wildcat driller whittler pictures

I'm not sure how traditional it is since it combines the two patterns but I picked up a Schatt and Morgan file and wire tested wdw (I had to abbreviate it!) the other day.

My whole life, my exposure to slipjoints came in the forms of my uncles stockman and whittler knives, small sleeveboard style and I have NEVER seen a quality slipjoint as large as this one. Its friggen huge!

P1000909.jpg

P1000886.jpg

with a Blackjack a-2 trailguide in sanbar stag:
P1000921.jpg

I really need to clean that stag, don't I? Is mineral oil best for that? I've read that that and tung oil both work for stag...

P1000929.jpg

I really can't say enough good things about this knife. Its obviously meant to be used and I just know its gonna have a home in my pocket for a long time. But one small thing thats bothering me a little is that one of the slabs seems a little loose, maybe 1/32" movement and one of the pins on the same side seems like it could be pressed in a little further. In the second photo, if you look closely you can see which pin I am talking about.

now, if I was intending to collect for value I think I'd send it in to get it fixed but as I'm gonna use it I was hoping to get you all's opinions. It has very minor play and not what I would term "loose". Do you think I'd have any luck with a needle nose applicator, a few drops of epoxy and an arbor press? Or should I not even worry about it?

I hope you all enjoy the pictures and thanks in advance for answering my questions. I foresee many more slipjoints in my future!

Went picture happy today. Here is one more:
P1000936.jpg

edit: and thats my 1000th post!

That File & Wire Wildcat Driller sure is a big `ol handful. And with ATS-34 blades I'm thinkin it'll be a good user. It's a little big for my pockets but to each his own. As far as the "wobble" goes if you're going to use the knife & it bothers you.. then try the glue. Maybe super glue? I'm not sure what would be best.
Good Luck,
Dave

yeah, its really not a big deal at all. I think I'll just keep an eye on it and if it gets any looser, do something about it then. Honestly, I probably never would have noticed it if my girlfriend didn't start tapping on the scales while trying to determine what they are made of.

This is the largest pocket knife I've ever owned. Even though I saw the dimensions when purchasing it I was still surprised by its size. It is a little large for my pocket also. I'm thinking I'll make a little belt sheath for it which also leaves me with a good excuse to get a smaller design to compliment it!

Thank you for the reply, knowtracks.

My interest in traditional slipjoints is pretty recent and my knowledge very little. After you mentioned sunfish I went looking as I had never seen one before that I knew of. I agree with you, it would have looked much nicer as a sunfish.

After reading up a bit on the history of Queen, Schatt & Morgan and New York Cutlery as well as handling this knife I am really loving the slip joints and know I will get more. At least one soon.

Knowing they are made in the USA and some in a factory thats been in use for over 100 years doesn't hurt at all either. I like knowing that there is a deep history there. Its almost like each knife is a part of something much larger than itself.

So, I'm very curious. Do most collectors have a favorite pattern? Are one or another of the companies known to have especially good fit and finish?

Sorry for all the questions guys. This is almost like a whole new world to me!

I collect Schatts and Robesons, both by Queen. IMHO they are the best made knives in the US, giving material, patterns, craftsmanship, price etc...
Canal Street also produces a high quality knife.
I collect "mainly" Mountain Men, Jacks, Whittlers and Canoes, but I also will snag anything unique that catches my eye. That keeps it fun.

Like someone over in the "Custom Knife Forum" section recently noted:

"I buy what I like."

I bought this. 'Nuff said.

Originally posted by Roughedges,

"So, I'm very curious. Do most collectors have a favorite pattern? Are one or another of the companies known to have especially good fit and finish?"

I think most collectors do have a favorite pattern & they collect from there. Everyone has a place to start, a pattern or look that turns them on. No matter what you like that's what you should collect. There's no "right" or "wrong" way, It's all for you, so do what you like.
Personally my tastes have change over time from one pattern through several others. Right now I'm very interested in the 3 blade Reverse Gunstock Stockman, but that dosen't mean that I won't buy a nice Canoe if a good buy crosses my path.
As far as manufacturers goes, right now in the U.S. Queen is & has been setting the mark. With their use of different steel, patterns, fit & finish, they have IMO the best tradional production slipjoint going. But there are a TON of knife makers out there, the fun part is checking out different makers from different countries to see what you like. There are makers like Eye Brand who stand behind there hammer forged steel that sell to mostly users. And there are makers like Case who gear mostly to collectors. (not all their knives but most) And of course there's custom makers, the list goes on...
But if you like knives like I do then the good news is, is there's lots to see & learn and it's FUN!!

Dave

Back