Wild West Bowie

I am solidly in the no CS logo on this style of knife.

I don't mind a cold steel logo on my EDC, or modern combat knives, but recreation bowies like this, or the Frontier Bowie, or Scottish dirk, etc seems out of place...

CS is dammed if they do, damned if they don't.

Last edited:
I am solidly in the no CS logo on this style of knife.

I don't mind a cold steel logo on my EDC, or modern combat knives, but recreation bowies like this, or the Frontier Bowie, or Scottish dork, etc seems out of place...

CS is dammed if they do, damned if they don't.
Thanks for understanding!

Yes, on recreation bowies, I wouldn't want a modern logo. On my modern CS knives, I definitely want them to keep putting their mark!

When the Broken Skull came out nearly every comment here and on the main forum were talking about how it was a great knife with way too much branding. There were TONS of posts on that subject. It was literally the biggest complaint about the knife(to the point that it was the one thing some people were hestitating to buy the knife over), and it comes up in pretty much every thread about the knife. But Cold "we do it for the customer!" Steel says nope, not reducing branding on that one!

Also, this is not a "historic recreation". It's Cold Steel doing a version of the popular Western W49 bowie. The W49 has been around since the 60's, hardly some "historic" blade like the dirk or parrying daggers. If you are going to consider that a "recreation", then the Leatherneck is a "recreation" of the Ka-bar and should not be branded either.

Last edited:
When the Broken Skull came out nearly every comment here and on the main forum were talking about how it was a great knife with way too much branding. There were TONS of posts on that subject. It was literally the biggest complaint about the knife(to the point that it was the one thing some people were hestitating to buy the knife over), and it comes up in pretty much every thread about the knife. But Cold "we do it for the customer!" Steel says nope, not reducing branding on that one!

Also, this is not a "historic recreation". It's Cold Steel doing a version of the popular Western W49 bowie. The W49 has been around since the 60's, hardly some "historic" blade like the dirk or parrying daggers. If you are going to consider that a "recreation", then the Leatherneck is a "recreation" of the Ka-bar and should not be branded either.

dont think anyone likes the billboarding. the way I'm reading is some folks would like some labeling though. I'm assuming smaller and not outlandish in 1980s fonts as usual. maybe more a small classic style stamping as buck does on some 420hc say a 119 as an example...... more for identifying the knife years later. course I could be wrong and misunderstand doing what the complaints here are saying?

I prefer myself no billboarding over all else, so I'm fine with this one as is far as logos go. less is more to me anyways... .

I returned mine, I just didn't feel that the overall CS quality and sharpness were there. Most likely I'll spend a little more money and buy a better quality Bowie. I used to buy CS with confidence, but lately I can see that things have changed.

I used to buy CS with confidence, but lately I can see that things have changed.

What do you mean lately? Cold Steel's India made stuff has suffered these kind of issues for years. It is absolutely NOT a new occurrence. If it hasn't bothered you the past decade, it shouldn't bother you now, just don't buy any of the stuff made in India. Also, if lack of sharpness is an issue for you, you should also avoid their machetes and tomahawks cause they have also come pretty dull for...well as long as they've been being made...

Perhaps I haven't purchased any of those other products made in India.

Well, maybe not, but that's the way it is. It's not a new or unknown issue, and if you've been buying Cold Steel with confidence in the past, there shouldn't be any reason to stop now. Just don't buy any of the made in India stuff(or the tomahawks and older model machetes if lack of sharpness bothers you)

Cold steel should make this bowie in taiwan ,and with 52100 steel,im sure this version from India is pretty good,but taiwaneese would be better..I was never dissapointed with any CS product,and used them hard,they are indeed better than most competitors,especially for price.Thumbs up for heat treat,even on theit lower end steels like krupp its pretty good.btw,Ontario fixed blades are pretty good for price,just i dont like plastic handles.

I ordered one from local dealer for about 700 RMB(Chinese Yuan), few days ago.

I ordered one from local dealer for about 700 RMB(Chinese Yuan), few days ago.

Kind of expensive but how is your Cold Steel - Wild West Bowie.Is the blade properly sharpened.Mine arrived dull with a burr running on one side and only half the blade length.

Been think of sharpening it up.May just do it tonight since it's a long weekend up here north of the 49

That Wild West bowie looks to be a good candidate for a full convex zero edge regrind.
This will most likely transform it from a boat anchor into a nice chopper.

Kinda thought the the tang would be solid, the steel is pretty cheap can't save that much I wouldn't think, but.... Lighter weight, why? Or India/Pakistan build quality? Or do I expect too much?(I noticed and shook my head at the brazing job but the CS Video showing its Guard strength........).

I didn’t even pay attention to where the Wild West Bowie was made until you guys mentioned here. And I’m guessing you guys are saying their India product are akin to their South African machetes. Actually though, I don't really have anything bad to say about my Thai Machete for the price other than, like you guys said, it comes dull as hell and I personally don't have the means to sharpen such a massive blade.

Kinda thought the the tang would be solid, the steel is pretty cheap can't save that much I wouldn't think, but.... Lighter weight, why?

Skeletonizing adds cost, so the only real purpose would have to be balance and weight reduction. I can't think of any other Western style bowies that were skeletonized, it is pretty odd that this one has it.

I didn’t even pay attention to where the Wild West Bowie was made until you guys mentioned here. And I’m guessing you guys are saying their India product are akin to their South African machetes.

No, the India products are worse than the South African machetes. The machetes are perfectly fine quality wise-they just come dull and need sharpening(some of the newer designs come sharp but the earlier stuff like the panga, bolo, kukri, etc do not). And in their defense, the machetes are cheap, and MANY cheap but respected machetes come dull-Tramontina, Imacasa, Okapi, Hansa, etc. The Indian stuff comes dull as well, but it is made more poorly. Low quality fit and finish is pretty common, many of the "historical" swords are poorly balanced and not at all historically accurate, brass that arrives highly tarnished...just in general not the quality level you get from other CS products.

Back