Wiggys Lamilite Poncho Liner...How Warm?

Hi,

I was thinking about getting two of these for camping, one for warmer weather and two for when it gets colder.

What is the lowest temperature that you think you could be comfortable under two of these (wearing a base layer)?

I really appreciate any advise you have.

Thanks,
Jason

It would need to be sewn shut or zippered like a sleeping bag otherwise your body heat will be lost out the sides. These are a little stiffer than the common nylon poncho liners so when you cover yourself with one it doesn't drape down to close itself on you.

I like them because they don't drape down but I live in a fairly warm climate. If it gets colder I'll tuck it under me to keep more heat in. By colder I mean less that 68 deg. For trips into the mountians the temps can be in the 80's and down below freezing so I use my sleeping bag. I still bring my wiggys liner and use it under my sleeping bag or if it gets hot I'll sleep on my sleeping bag and cover with the liner. If it gets to 20 deg I'll cover my sleeping bag with the liner.

I was told by somone at wiggys that once they sell out of the desert camo liners their next batch will be reversable with woodland on one side and desert on the other.

Collecter,

Thanks for the reply. So, If I used two tucked in around myself, is there any way I could stay warm below freezing? Also, o you know their dimensions and weight?

Thanks again,
Jason

Jason,

I bought one for everyone in my family. I think they're a valuable piece of kit for the car. We use the primarly for summer use in a Hennessey Hammock and as a bag liner in extreme cold.

Relative to the weight and size they are amazing...simply amazing. If you took two and layered them like the old mountain men or cowboys did on a good ground cover with a pad under a shelter it would keep you warm down to freezing - warmer with a reflective warming fire - but everyone is wired differently so if you're cold sleeper then it may not work as well. I spend a great deal of my life outdoors so I've grown acclimated over the years to the cold/damp/wind...not being ugly bu city folk who spend 98.9% of their life inside buildings and vehicles (where it is warmer generally anyway) then you might find this a little on the cold side and be challenged to find this system working effectively.

But what the heck do I know anyway!

Jason, I have used poncho liners since 1964 and also have one of Wiggy's. As stated they are not as compressible as a military poncho liner, but I found that when sleeping, they are less likely to slip off of your body as the outer cover is not nylon. I doubt that you would keep warm with two of them in below freezing weather. I have an very old EMS outer bag, that was designed to go over a down bag in the winter. It was too tight across my shoulders for that but I have used it as a light bag by itself quite successfully. It does not weigh much more than a military poncho liner, but since you are inside, and it cannot come off you, plus it covers your head, you can sleep in it comfortably in much colder weather than with a poncho liner. If you are going to be out in below freezing weather I would suggest a sleeping bag. If it gets really cold you can always put the poncho liner inside for additional warmth.

Collecter,

Thanks for the reply. So, If I used two tucked in around myself, is there any way I could stay warm below freezing? Also, o you know their dimensions and weight?

Thanks again,
Jason

I don't know the weight but the dimensions are 77" x 56"

Below freezing...I think no. For below freezing temps I like a sleeping bag with a hood and the liner is just too small to wrap my entire body and head.

For temperature ratings you can go to wiggy's website and check their sleeping bags. Wiggys lightest weight sleeping bag is rated for 40 deg and I would doubt very much that their poncho liner would do better even if it was sewn into a bag.

I suggest getting a bag rated for 20 deg colder than the temps you are expecting. My sleeping bag is rated for 20 deg and I still like having the poncho liner over me plus I wear a wool cap if the temperature gets near or slightly below freezing. If I'm expecting much colder than that I bring two sleeping bags and use the mummy bag inside my big rectangular bag....two bags are better than one!

My friend has Wiggys two bag system rated to -60 deg and he uses the complete system if the temp is near freezing. I would be cooking in it but we are all different.

I have a 20 deg North Face "Blaze" sleeping bag that I've had for several years. I find it too narrow and there is no way it would be comfortable at 20 deg. Like I said above, I need the poncho liner over it at freezing.

If I would buy it over again I would get the Wiggys "Super Light". They are honestly rated for 0 deg and come in wide or wide/long so you can tailor fit it to your body size. http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=64&CFID=2527006&CFTOKEN=57503252

If you order anything from Wiggys make sure you specify the "cheapest shipping method" and ask what that would be. My last order (2 poncho liners) I asked for Priority Mail thinking they would use a flat rate box ($8.95)...I got the package and saw the shipping was $25. Don't make my mistake!

Good luck,

Last edited:
I’ve owned several Wiggys poncho liners when the were first offered years ago. I can tell you I still have mine and they were heavily used and laundered hundreds of times and not a thread is out of place. “Bulletproof” can hardly describe them. These had supplex nylon covers. I have had real military ones I had to fix and sew up, and the Wiggys ones were unbelievably durable. They are perfect for beach use and as comforters in temperate climates. They’re expensive now but you get what you pay for. I’ve had mine for twenty years. I have several Wiggys sleeping bags and they are built to last. The Wiggys bags are more conservatively temperature rated than other bags with the same advertised rating so they’re going to be heavier and thicker.

Back