Why the fascination with Gransfors?

I purchased my G-B Scandinavian Forest Axe because ever since I was a young man, I've wanted one. Plain and simple. And, I was lucky enough to purchase mine when they were still priced for mortal men. I think they're well made and that they provide value for the money. Are there better Axes out there? Probably. Can I afford them? Probably not.

The 'refurbishment' route is very attractive. If, you can find a 'name' Axe with a known steel quality in good enough shape to be refurbished, you could have a great project and Axe. However, just because something is old, doesn't mean it was made well. Although, statistically, there is a better chance of getting a quality piece.

I'm not going to get into the whole 'Lumbersexual and Hipster' conversation. I remember when 'they' latched on to my beloved Harley-Davidson and priced them out of reach for a normal working guy. Like the poor, 'they' will always be with us.

I have a few specialty Axes. Hand-forged Carving Axes, which are pricey, but IMHO, well worth the cost of admission for what I use them for.

SJ

I went through the phase myself, but now I prefer the fun of hunting and restoring vintage heads. However, of all the axes I have tried, old and new alike, the best performing axe I have is a very old boys axe marked simply =MADE IN USA=, and it has cheeks flatter than any GB. So personally I am not really buying into this "flat cheeks are bad" thing, but again I am not a lumberjack.

So personally I am not really buying into this "flat cheeks are bad" thing, but again I am not a lumberjack.

The thinner the bit, the less of a difference it makes because the reduced radius you can even put on the centerline. And the effects of having one are largely over-emphasized. It does have some effect, and a noticeable one in thicker bits, but it's much less than popular lore would have one believe.

It depends what you're using it for. For chopping and felling the convex cheeks will reduce bind and ease the work. For bushcraft work the thinner bit can be an advantage.

I guess these Swedish axes cut a lot of green softwoods, and admittedly that's what I was cutting mostly as well. (Some birch and maple, too)
High centerline are sexier though, I must say. The more curves the better is my motto!

New here and just had to post as I just got a few new axes. Two of them are Granfors Burks and the other is a Biber. Really, I only wanted the SFA for camping and was compelled to get the American Felling Axe due to my attraction of fine tools. I also look at yard sales and such and have had a few good finds.

Left to Right;
New Hardcore Hatchet
GFB SFA
GFB AFA
Yard sale find marked "Germany" $2 It's about 2-1/2 pounds and I gave it a new hang with 28in handle
Trusty old hardware store axe of 25years or more. New hang last week.
Chopper 1, Found this at a yard sale $30 still looking for new handle.
New Biber Classic, Bought this before I found the Chopper. We go through about 4 cords a year.
Good ole maul, I believe this is its 4th handle.
Heads were yard sale finds.

Last edited:
"ashae is spot on for most folks, as well as a little bit of the romanticism of the "hand forged" aspect of it.

Also, today's society is one of convenience for first world countries. There are a lot of things you pay for every day that people in third world countries would think of as a waste of money.

Not everyone wants to scour flea markets and craigslist looking for old tools, and then take the time to restore them."

My thoughts exactly!
I would have loved to be able to find an old axe head worth restoring but i got sick of looking and went with the gransfors instead. Its a great axe and i think its the next best option to restoring a vintage one.

ec8119883a67df5082fa918778509061.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back