Wife Scared Co-Worker with Spyderco

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Day before yesterday, my wife came home from work with a story that made me chuckle.

I gave her a Spyderco Solo to go in her purse for odd chores or even self defense if necessary. Well, since one of her male coworkers was struggling to open a well-taped box, she volunteered her knife. She'd already been practicing a smooth one-hand open, so she pulled out the knife and whipped it open in one nice motion.

The coworker's eyes opened wide, and he took a step back. The first words out of his mouth were, "Is that legal?" My wife assured him that it is and opened the box for him.

He, however, insisted that any knife over 2 1/2" is illegal to carry. My wife informed him (correctly) that the legal limit in Tennessee is 4". I don't think he believed her, but she sure had a fun time watching him fidget.

Today, I had her carry her new Native in, clipped to her purse. I don't think anyone in the office is going to mess with her now.

You know, these folks who get vapor locked when you take out a serrated Spyderco used to be amusing; now, they just make me tired. You're lucky she wasn't packing a serrated Civilian, the guy probably would've croaked and the family would be sueing! Bruce

When are people going to realize that a knife is a tool?

I hear these stories all the time. I have actually had to respond to calls where people have called 911 because someone had a knife with a 2" blade. Get real people!

------------------
Dennis Bible

....Almost here, The Leading Edge....
http://www.theleadingedgeonline.com

Sheeple...
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

What the heck was that sheeple scared of, anyway? Did he think she was actually going to use her knife on him??? I can see the humor in this, but it also makes me a bit P.O.'d too at sheeples' paranoia and lack of human logic. Meanwhile every day they get in and drive their cars which, if misused, can do far more damage than a little pocketknife.

You could take an ordinary sharpened pencil or ball-point pen and inflict fatal damage if you know how.
Ah, well...
Jim

I am in no way attacking what the lady with the Solo did, but I would recommend that you never flick a knife around sheeple. They just go crazy. If you open one handed, do it slowly.

Anthony,

Did a slow open the other day to help a lady open a box of copier paper and she told me that my Blue Native looked evil!

Chris

------------------
Stay Sharp!
------------------------------
AKTI Member A000987

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by christopher:
Anthony,

Did a slow open the other day to help a lady open a box of copier paper and she told me that my Blue Native looked evil!

Chris

</font>

That's what you get for helping out the sheeple. Screw them! Next time, let her use her fingernails.
I just can't stand sheeple
mad.gif

Leo

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

My wife scared a guy where she works when she used her Cricket to cut open a box!!! (she has also been practicing her quick openings
wink.gif
) But that was nothing compared to the way this other guy freaked when she pulled out her Gerber AR-3.00!! Its only 3 inches long for crying out loud!!! And this guy is a big guy!! Sometimes it makes you want to laugh, and sometimes it makes you want to cry.......

Flinx

I stopped carrying my AFCK and Military in work for just this reason. Until I get a Delica I will carry my 812 (it may be a BM, but it has the SPYDERHOLE!!!!
biggrin.gif
)

I could tell you about what happened, but it is a long story.

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

hehehe reminds me one time i sharpened up a pencil with an afck. A guy that saw it said, "Damn that things a !@#$%^ machete!". LOL.

------------------
It hurts to be on the cutting edge.

What makes me laugh is that all these incidents are of knives being used in the most utilitarian way -- sometimes even in response to a request for help.

Can you imagine if they ever saw a real tactical folder snapped open in anger? How about a Steve Ryan #1 or a serrated Civilian?

No, let them sharpen their own pencils.

By the way, good move getting your wives armed like that. The knives themselves may be compact, convenient, and essentially inoffensive, but if they scare off that one potential jerk, that saves her a lot of trouble.

Who is going to sexually harass a women with that dread COMBAT CRICKET ???

I agree that some people are so scared of knives that there is no point in offering to help them. Still I try to carry a small knife for more public work just in case some fool decides to call the cops or something.

Whenever I need a blade for a small task (not often), I reach for the Leatherman Micra on my keychain. My folders stay hidden.

Leo

PS: My wife carries a Matriarch...

------------------

I have to agree with many of you that people ask for a knife but are not expecting anyone to have it.

I never take out a knife these days. It is not socially acceptable so if someone needs a knife I just let it slide. It has even gone so far that I don´t carry a knife for utility purpose, only for self-preservation. Be sure to protect your rights in USA. Where I live self-preservation has almost been outlawed.

/Colinz,

born in a country where you can spit on a LEO and get away with it: "it is something a LEO has to expect, not everyone likes them".

I agree with Leo.
Let them use their fingernails, teeth, car keys...whatever.
If you produce your knife, you'll be assumed to be a serial killer.
Screw 'em!
Doc

------------------
Send Lawyers, Guns and Money...

You know, guys, I am wondering if the men who are upset with women using knives are having a bit of a gender-threatening identity crisis? I mean, are they concerned because a woman with a knife is not a potential victim for them to either intimidate or to save from some other intimidator. THere are men for whom the woman must be an object to be abused or rescued, an independent woman is something to be feared. I wonder if it is the knife or the woman that these guys are fearing? Me, I would cheer if my wife were to carry a Spydie Native, but she will NOT.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Back