will cold steel ever re-release x2 voyagers?

I agree. I much more prefer the sweeping styled handle than that horseshoe looking thing on them now. If they simply added a finger groove to the front of the handle, it would be awesome. Perhaps some sharp jimping at the back of the blade also...

I carry mine every day and a 2nd one be welcome I have a new XL voyager in drawer It doesn't work for me. I want another X2 VG-1 Japan

When I first started collecting Cold Steel knives, the shop I was buying my G10 Espada XL from had a VG-1 X2 for sale (half the price of the Espada). If I'd known then what I know now I'd have snapped it up, but I didn't and that is one of my few regrets.

I have a Vaquero Grande in VG1 that I found on Craigslist for $50 delivered and is in NM condition.
Like most metal clips, the black paint was a bit chipped and CS still had a few left & sent me one at no charge.
Love it as an SD, but would use it to slash and avoid stabbing due to lack of a forefinger groove.

I have a Vaquero Grande in VG1 that I found on Craigslist for $50 delivered and is in NM condition.
Like most metal clips, the black paint was a bit chipped and CS still had a few left & sent me one at no charge.
Love it as an SD, but would use it to slash and avoid stabbing due to lack of a forefinger groove.

People been stabbing people for years with out the forefinger groove. I have 3 Spanish Navaja fighting knives. One looks very much like the voyager . except 16" long open These all have the Kudu locking ratchet system . Point is these type folders go back into 1700's and were primary self defense weapon of the poor people . Even had their own manual on how to use. That included slashing and stabbing . You think the Espada is large. I have look at old ones that are 39" open on auction sites. People didn't have pockets They wore sash with the valuables in it and the Navaja tucked in it.

Several cold steel knives don't have a forefinger groove Yet their made for stabbing . I think the Voyager grip would offer enough traction . Of course after you take out 1st 1/2 dozen bad guys might get a little slick:D

I was thinking CS could make a Classic Navaja, made to be carried in a sheath or sash with a 10 inch blade and ratchet lock. 4mm BD1 steel in a molded Zytel handle that matches the old Spanish "Arab" knives.

I am new to cold steel knives but the three of them I own are all wonderful knives. The 4" voyager I bought a few months ago feels the most secure in my hand and fits it perfectly, I appreciate the little groove for my forefinger and little finger for when I sometimes need to saw a bit on a material instead of just push straight down on it. Those grooves keep my hand from slipping around on the knife but I sure wish the jimping was a little more aggressive to go with the very agressive texturing on the handle. I will say that my hand never slipped from any knife I own including some old folders that are perfectly smooth all the way around so YMMV. RIght now with my Voyager my lousy thumb sometimes slides off the spine to the left when I'm pushing down hard but trying to maintain control. This does not result in the knife falling out of my hand or anything other than spooking me for a brief moment as I feel the knife jerk in my hand when that happens. I do not use my knives for self defence so I cannot speak intelligently about that like other people who like to stab things with their knives (or like to imagine themselves as doing so). As far as my purposes go my 4" voyager gets the job done no matter what I've thrown at it. So from my perspective as someone new to cold steel knives, not a person looking for a weapon, and someone who's work generally fall into cutting plastic wraps, thick cardboard, ropes, zip ties, and large fibrous plastic bands I have not found my Voyager to be lacking in any sort of way other than the lack of better jimping. The very large knives you guys are talking about seem impractical for me and while the aesthetic of the older version is nice I am not upset with the handle my knife comes with now. I bought my voyager for the function it provides me and while I understand a knife collecter's view of these aesthetics I still will go after knives I see with good practical purposes behind them. The 4" Voyager I grabbed because I knew it would fit my hand well as I had already had a smaller 3" version of the same knife and was looking for something more comfortable for my largish hand.

I'm glad I bought a few before the changeover. They're great knives, but I think you can forget ever seeing them in VG1 again. They released them in several knife blades a few years ago, but then stopped, shifted gears and are now trying to convince people that it's a supersteel that needs to be protected by two sandwich panels of 420 steel (enter San Mai III), which naturally costs a lot more. Cold Steel claims it tested VG1 extensively and that it exceeded all the others, including VG10, so I doubt they ran into problems with the steel being too brittle. It may be because VG1 went up too much in price, but I don't see it widely used as other blade steels.

San Mai has been around for a lot longer than a few years fella. It preceded the all VG1 knives by what...a decade?

I'm glad I bought a few before the changeover. They're great knives, but I think you can forget ever seeing them in VG1 again. They released them in several knife blades a few years ago, but then stopped, shifted gears and are now trying to convince people that it's a supersteel that needs to be protected by two sandwich panels of 420 steel (enter San Mai III), which naturally costs a lot more. Cold Steel claims it tested VG1 extensively and that it exceeded all the others, including VG10, so I doubt they ran into problems with the steel being too brittle. It may be because VG1 went up too much in price, but I don't see it widely used as other blade steels.

Vg 1 and vg 10 are more brittle then your average stainless, I think vg 1 is a lot harder on the HRC scale too, I don't remember the figures.

I am new to cold steel knives but the three of them I own are all wonderful knives. The 4" voyager I bought a few months ago feels the most secure in my hand and fits it perfectly, I appreciate the little groove for my forefinger and little finger for when I sometimes need to saw a bit on a material instead of just push straight down on it. Those grooves keep my hand from slipping around on the knife but I sure wish the jimping was a little more aggressive to go with the very agressive texturing on the handle. I will say that my hand never slipped from any knife I own including some old folders that are perfectly smooth all the way around so YMMV. RIght now with my Voyager my lousy thumb sometimes slides off the spine to the left when I'm pushing down hard but trying to maintain control. This does not result in the knife falling out of my hand or anything other than spooking me for a brief moment as I feel the knife jerk in my hand when that happens. I do not use my knives for self defence so I cannot speak intelligently about that like other people who like to stab things with their knives (or like to imagine themselves as doing so). As far as my purposes go my 4" voyager gets the job done no matter what I've thrown at it. So from my perspective as someone new to cold steel knives, not a person looking for a weapon, and someone who's work generally fall into cutting plastic wraps, thick cardboard, ropes, zip ties, and large fibrous plastic bands I have not found my Voyager to be lacking in any sort of way other than the lack of better jimping. The very large knives you guys are talking about seem impractical for me and while the aesthetic of the older version is nice I am not upset with the handle my knife comes with now. I bought my voyager for the function it provides me and while I understand a knife collecter's view of these aesthetics I still will go after knives I see with good practical purposes behind them. The 4" Voyager I grabbed because I knew it would fit my hand well as I had already had a smaller 3" version of the same knife and was looking for something more comfortable for my largish hand.

The 4" voyager fits the hand like a glove!

voyagers in vg1 are of excellent quality.I own xl and l voyager in vg1, and like it better than new ones!

People been stabbing people for years with out the forefinger groove. I have 3 Spanish Navaja fighting knives. One looks very much like the voyager . except 16" long open These all have the Kudu locking ratchet system . Point is these type folders go back into 1700's and were primary self defense weapon of the poor people . Even had their own manual on how to use. That included slashing and stabbing . You think the Espada is large. I have look at old ones that are 39" open on auction sites. People didn't have pockets They wore sash with the valuables in it and the Navaja tucked in it.

Several cold steel knives don't have a forefinger groove Yet their made for stabbing . I think the Voyager grip would offer enough traction . Of course after you take out 1st 1/2 dozen bad guys might get a little slick:D

The problem is if you hit bone or anything else that doesn't give, your hand is going to slide up the handle and on to that serrated or plain metal edge, taking a finger with it or at least causing a LOT of nerve damage and bleeding like a bitch. (No pun intended.) leaving you defenseless unless you are ambidextrous and you would still be in a world of hurt with your finger dangling by a thread.

That being said, I too would buy the X2 if it were reissued, especially in Carpenter steel.

The problem is if you hit bone or anything else that doesn't give, your hand is going to slide up the handle and on to that serrated or plain metal edge, taking a finger with it or at least causing a LOT of nerve damage and bleeding like a bitch.

They didn't seem to have that problem with the old navaja's...

Just something to be aware of with the shallow finger grooves.

Personally, I like to slash the attacker's dominant arm and try to disable a bicep or forearm muscle, not that I've ever been in a knife fight nor would I want to be.

But my main objective is to slash at whatever I can and then get the hell out of there.

Stabbing requires being up close and personal and increases the chances of you getting done.

No one wins a knife fight. They only survive it. Sometimes.

Slash at a vital body part and then GTFO. Serrations are also my preference for such defensive tactics as they are freakin' nasty.

Hope I never have to find out, but if I do, the Black Talon II is my SD edged weapon of choice.

Back