Why was the Vaquero Voyager 4" discountinued?

Lightly used?

The Civilian has no utility value at all. If it has been "lightly used" it's probably in a police evidence locker somewhere.

The Cold Steel Vaquero is a much more useful shape.

Lightly used by opening/closing and practicing with, not doing any cutting.
Still, the fragile tip broke off. Overpriced POS.
The BTII sh!ts all over it at about 2/3rds the price.

If CS brings back the 4" Vaquero, I hope it is in CTS/XHP along with the original Grivory handle and not G-10
I would easily pay $75.00-$100 for such a knife, if not more due to the outstanding ergonomics of that knife.
It fits my hand like it was made for it.
I have two, a PE and a SE and will buy at least one more SE as it's my favorite CS knife although they are drying up on the secondary market.
Got my first one on close-out for $25.00 delivered. Had I known what I was getting, I would have ordered the max number (3) allowable, then ordered 3 more the next day.
I also polished out the Sheet metal 'Tactical finish' as it looks like sh!t and gave it a mirror polish using Flitz metal polish. Looks freakin' great.
Absolutely love the Large Vaquero and if they made one with Carpenter steel, I would find my dream folder
I would give the Spartan a try, but it's too damn heavy.
Maybe I'll settle for a Tanto or a Clip Point, but it won't be the same as that beautiful recurve.

I use my old style El Hombre for basically all tasks possible.Never let me down.This blade shape cuts like crazy, and I put this blade through hell.Excellent knife and blade shape.Everyone should have one :)

Couldn't agree more. I love my huge Vaquero. Actually, I really like the Civilian as well, but can't come up with a single practical use for it, once I open any packages I happen to receive in the mail. (and I receive quite a few). I own a LOT of pocket knives which would serve me just as well as the Civilian in a close, self defense situation. Don't honestly know why Spyderco thinks that exaggerated hook bill is so much better for self defense. . shrug

Cause. Its shaped like an animals claw. One doesn't need super knife fighting training. .they just open, hold and swipe at target. For self defense and offense claw shaped knives work well.....if they didnt nature would evolved claws to look like a clip point.;)

Cause. Its shaped like an animals claw. One doesn't need super knife fighting training. .they just open, hold and swipe at target. For self defense and offense claw shaped knives work well.....if they didnt nature would evolved claws to look like a clip point.;)

Whatever. I like the curved blades and have no doubt they're useful (I own a fixed blade and a folder) , regardless of nature, which I find somewhat irrelevant, but have done just fine without for 70 years, so.... I feel no disadvantage, or doubt, that I can defend myself sufficiently without a claw-shaped blade. Without formal training, super or not, which I think, for the everyday person, isn't necessary....if not a bit silly, in todays age and society..

Last edited:
If you look at the design of the hawkbill blade, it is meant to inflict as much damage as possible, including having the "hook" drag, catch and rip muscle, ligaments, blood vessels and anything else it might catch.

The Civilian and now the Black Talon II are arguably the best defensive knives on the market, with the BTII raising the stakes.

There are others that can explain it better than I can, but if you think about it, it makes sense.

Which is why the BTII has replaced my VG1 Vaquero Grandé as my SD knife and the Grandé will be put away and hopefully go up in value as I can't find them for sale anywhere in VG1

Whatever. I like the curved blades and have no doubt they're useful (I own a fixed blade and a folder) , regardless of nature, which I find somewhat irrelevant, but have done just fine without for 70 years, so.... I feel no disadvantage, or doubt, that I can defend myself sufficiently without a claw-shaped blade. Without formal training, super or not, which I think, for the everyday person, isn't necessary....if not a bit silly, in todays age and society..

Dont misunderstand my post. All sharp objects can and will inflict damage. My comment was on the claw shaped spyderco and why it is the shape that it is. They just went for the most effective shape possible with the least amount of training needed. Nature knows a thing or two when it comes to predators weapons. The claw shape has evolved over millions of years for a good reason.

I myself prefer a persian shaped blade. More for looks than usefulness...but it cuts just fine too.

. Nature knows a thing or two when it comes to predators weapons. The claw shape has evolved over millions of years for a good reason.

I myself prefer a persian shaped blade. More for looks than usefulness...but it cuts just fine too.

The Persian shape is my favorite as well (the Becker BK5 being the perfect combo of practical , yet useful slicer, while being a marvelous and effective self defense knife) but...isn't it interesting that its shape is diametrically opposed to the claw, which in my mind has few uses...opening packages and..... opening humans.

The Hawkbill is also why a Karambit in the hands of a Filipino kid is so deadly - it takes little practice to use it in a lethal manner and the blade shape is as deadly as they come.
As mentioned, the Claw Shape has gone thru thousands of years of evolution and being perfected over time.
It's not a blade shape to mess with.

It's also why Spyderco used it for the Civi and why CS used it for the BT

It's just flat-out evil.
I feel sorry for the poor bastard that may be on the receiving end of it, even if they are trying to take my life.
I would rather be shot than sliced up by a hawkbill.

I never had much desire for this version. But I came across a new XL that was being dumped at a price I'll never see again, so I just had to grab it. I am close to being satiated with the AUS8A's, as I just ordered a Marauder. It may be time for this old boy to move into the new upgraded steel next.

I never had much desire for this version. But I came across a new XL that was being dumped at a price I'll never see again, so I just had to grab it. I am close to being satiated with the AUS8A's, as I just ordered a Marauder. It may be time for this old boy to move into the new upgraded steel next.

I've been eyeing the Marauder for about a year now.
It might be my next purchase.

Back