1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

will a gso throw sparks without a ferro rod notch?

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by wolverine_173, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolverine_173

wolverine_173 Banned BANNED

Oct 21, 2013
    Do you have to have a notch to throw Sparks?

2. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    The GSO-blades are tumbled, so the spines are not sharp enough to scrape a ferro-rod, unlike the SK-models. You could use the edge of the knife, but you'd be better off just filing an edge into the spine yourself or using a dedicated scraper. Or you could have Guy file the notch for you by putting it in your order *shrug*

3. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Use a piece of a hacksaw blade, nothing I have found works better.

4. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    You might be able to get by without one, but the notch makes it pretty foolproof. I didn't like the way it looked for a while but once I used it I grew to really like it.

I'll second this suggestion if you don't like the notch.

5. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    Yes, plenty of other spots on the blade that don't have the tumble finish that won't damage the edge, but you could use that too. Even the necker works.

6. Methuselah

Methuselah Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2015
    A GSO can do anything!

Attached Files:

7. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    Bumping a 3+ year old thread for cheer leading?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.