grabbier edge. That may be subjective, though.

I also like the patina that a carbon steel blade acquires over a period of time. It adds character.

I know there are higher performing steels, but I enjoy touching up the edge on a vintage carbon steel slipjoint. I find it relaxing sometimes, and they come back so quickly that it is no trouble.

And then, I am kind of a retro sort also. Carbon steel and slipjoints go together like peas and carrots. If Forrest Gump didn't say that, he should have.:)

Depending on the heat treat, a carbon steel blade can hold a great edge. I have some carbon steel slipjoints that are nothing to brag about, and I have some that hold an edge better than my ATS-34 and VG-10 blades. Once you find a good one, you won't want to go back to 440A or 440C, unless you are in a high-corrosion environment. And they take a finer edge and are tougher than most stainless steels at similar hardness.

cal..45 :

what about the knives of TOPS? they claim to make their products of *1095 high carbon alloy rc58*. as far as i know those knives are all serial made, not custom made. i ask because i'm looking for a large hard using knife and the 11" blade of the *steel eagle* is the top favourite on my list. any thoughts?

Swamp Rat knives make directly better blades in terms of handle ergonomics, tip penetration, cutting ability, chopping ability and far exceed the Tops blades in terms of durability and overall toughness/strength.

-Cliff

I like 1095 a lot in a custom blade. I would be willing to compare it against any 440 series steel for edge holding and ease of sharpening. That said, I think that 440-c is still a pretty good steel for the average user.
IMHO, a forged 1095 is in another class than one made by a factory. Ask me how I know. My two cents.

Back