Why the factory clip on Swayback is so tall?

When I received my swayback, I immediately noticed the hotspot from the clip. But only until I read another reddit post, I didn't realized that the clip on swayback is not the same as standard Spyderco hourglass clips. It's much taller.

I replaced it with one spare on from PM2. The hotspot disappeared immediately. but due to different hole position, I can only add two screws on the clip. I really don't understand why Spyderco didn't just put a standard one on Swayback. I quite like the shining finish as it matches with stonewashed mirror finish on the blade. I am not big fan of Titanium deep carry pocket.

Other observation, the factory clip does not handle the contoured scale well. Maybe using a softer titanium clip is better.

Last edited:
You're not the first person scratch your head over that clip.

If I was making guess I would say it was an unfortunate last minute compromise to ship the knives in the expected window.

it's not like the clip on the early images that circulated. I know that wasn't anything official but it had a much more organic look that the final version.

D Danke42 , thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I can understand the different hole position as Taiwan uses Metric, but I can't understand why they didn't use the same shape of the standard Spyderco clip.

Now I have an interesting solution but works well for me. I have a rip-off PM2 since long time ago. I took the clip ------ yes, it's in Metric too. So the hole position is identical to Swayback. It's also very slightly lower and wider than a genuine spyderco PM2 clip. So the directly benefits,
  1. identical holes' position
  2. wider so 80% of the clip touches the frame not added pressure on lock bar
  3. 3mm to 4mm lower than the factory clip with the Swayback. It's surprising that such small difference makes such big different in removing hotspots.
https://i.imgur.com/VHQlJkD.jpeg
VHQlJkD.jpeg

The clip is a mystery. There seems to be very few people who think it makes sense from either a design or ergonomic viewpoint.

It isn't a bad clip per se but in terms of design and continuity it should have been the wire clip. That said, given the configuration I bet that would have created a hot spot too so I can see why that wasn't chosen. Maybe the compromise was to use a fairly standard clip - matching the tone of the blade - that would allow people some freedom to tinker with other clips rather than create a new one off clip just for this model.

The after market deep carry titanium clip I've added is perfect for it - it fits the design, the look and feel of the handle and works ergonomically (secure in pocket and no hotspot in hand). I'm glad there are a few work arounds that people are happy with and it can quickly become a non-issue.

Sir.Campalot Sir.Campalot It's a very nice mod.

Clem Fandango Clem Fandango May I ask which clip you use? I also tried a deep carry clip today. Mine hangs off a lit bit but it definitely removes all hot spots. It's so comfortable to hold the knife in hands.

Except for the clip, the Swayback is such a nice knife. A winner in this price range and a keeper for me.

Sir.Campalot Sir.Campalot It's a very nice mod.

Clem Fandango Clem Fandango May I ask which clip you use? I also tried a deep carry clip today. Mine hangs off a lit bit but it definitely removes all hot spots. It's so comfortable to hold the knife in hands.

Except for the clip, the Swayback is such a nice knife. A winner in this price range and a keeper for me.
This one - I think a few others have also used this (and the solid version): https://mxggear.com/collections/man...ep-carry-pocket-clip-for-spyderco-manix-2-g10

Item# 102381

Ha!
I didn’t believe everyone saying the hole pattern is different from other OE spoon clips, so I tried it against a Delica last night. Yup. Just barely different enough to prevent a direct clip swap.

The Rhino (also Taichung) is different still, but at least that one is Benchmade compatable.

I don’t hate the OE Swayback clip, but I still might swap it when I find something I like more. I’d prefer something longer that the MXG everyone is using, but still with the “tight” bend. The Purvis clip is amazing, but I’m not dropping that much $$$ for a clip.

Just eyeballing the pic, it looks like the standard Taichung Spyderco clip that's been around at least since the first Gayle Bradley folder. Not sure why it differs.

kreole kreole , thanks for the info. I just realized that all my previous Taichung models are with wire clip or special clip (McBee, K2). I think you are right that the clip is the standard Taichung clip, which has been used on Paysan and many knives.

BD_01 BD_01 , I hear you. I am waiting for something different from MXG deep carry pocket. One clip I am looking at is https://mxggear.com/collections/del...-deep-carry-pocket-clip-for-spyderco-knife-10. also FYI, I believe the hole pattern difference comes from Metric vs Imperial Units.

Pardon the tangent, but has anyone received a swayback pre-order from Bladehq yet?

Maybe u can just cancel and get from some dealer on Reddit instead? They have really good price.
Thanks for the replies guys. I caved and already ordered one when they first popped up at GPK. I'll probably just sell the other on the exchange whenever it finally comes in.

Back