How To Will engraving loosen stiff slipjoint?

I just recently made a slipjoint for my 12 year old son. It is so stiff he can hardly open it. It seems like I've heard somewhere that engraving the back spring can take some tension from the spring and make it easier to open. Has anyone had experience with this? What is the best method or design to relieve spring tension.

Well, engraving might be a little expensive?....
by the way, engravers like to engrave not hardened steel....
Just grind over the backspring a few passes with grit 150 and You will see if it works.If not
grind more....You made that knife, You should know this.;)
.....or keep it for yourself and make the kid a new one.
good luck

Last edited:
Sure, I'm aware that I could grind down the back spring to release some stiffness, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with engraving a slipjoint and if it relieved spring tension at all. I would be doing the engraving myself, so cost is not an issue.
Thanks

Is it stiff due to spring tension or is it binding with the liners. Can’t see how engraving would remove enough material to reduce tension. You might want to consider grinding a shallow groove similar to a fuller to remove enough material. Agree with the other comments, much easier to grind the blade and spring down.

remove the spring and grind down the inside.

I have done a AVigil suggests to reduce spring tension but it it's binding on the liners you could polish those while you're at it

Back