Will the real Harpoon F please stand up?

I'm close to buying one of these,but am a little perplexed at a discovery i made this morning: every picture i've seen the blade is black with some white/grey stripes.

But then i saw this version;

http://store3.yimg.com/I/willowslover_1733_18120696

which is the actual production version? - The one shown in the picture bugs me a little because of the giant logo on the blade.

TIA
Ian

Hi Swingshot. Glad you could join us here at BF and I hope you will enjoy this place at least as much as I do. I am going to move this to the general knife discussion forum where there will be more responses.

Hey Swingshot!
The picture you posted is accurate. I would be glad to send you more pics if you email me direct.

Thanks

Ive never seen one in real life but all of the extreme ratio knife photos ive seen have this large logo on the side

Hi Hey Swingshot! Welcome to Blade forums, get my email ok! Paul

Im a bit of a 'Knife Newbie' here so please pardon my ignorance over Extrema Ratio products...

I love the tigertech finish, but the big logo on the side puts me off somewhat, seems just a few steps away from slapping a bumper sticker or two on the thing.

Well I'll probably buy it anyway....

I recently purchased an Extrema Ratio. It is a subdued (I believe the manufacturer calls it "Tenebra") T2000. I have been using blades for 15+ years in some truly extreme/harsh conditions. Knives that are not well made, or made out of inferior materials will not hold up under these conditions for very long. I will not own one. Very rarely does a new knife manufacturer come along that impresses me. Extrema Ratio has done just that. I originally purchased the T2000 because of the blade design. It is a modified tanto design with a tang-through construction. Anyone who has had a blade part company with the handle during use will attest to the importance of the tang-through feature. Additionally, the blade steel is 1/4 inch thick. While we're on the subject of the steel, has anybody caught the fact that they advertise the blade steel used in these knives as COBALT stainless steel? I did. Had no earthly clue what the significance of the cobalt was. I knew it was a metal. I also new it was a right pretty shade of blue. So I think to myself, Is the blade bright blue, or something? I had never heard of anyone adding cobalt to stainless steel. I decided to research. I went to the "Jefferson Lab Science Education" website (http://education.jlab.org/itselemental.html) which has an interactive Periodic Table. Looked up "Cobalt" (it's number 27 on the Periodic Table. Figured I'd tell you, I had to look for it...). I found out in the description some intersting things about cobalt when added to steel. It is resistant to corrosion. It causes the steel to have high resistance to impact, temperature, and wear. It is one of the elements used in the steel alloy "Stellite", an extremely wear,temperature,abuse resistant metal used in industrial Drills and cutting tools in fabrication. Apparently, these two gentlemen who founded this company were aware of something that everyone else missed--
The blade comes from the manufacturer sharp enough to shave with. Out of the box. The handle is comfortable enough, and, as the manufacturer states, allows one to quickly switch from reverse to sabre grip. The rubber (?) material of which they are constructed is hydrophilic, that is, does not become impossibly slippery when it becomes wet. Additionally, they have this odd insert in each side that is reminiscent of the "hook" side of Velcro. Aids in keeping one's grip. The tenifer (tenebra) finish on the blade WILL NOT SCRATCH/WEAR OFF. I've tried. The tenebra will not cooperate. It stubbornly remains where placed.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Should the blade ever break/develop a flaw, contact the one distributor in the United States. Mr. Miller (frank@extremaratiousa.com) has assured me that should the above ever occur, he will replace the blade. He is also the one to contact, should you have any questions about the blades in general. Extrema Ratio USA has a website as well, where all available models (Including some new folders)can be seen. Their website is (www.extremaratiousa.com).
I believe these may be the best-kept secret in the tactical knives realm. Definitely worth having one, especially if your idea of "tools of the trade" involve a badge, and that which one inserts a magazine into...

every picture i've seen the blade is black with some white/grey stripes.
From the Extrema Ratio website it looks like the Harpoon F is available in three different finishes:

• Miles: Sand-blasted blade with anti-reflection.
  • Tenebra: Black cataforized mat blade (a polymerical coating with a high level of resistance towards corrosion).
  • Tiger Tech Camo: Black cataforized mat blade, with sand-blasted stripes which cuts the lines from the blade making it less visible.

So my question is... is Extrema Ratio going to be offering Harpoon series knives for sale at the Blade show :D?

I can say with a great amount of confidence that they will be available for sale at the Blade Show. I can say that since I will be bringing them!
See you there!

Rev. Pete;
Hey, brother, you can always e-mail Mr. Miller and ask. I know that Extrema Ratio USA is one of the show sponsors- It would not surprise me. You should check out their "Col Moschin" knife, too. Is quite impressive.

Hello and welcome to the forums, Swing.

Yep, the blade you posted a pic of is EXACTLY how mine looks.

Trust me, it is SUPER-cool! Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but those who have have posted only positive remarks from what I've seen.

Frank is a total gentleman to deal with; a hell of a guy.

The ER Harpoon F with stripes is an awesome blade that you will not regret buying. The quality and craftsmanship are utterly top-notch.

I love mine!!!

Drjones

Dr. Jones, et al.
This is rapidly becoming my standard question re: sawback style tacticals but are the serrations on the spine any good, or are they just for show. With all the good things I've heard about E.R. it would seem they should be functional, but you never. Swingshot, thanks for the thread, P - 90, thanks for the website link, I remember reading the article about E.R. in Tactical Knives a year or so ago and wanting to know more. It's great that they finally have a U.S. distributor.
Lagarto

Lagarto,

The saw back that is found on the Harpoon F and the Golem F is functional and is not just for looks. It is NOT for wood...it is designed specifically for aircraft skin type metal. And for that duty it is very effective. I personally have tested this feature, as have others, and it does fulfill its mission. If cutting your way into, or out of, an aircraft is not in your future the "F" model may not be the knife you need. In that case the standard model will suffice. But it DOES look good!

Back