Wilderness trip

rodriguez7

Gila wilderness knife works
Well I'll be leaving tomorrow morning for my elk hunt! I'll be in the wilderness for 10 days. I'm taking my field knife, and my rmj Jenny wren. Also a back up skinner just in case. Hopefully I'll get some good use out of this field knife. Not sure if I'll be able to get pics, but I can give an overall impression on how it holds up in decently hard wilderness use. Hopefully it will be used skinning 2 bull elk.

Posted this elsewhere too, but good luck and stay safe. I know how difficult it can be to get pictures on a hard trip, but I hope you are able to take a few and am looking forward to your thoughts when you get back.

Thanks guys, I'll be out on horse back. I'll try to get some pics

Awesome stuff.
Can't wait to do some hunting myself with some CPK products as primary ( and secondary) carry. Enjoy the woods!

well, looks like another year with no elk. I shot and missed and so did my buddy, he cheats though and uses a compound bow, I'm using a black widow recurve, running about 55 pound draw weight. We had a really good hunt, we were into elk every day but one. They were bugling good, just refused to come in, so everything turned into a silent stalk, trying to stay in front of them early morning when they were going up the mountain into their beds,on the second to the last day, I got a good shot at around 15 yards. Grazed a nice 6x6 bull, just under the kill zone, caught his brisket area on his lower chest, arrow had blood, but not one drop on the ground. Still trying to figure out how I missed, guess a combination of adrenaline, and maybe some fatigue. We hunted hard morning and evening for 10 days straight. I had clocked over a hundred miles on horse and foot for the entire hunt, on my gps. So I did not get any pics, I didn't even really use my knife. But I have a deer hunt coming up in November, and another elk hunt in December.

Sounds like a great time regardless. I guess that 15 yard miss hurt though. I've never been that close to an Elk.

Maybe deer will be more fruitful!

It was a fun trip, just disappointed I came home empty handed. It is what it is. Deer will be rifle, and my cousins cow elk hunt will be rifle. I also have 2 pigs I should have ready to butcher by December hopefully.

If you are good enough to be in Elk every day and within 15 yards I am confident you can have a better outcome with a rifle!

Back