Wicked custom shop RR Spike Hawk!!! (cool pic)

Originally posted by Mtnclimber69
Well Fella's I will try to get some new pics to you over the weekend.... I am hoping to get the wicked hawk tomorrow... unless all the chocolate and flower deliveries mess up the real business going on!

AGREED!!!!
Some people have no sense of priorities!!!!:footinmou

...well fella's, guess my comments and pics will have to wait for next week... I have a no show from the brown truck folks and have to head out now... oh well, Murphy's Law.

OK fellas... it just arrived!!!

I will try to take some pics and will need a volunteer to post them for me...

My initial impressions were, WOW :eek: what a wicked and awesome looking hawk. The finished product is lighter and the head is thinner than I expected, making this a very fast tool in the hand. It makes me feel like running around the office with it in hand yelling at the top of my lungs... however I still need my job, so that won't happen until I get home.

The only thing that would give me pause in giving this a complete 100% satisfied stamp of approval is that there is an obvious flaw in the steel underneath one side of the lower cutting edge in front. It seems to be a layered steel, and there is a space between the layers which one could fit a fingernail into. I am not sure how this would affect the performance, but it does slightly affect the looks. If this is just the way they come that is fine, but it did catch me off guard and I am not yet sure how I feel about it.

As for getting what I asked for 'visually' this is definitely that. Justin did a great job of turning an idea into something real I now have in my hands and overall I am very happy. If the flaw is just cosmetic I can accept it as such, if it will affect performance then I would be concerned. I want something I can bet my A$$ on and not worry about having it fail.

More to come...

U have a VT don't you...? How would you compare the weights...? is the RR lighter...Just trying to get an idea for when mine arrives...;)

I really should formally thank u...it's ur extra design features that made me buy it...

Get those pics up Climber ASAP!!!

I can't wait to get mine!!!!!!!1:D :D :D :D

Waiting sucks...:( ;)

Vin

Mtnclimber,

We are totally glad that you like your Hawk and that you received it in good order.

What you see is completely normal and usual to our Rogers Rangers Hawks.

We forge weld 1095 between 1018 and a lamination line results on every head. We have never had an instance of delamination or product failure from our "lean and mean" hand forging operation. It's fast, it works, and it is true to form.

Let us know if we can further assist you.

Veritas... my pleasure... nothing like brothers in arms, or in this case hawks!

I do have the VT, just played around with them both. The VT is definitely heavier than the Wicked RR, or WRR, (that's what I will call it for now). The Acetal handle feels somehow more stout, but part of that is becasue the VT has a round handle and the WRR in my case has a tapered handle of curly maple. The maple feels light and grips well...it almost wants to fly out of my hand. Luckily I have some self control or it would already have been stuck in my dining room wall. The camo finish on the steel is fantastic and looks great. I keep having to remind myself that this is a real tool and not just something pretty. The steel is wicked and makes one think of days past where people truly cut their way through the wilderness and fought for their lives with simple tools.

I may do some personal mods like wrapping the axis of the head and handle, but for the most part I wouldn't change a thing.

As for the layered steel, it does seem solid and that the 'flaw' as I see it is just cosmetic and would not become a breaking point under impact. I do believe in ATC as a company and know that they stand behind their work.

I am sure that you(Veritas) and anyone else who orders on of these will be very pleased indeed!

Cool man, glad you like it...I was real curious to know the weight differences as I wanted to utilize this for total personal defense...

Now I just need to get a shoulder rig from SS...;)

Later,

Vin Creazzo

...anyone able to post pics for me? I have a couple that you might like... one of both the VNtac hawk and the WRR right next to each other for a size comparison.

Courtesy of MTnclimber69...:eek:

I can't wait for my RR to get here...Hurry Justin!!!!!;)

Attachments

• vn_wrr2.jpg
    vn_wrr2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 91
And another...

thanks for the pics Peter...:p

Attachments

• vn_wrr.jpg
    vn_wrr.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 85
With my tax refund just a few weeks away. I just emailed Justin with the request for price quotes. Even a price quote for this customization done on an "Aggressor".

I love curly maple, looks great, but would this setup cut anything before breaking?
Thanks,
Steve

gryphon, certainly the hawk is only as strong as it's weakest link. In this case the curly maple pole is the weakest link. The steel is pretty solid, so depending on what you hit with it it will either break or do fine. I bought it with the intent of home defense, not throwing.... I am fairly sure it will cut through wood, clothing, and bad people intent on doing me harm.

Mtnclimber, that is the coolest Hawk I've ever seen! It'd almost be an honor to get whacked with that thing. What a beauty, congrats on a fine tool from a fine company!

Originally posted by Mtnclimber69
I am fairly sure it will cut through bad people intent on doing me harm.

One broken door lock a dumbass burgular breaks to enter your house or apartment...100.00

RR Variant Spike Hawk from ATC with camo finish and curly maple handle THAT YOU BOUGHT SPECEFICALLY FOR THIS TYPE OF SITUATION...roughlly 200.000

The look on the burgular's face when you come running at him with the hawk raised over your head...PRICELESS

...THERE ARE SOME THINGS MONEY CAN'T BUY, FOR EVERYTHING ELSE THERE IS ALWAYS YOUR TRUSTY TOMAHAWK FROM ATC...;) :D :p

Back