Wicked Edge Owners....

Really interested in hearing from Wicked Edge owners or anyone who has used it. Ordered the basic package and everything else they offered. What results are reasonable to expect ?? Saw the videos but would rather hear from objective users of the product.

Last edited:
I think that would depend on what "Extras" you bought. What is the highest grit stone you bought? Did you get any of the strops and paste they offer?

Bought every level of stone and strop they offer. They said the strops come with refills? So I didn't add anything there. Not too late to add.

I've got up to the 1600 grit ceramic, and it gives a good shine to the edge, but it's not a mirror by any stretch. I'd imagine the next level would start to polish nicely.

I've got up to the 1600 grit ceramic, and it gives a good shine to the edge, but it's not a mirror by any stretch. I'd imagine the next level would start to polish nicely.

Are you liking the results Tim? Do you sharpen ALL your knives pocket, folders, fixed and kitchen?

I ordered the 4 levels of strops as well.

Are you liking the results Tim? Do you sharpen ALL your knives pocket, folders, fixed and kitchen?

Yeah, the results are pretty good.

I've done a number of our kitchen knives, as well as some cheap folders, but I've got to admit the main reason I got it was to take care of my XM-18's and hunting knives.

I will eventually get some strops, but it will basically be for curiousity and fun, not that I need them any sharper than 1600 grit for any normal real world applications

I basically am interested in my knives being really sharp that's about it. The polish/mirror part will be just for something to do in my workshop. Gotta have stuff to putz with when the snow is flying. IF the W.E. gives me a dependable repeatable sharpening system that results in scarey sharp edges - I'll be happy.

IF the W.E. gives me a dependable repeatable sharpening system that results in scarey sharp edges - I'll be happy.

It will, and you will be! :thumbup:

MUCH simpler and easier repeatablity than the edge pro I tried first. Sold it less than a week after receiving it! :thumbdn:

This is my one of my users, an old school Strider GB that i sharpened to 30 degrees inclusive on the WE up to the 600 grit diamond stones, after which some stropping on leather loaded with cheap green compound.

GEDC1034.jpg

GEDC1035.jpg

GEDC1044.jpg

GEDC1038.jpg

GEDC1047.jpg

GEDC1041.jpg

It's also quite sharp, as in slicing single sheet toiletpaper sharp.

[youtube]7nLIprHUjrQ[/youtube]

I went and tried that with one of my knives I was actually pretty happy with how sharp it was.
Not sharp.
Thanks for your time and impressive show of what your sharpening accomplished.:thumbup:

This is the user Umnumzaan of a fellow member on the Dutch knife forums.
It didn't cut well since the belly of the blade was much too obtuse to get as sharp as the straight portion of the blade.
I reprofiled the edge to an even 34 degrees inclusive using the 100, 200, 400, and 600 grit diamond stones, and then refined it with SiC wet & dry paper (taped to the 600 grit stones) up to 2000 grit, after which some no-name polishing compound on the back of the used wet & dry paper.

While the resulting edge looks to be mirror polished, up close you can still see a certain haze; S30V is filled with hard & wear resistant vanadium carbides so diamond compound would have given better results but i didn't have that at the time.

Sharpness is easily hairwhittling though, and it also slices the single sheet toilet paper.

GEDC1022.jpg

GEDC1023.jpg

GEDC1028.jpg

GEDC1029.jpg

GEDC1027.jpg

GEDC1030.jpg

GEDC1033.jpg

GEDC1032.jpg

GEDC1031.jpg

GEDC1026.jpg

GEDC1025.jpg

GEDC1024.jpg

I have the standard WE and I like the way you can set and refine a very consistent bevel quickly and without the noise, dust, and heat generated by power tools. I generally take an edge through the four grits of diamonds and then move to my 4,000 grit Toromek water wheel. If it's a chisel ground edge I lap the back to a mirror on glass with 8, 4, and 2 micron diamond lapping fluid.

I guess what I'm saying is that I like the WE a lot for (very) precise alterations/regrinds -- especially on smaller knives. I already have a lot of sharpening toys. The Sharpmaker is still the single best 'toy' out there. But, the SM can only, truly, shine if a blade is set up with good factory-precise bevels; over time and with a large number of trips to the sharpmaker most people will make a blade increasingly uneven. Correcting this uneven geometry can be a pain in the ass to do on the SM -- even with the diamond rods; even though (obviously) proper technique, and time, could obviously do pretty much anything. For most people's purposes I think that the WE and a Sharpmaker (and, I suppose, any sort of potentially ersatz strop) go together like peanut butter and jelly, campfires and ghost-stories, etc. -- the sharpmaker excels at putting a screaming-sharp micro-bevel on a well-ground knife, and -- at least in my use -- the WE can quickly create EXTREMELY even bevels which are a prerequisite to further-refined, frighteningly sharp, edges.

Bear in mind -- I just got my wicked edge and have really only used it on half a dozen blades. I also, only, have the basic setup -- the green-handled diamonds are labeled 600...feel free to correct me...but, whatever it is, it is not a high enough grit for my tastes, and I would usually want to grind on an edge a little more before I start stropping. The earlier poster with the strider, clearly, got a great edge by rigging a piece of wet or dry sandpaper to the factory file. I am going to have to try that; or, make a new file that I could more easily attach WD paper or micro-finishing film to.

All in all -- I am happy I dropped the money on it, and I probably will buy more stones and strops.

I also think it could be really fun to make your own stones and strops for it, if you're into that sort of thing. I've got a piece of T-1 high-speed steel in key-stock form. I'm toying with the idea of lapping the four faces of it to four different finishes, and then getting the thing drilled out to fit the rods -- and then I'd send it off to a buddy to be put through a ferritic nitrocarburizer. The thing would be heat treated to above 66HRC and is more wear resistant than M4 -- but if you put it through FNC you harden the surface, and about .1mm of the substrate, to between 70 and 80. It's the same deal as the Ti coated drill bits basically, but deeper hardening. I'm curious to see how a super-butcher's-steel rod works on the thing...

Last edited:
Knew I asked the right folks. Not that I doubt the manufacturer but I really prefer hearing real world experience sans the sales pitch. I'm in sales and have never conversed as a salesman. Tell the truth and life stays simple.
I agree wholeheartedly about the assessment of the SM. I have a Spyderco that is almost frightening how sharp it is because it and the SM really like each other.
The WE is going to be a sub-hobby to the knife hobby I suppose.

I also think it could be really fun to make your own stones and strops for it, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you have any DMT stones made for the aligner, they're the same thickness
as the WE stones. I have a set of blank handles on order so I can glue my EF
and XXF stones to. It should be a good step before my blank hones I have
polishing tapes attached to. That or just finishing off if I don't feel like polishing the edge.

Really interested in hearing from Wicked Edge owners or anyone who has used it. Ordered the basic package and everything else they offered. What results are reasonable to expect ?? Saw the videos but would rather hear from objective users of the product.

You will love it deliriously after a little longer. Aside from the stones and strops already available, 3M PSA abrasive sheets are excellent when cut into strips and placed either on an extra set of leather strops or blank hones. The 3M stuff comes in various Micron grits and give an edge a mirror polish that is a delight as well as slcing power that is a sheer joy.
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...oduct_Code=ST-MAF.XX&Category_Code=&Search=3m

Soon the famous Shapton and Chosera stones will be available on hones for the WEPS...watch out! Soon in this case means a few weeks I believe.
As well, Clay will soon make the WEPS able to grind at repeatable angles lower than 15 degrees per side. These innovations are pluses that place this sharpener in the same arena as the Edge Pro and perhaps beyond.
For those with convex edges the WEPS maintains these by using the leather strops alone and for those who want to create a convex edge, there is a method for doing this on the site under Instructions/Advanced. Very easy to do and it will knock your socks off with the simplicity of the method!

My experiences so far have been very happy and you are correct, knife sharpening has now become a sub-hobby to my knife collecting. I never parted with money so willingly as I have with the purchase of this rig.

Warm regards mate
Leo

A follow up question if I may, I noticed on a high end knife I just purchased that the bevels are quite uneven. Knife is pretty sharp but even when testing sharpness with the tip of my thumb the knife "bites" much harder (sharper) on one side vs the other.
There was a time I would have sent it back and asked that this be corrected. Now that the W.E. should be arriving soon, is re-profiling to equal the sides well within the capabilities of the rig OR should I ask the maker to re-profile?
If after my learning curve this is doable, I have no problem doing it and save the time and energy of sending the knife back.
Thoughts?

I think there should be no problem...but as always I would ask Clay when in doubt rather than guessing. He has a toll free number on the site and he will answer with greater certainty than I. I reprofiled my ESEE-6 to a convex edge with no difficulty, it was a snap and that is why I say you should have little problem. When in doubt check it out with Clay. On the other hand try it on your own...you can't hurt anything anyway. Experiment.

Cheers
Leo

I own a Wicked Edge... I got the basic set up + ultra fine stones (800 & 1000 grit) and the ceramics (1200 & 1600). I also got the leather strops with the 14 and 10 micron paste. (I also got the curved stones for recurve blades)

I must say this is the easiest and best sharpening system I have ever used. Starting with the 100 grit and working my way up, every single one of my knives is hair whittling sharp. Haven't managed to get a 'mirror' edge yet, but I couldn't see how I could possibly make them any sharper.

The ONLY issue I've had with them is on some chisel ground blades... I don't know why but it seems that the stones don't lay quite right on the edge and I hit the top edge of the bevel and not the actual edge and so it winds up grinding down the side of the blade.

Every other knife type seems to work just fine though for me. I couldn't be happier with this system!

Again, really appreciating all of your opinions and input, thank you.
The curve and recurve capable stones, are there any examples you can site of what kind of knife would need these specialized stones?
I have mostly folders. Nothing too wierd.

Back