Why tightening the pivot screw on the Benchmade 470 may NOT reduce play

First, let me say, if you have an issue with blade play on your 470 model and tightening the pivot screw a tad doesn't help, you can send it into the good folks at Benchmade and they will take care of it for you.

Taking the knife apart may create a warranty issue for you.

I think this is a great little knife and an awesome EDC and should fly open without any blade play at all.

With that said, I'm into watchmaking and clockmaking so I also enjoy maintaining my own guns and knives.

Inside the 470 there is a threaded ring with 3 notches. They have a special tool to install / adjust it. If this ring loosens up, you will have excessive side to side play in the blade which CANNOT be resolved by tightening the pivot screw. Tightening the screw will have no effect whatsoever if the threaded ring is loose.

Here are some shots for anyone who is curious:
470a_zps8929b522.jpg

Turn CLOCKWISE to tighten and remove all blade play.
470b_zps46ac26a7.jpg

Cheers, Ed

I don't have a 470, but this was an interesting read with fantastic pictures. Thanks Ed!

I don't have a 470, but this was an interesting read with fantastic pictures. Thanks Ed!

The 470 is a great knife, little pricey but neat design and very well made. I know that blade play has been an issue for others besides me so I thought I would through this out there.

Thanks

Finally! I just registered on the forum just to thank you Ed. Hope you got this cause I've been trying to solve this issue with my emissary for some time now. It was solid till I tried to oil it a tad and crazy blade play was the result. Just took it apart again and tightened the 3 notch ring and now I have my favorite edc knife back in stellar performance. Thanks again for the post.
Tim

Finally! I just registered on the forum just to thank you Ed. Hope you got this cause I've been trying to solve this issue with my emissary for some time now. It was solid till I tried to oil it a tad and crazy blade play was the result. Just took it apart again and tightened the 3 notch ring and now I have my favorite edc knife back in stellar performance. Thanks again for the post.
Tim

Hey Tim that's great, glad you found the thread and were able to solve your blade-play issue. This was a head-scratcher at first, "The Pivot Screw is tight... how can this thing be so loose???" haha.... Stick around a bit, the forums here are cool with a lot of "sharp" folks and really nice knives.

Thanks for taking the time to write!

Cheers, Ed

I don't have a 470, but I just might pick up the new larger version when it comes out. I think this thread will come in handy for sure when the time comes. Thanks!

Back