Why would you buy a custom knife?

What are your reasons for buying a custom knife?

• The knife is handmade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like knowing the person who made it

• Fancier materials

• Higher quality materials

• Collectability

• One-on-one Customer Service

• Braggin' rights :D

• I prefer factory over custom knives

• I sometimes prefer custom over factory knives

• I usually prefer custom over factory knives

• Total voters

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What are your TOP THREE primary reasons....governing factors.....for paying 2, 3 even 10 times as much for custom knife than a factory made knife?

Any knife, any maker...

What is it that makes you "cross the line" to picking up a custom knife?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

:eek:

Dan

I have a total of maybe 10-12 knives, 2 being custom, the rest being super quality productions. The primary reason why I got them was because they were designs that I really liked at a reasonable price, both of them were less than a buck fifty out the door.

1. Koster Bushcraft - couldn't pass that deal up
2. Kid Coteau Nessmuk - had to see what the fuss was all about

My reasons are usually:

1. It looks cool, and

2. I have the money to buy it.

I'm very much a compulsive knife buyer, and am not too interested in ordering.

My reasons would be roughly:

1- Good customer service. I like knowing that another person is taking direct consideration of what I want and applying it to the blade.

2- Higher quality components/build quality. This goes hand-in-hand with the concept that it should be better thought out in general, such that it fit the hand better and exhibit cleaner form.

Mostly for the designs and steel choices. I have no problem with high quality productions, and own many, but there are some really cool designs by custom makers.

I have many reasons but here are a few in no particular order.
- Customer service
- Build/Design quality
- Warranty/Guarantee
- Creativity. Mine and the maker's.

Don't really see the option that would be my choice. The main reason I will buy a Custom Knife is because I can a knife made to my specifications & not the factories.

A good example would be the Scandi-Nessmuk I have coming from you. How many production Nessmuks you see out there with a Scandi-grind?

Add in better materials & attention to detail, most times, along with dealing with a craftsman & not a employee, and I don't mind the higher prices as much.

It's simple... Custom makers care about their customers, corporations do not.

I didn't mark any options because none quite fit.

The main reason I have bought customs are the following.

Wanted a knife made to my specs.

Wanted certain features such as blade shapes, handle shapes or grinds that were not available commercially.

Also I'd take exception with the "2, 3 even 10 times as much"

Most of the customs I have bought have been priced similar to production knives, or only slightly higher and I don't mind paying 5 or 10% more for something that more closely fits what I want.

My 2 cents........

1. Higher level of quality, I'm talking materials, finish, and overall style/aspect of the knife
2. Handmade is always better, machines take no pride in their work!!!!!

Wanted certain features such as blade shapes, handle shapes or grinds that were not available commercially.

Also I'd take exception with the "2, 3 even 10 times as much"

Most of the customs I have bought have been priced similar to production knives, or only slightly higher and I don't mind paying 5 or 10% more for something that more closely fits what I want.

Plus 1 on that :thumbup: Out of the several customs I have, most of them are based on sketches that I sent to the maker showing what I wanted. None are too out of the ordinary looking, sometiems just a tweak here or there make a knife look perfect to me.

Bingo! But several of the reasons in the poll would apply too.

1. Good custom knife maker take pride in their work = top quality product.
  2. I generally have some input into what the knife is made of, and the design
  3. I like knowing I'm supporting someone that works hard to create a good quality tool, takes pride in what materials he/she uses and where those materials might come from.

Generally has nothing to do with collectability for me anyways. I use all my knives. I'm not a safe queen collector, not that there is anything wrong with that.;):D

I agree with Hollow Dweller, its about getting exactly the knife that you want.

Back