Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we can wish all day for patterns or steels to no avail, how about we focus on handle material? I'd like to see something in Yellow Heart or another light colored wood.

142116-Smooth-Yellow-Heart-Wood.jpg

No disrespect to your opinion, but I find this to be about the least appealing wood I've seen. It reminds me of scaffolding wood that they used because it was left over or something.

^^^ +1^^^^

Would love another shot at a Pemberton (2 blade)

Peter
Agreed. I would probably break my resolve to never buy another pocket knife for that opportunity. I am limited to carrying very small pocket knives these days and sometimes I'd like a break from my trusty Case Peanut.

What about Buck and Case?

If Buck would be willing I think that they would be a great choice. It would be nice to have a forum knife made by a company that actually has a presence on this forum.

As for the European knife idea, I think that Jack has already started laying the foundation for that.

Wright's have a great old etching machine, and I wish they'd use it more. I don't understand why they're not putting the Blade Forums etch on the Lambsfoot knives :confused: Maybe I should get them to do a proper batch for us?

:eek: :D :p

You guys with all these great knife ideas need to check on the details of production and distribution before getting too far along. :eek::eek::eek:

First and foremost; any BladeForums branded knife (especially with the annual BF stamp) must me approved by the official powers here.

As to distribution, I will only deal with one brand, any other brand will need another outlet other than myself. Sorry, this is due to past experience in this regard.

Buck is not going to run a frame/blade combo that isn't in general production, though they might give us a special cover material. No BF blade stamp though, I bet. I don't think Buck will use the BF stamp anyway. Plus we someone to distribute the knife to members.

European manufacturers are also problematic here in the US, but if Jack or someone else wants to get a project going that is their prerogative. I don't have any say in the manufacturing, as all that input comes from the forum.

There is really a lot to the process other than dreaming up patterns. It is unreasonable to think a manufacturer would run a special frame and blade configuration for 350 knives unless they could retail for a very high dollar figure, and if too expensive, someone is left with a large number of expensive knives that they had to pay for but can't sell.

You guys are talking me out of getting involved again.

By "Powers" is meant Spark, the site owner. He has to approve any forum knife project, because the site name is involved. And he has to be certain that whoever is running the project is able to be financially responsible if the project goes South for some reason. 350 knives at $100 a pop is $35K. That is outside the financial limits of most folks. It's outside my limits, for sure.

Coming up with a pattern voted on by the membership was a lot easier when there were not so many voices to be heard. The last couple done that way got a bit rancorous.

But it is a huge project requiring a huge amount of work. So whether it gets off the ground this year is not currently known by me.

Good points by all. Who starts the ball rolling with GEC? Who's been the pointman in the past?

It's understandable, with GEC's 2017 projected production schedules, they would be limited in what pattern they could produce for us, but I would think that a conversation needs to begin with GEC as soon as possible if we have a shot at getting an order in this year.

No disrespect to your opinion, but I find this to be about the least appealing wood I've seen. It reminds me of scaffolding wood that they used because it was left over or something.
"Reclaimed Broom Handle" :D

Good points by all. Who starts the ball rolling with GEC? Who's been the pointman in the past?

To answer that question, and a followup to Frank's comment about how rowdy it got - Charlie Campagna (Waynorth) and Barry Johnson (Gunstock Jack) rather heroically stepped up and made the last couple of runs a reality (with extreme thanks to Eric from Canal Street Cutlery for both his designs and actual hands-on making of the knives). Without their involvement, I think the forum knife would have died as a concept two years ago.

Essentially, we got too big and too diverse for design-by-committee and needed a design czar (Charlie) and a logistics man (Barry) to take care of everything.

IF we have one this year, it will take similar persons of worth and valor to step forward.

I hereby nominate Jack Black to shoulder the entire burden!! :D [Just kidding, Jack].

If there is going to be anything at all, I think we need to accept that, in the current marketplace, GEC is our only bet, unless Jack comes up with a fine Old World design that we can all participate in.

Thanks for the info and history, John. Well, I would think the ball has got get rolling if any 2017 forum knife will happen at all. Wonder if Charlie will chime in???

We've all seen caplifters; isn't it time we had a GEC with a corkscrew?

(Really just wanted to say it was fascinating to watch last year's process play out, I saw the effort involved, and although I don't have the background or strong enough opinions on traditional knives to steer this other than the occasional smartass comment, I hope we find a way to make this happen sanely.)

I agree actually, but that's why I like it. It's odd. There's plenty of delrin, jigged bone, micarta and stag to be had. Not often you see a knife handled in scaffolding wood.

I suppose, if the yellow heart is too ugly, I could "settle" for a nice box elder burl or tiger stripe maple...

You guys with all these great knife ideas need to check on the details of production and distribution before getting too far along. :eek::eek::eek:

First and foremost; any BladeForums branded knife (especially with the annual BF stamp) must me approved by the official powers here.

As to distribution, I will only deal with one brand, any other brand will need another outlet other than myself. Sorry, this is due to past experience in this regard.

Buck is not going to run a frame/blade combo that isn't in general production, though they might give us a special cover material. No BF blade stamp though, I bet. I don't think Buck will use the BF stamp anyway. Plus we someone to distribute the knife to members.

European manufacturers are also problematic here in the US, but if Jack or someone else wants to get a project going that is their prerogative. I don't have any say in the manufacturing, as all that input comes from the forum.

There is really a lot to the process other than dreaming up patterns. It is unreasonable to think a manufacturer would run a special frame and blade configuration for 350 knives unless they could retail for a very high dollar figure, and if too expensive, someone is left with a large number of expensive knives that they had to pay for but can't sell.

You guys are talking me out of getting involved again.

Thank you for all your efforts in the past and for the concise, clear explanation. It would be a great shame if a few difficult customers ruined it for the many who would like a forum knife. I have purchased every one for the past 9 years. And thanks to the efforts of a few dedicated individuals like you these past years, the forum knife has been a reality.

Looking back at the past GEC production patterns would it not be possible to choose an already existing pattern and brand that for our BF knife? GEC have made some great patterns now no longer available and many would suit our needs.
As the tooling and pattern already exists it would be a far easier production cycle........or do I have that completely wrong?

The GEC BF knife last year was simply outstanding, and it appears the GEC BF knives prior to that were equally so. I'd bet the entire order of 2017 BF knives, if they are to be, will sell regardless of GEC's reasonable limitation of using a pattern/frame then in production.

I think Jack was volunteering to fill Charlie and Barry's roles with the European manufacturer (design, procurement, distribution and returns).

Those shoes are far too big for me to fill! :eek: :D :thumbup:

It's worth remembering though that up until a few years ago, the burden for sorting out the forum knife was shouldered by a committee.

My suggestion was made to draw attention to the fact that while the forum knife seems to be increasingly inconvenient for GEC, there are other knife manufacturers, and ones for whom this sort of business (and arguably prestige) would be a very positive thing, rather than a negative one. Collectively, we have huge buying power, and we put the cash up front, but it seems that we don't presently get any advantage to that. The US $ is very strong in Europe at the moment, and buys a lot of knives. Other US companies seem to be able to deal with European manufacturers without having to go round and knock on the door of their factory.

If a European manufacturer is mooted, won't there be import-tax to pay on top of the knives for US customers and more again for European customers when they are shipped back to European addresses? Dealing with returns or QC problems is going to be even more fraught, would anybody like to take that on?

I'm not sure our US members get stung in quite the same way as we do here in Europe, but if we used a European manufacturer, perhaps they could be shipped to European members direct, or to a European member willing to post them out. As for QC problems, I'm not sure things could be much worse than for last years knife.

Will has some valid points but I really like the European idea that Jack suggested. If a workaround could be found for those issues I would be all for it. Opens up a whole new catalog of options. I think we might be surprised at the options we might find if pursued.

It would be great to step outside the box for a change. Great suggestion Jack!:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks, just something to consider anyway :)

A forum Laguiole or something region specific would be really interesting :D

I'd be up for a Laguiole, or a whole host of French patterns, or Spanish, German, Italian, or English ones for that matter. Heck, how about a handmade Manly folder in D2 with a 'Bladeforums' back-spring?! :eek: This one, with buffalo horn covers, sells for less than $100 - individually!

adbabe01214a9283_IMGP0992.jpg

As for the European knife idea, I think that Jack has already started laying the foundation for that.

Wright's have a great old etching machine, and I wish they'd use it more. I don't understand why they're not putting the Blade Forums etch on the Lambsfoot knives Maybe I should get them to do a proper batch for us?

:eek: :D :p

Hey! There's some serious trickery gone on with my post there!! I never said that! :grumpy: ;)

By "Powers" is meant Spark, the site owner. He has to approve any forum knife project, because the site name is involved. And he has to be certain that whoever is running the project is able to be financially responsible if the project goes South for some reason. 350 knives at $100 a pop is $35K. That is outside the financial limits of most folks. It's outside my limits, for sure.

Too much for me too Frank, but nowhere near as much would be involved if the knives didn't run to $100 and more apiece. With an order of that size, you could be talking about a fraction of that from some European manufacturers :thumbup:

Coming up with a pattern voted on by the membership was a lot easier when there were not so many voices to be heard. The last couple done that way got a bit rancorous.

But it is a huge project requiring a huge amount of work. So whether it gets off the ground this year is not currently known by me.

$35k is a lotttt of loot to a lot of people. we should always be grateful for those who put forth the effort in making this happen. I know I am. Thanks a lot fellas for doing your best all these years, Charlie, Barry, and everyone else.

Those shoes are far too big for me to fill! :eek: :D [emoji106]

It's worth remembering though that up until a few years ago, the burden for sorting out the forum knife was shouldered by a committee.

My suggestion was made to draw attention to the fact that while the forum knife seems to be increasingly inconvenient for GEC, there are other knife manufacturers, and ones for whom this sort of business (and arguably prestige) would be a very positive thing, rather than a negative one. Collectively, we have huge buying power, and we put the cash up front, but it seems that we don't presently get any advantage to that. The US $ is very strong in Europe at the moment, and buys a lot of knives. Other US companies seem to be able to deal with European manufacturers without having to go round and knock on the door of their factory.

I'm not sure our US members get stung in quite the same way as we do here in Europe, but if we used a European manufacturer, perhaps they could be shipped to European members direct, or to a European member willing to post them out. As for QC problems, I'm not sure things could be much worse than for last years knife.

Thanks, just something to consider anyway :)

I'd be up for a Laguiole, or a whole host of French patterns, or Spanish, German, Italian, or English ones for that matter. Heck, how about a handmade Manly folder in D2 with a 'Bladeforums' back-spring?! :eek: This one, with buffalo horn covers, sells for less than $100 - individually!

adbabe01214a9283_IMGP0992.jpg

Hey! There's some serious trickery gone on with my post there!! I never said that! :grumpy: ;)

Too much for me too Frank, but nowhere near as much would be involved if the knives didn't run to $100 and more apiece. With an order of that size, you could be talking about a fraction of that from some European manufacturers [emoji106]
What was wrong with the 2016 forum knife? I wasn't following the forum much in 2016 and didn't get one.

Posted using TapaTalk

What was wrong with the 2016 forum knife? I wasn't following the forum much in 2016 and didn't get one.

Posted using TapaTalk

A small percentage of the first batch that shipped had a punch that wouldn't open or close unless the spear blade was open. Some folks who didn't have that problem thought it was just common blade rub but it was more serious than that.

Some were fixed by the owners using a method suggested by Bill Howard from GEC and Charlie (Waynorth) and some were sent back to GEC for repair.

GEC corrected the problem on the second batch before sending those out.

Thanks for the very helpful answer railsplitter. I think the 2016 knives look great, wish I'd gotten in on one sometimes.

EDIT: I didn't see the link to the thread, maybe my browser didn't refresh correctly. Touchy subject I guess.

Last edited:
Thanks for the very helpful answer railsplitter. I think the 2016 knives look great, wish I'd gotten in on one sometimes.

No need in getting that conversation started again, use the search option;)

The search function is barely useable, and even if you find applicable threads (considering the length of many threads in the traditional forum) it can take an unreasonable amount of time to find the answers you're looking for. There was nothing wrong with the answer railsplitter gave; it was concise, clear, and unbiased. I'm not new here, I was just away from forums for most of 2016, and I still dislike the tendency to dodge this kind of question with "use the search function".

Posted using TapaTalk

I am sorry. I certainly didn't mean to come off as being spiteful or sarcastic and I apologize if my post sounded otherwise. I thought the ";)" would have indicated that. I didn't see railsplitter's response since we were obviously typing at the same time. I also immediately edited my response with a link to the original thread for your convenience. There was once a time in the traditional subforum when people were not so easily riled up and things were taken in the sense that we are all friends here. I feel like that is changing and that is quite unfortunate. Kindest regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back