Will you spoon with me?

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I don't know if you've ever tried eating cereal with a knife, but if you're thinking about trying that please take my advice and use a spoon instead.

Knives are my favourite utensil, but I have a soft spot in my heart for spoons too. Especially this one. It's my favourite spoon of all time.

PYIDQUK.jpg

vlalJWE.jpg

If you have a favourite spoon, let's see it

Saw your post this morning before i left for a hike...

The world's best spoon: The swiss army spoon

Screenshot_20220924-155303_Gallery.jpg

Had this one for +20 years now and it's been on every hike,climb,biketour and backcountry skitour. Used it to chip away ice from my ski bindings... I'm an ultralight guy and i could probably save some grams, but this spoon is just perfect. The handle is short and the bowl is longer and deeper than most modern spoons.

Cutlery and bikes share one thing: steel is real.

I also use it at home all the time,except when we have guests and i have to pretend that i'm civilized.

edit: manufactured by Sola

Last edited:
^that's a good looking spoon! Background ain't too shabby neither

I've got a Snow Peak spoon (and fork) in my lunch "bag"...but I have a fondness for this full sized, slightly asymmetric utensil. Pictures at this hour just aren't working - I'll try during the day tomorrow. (search: Valtcan spoon, if you can't wait)

I wish you luck. This thread is meaningless without pics!

Ughhhh. Dude, I f@ckin’ hate spoons. I eat everything possible with a fork. Only things I eat with spoons are liquid based like soup or cereal.

That said, I do actually have a favorite spoon that I use when I have to use one. It’s pretty awesome for a spoon. I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

My most portable spoon is part of a Knives of Alaska Titanium Hobo set. The blade and can opener are steel. The rest is Ti. The spoon is quite small and is best used if you are on a diet or not in a hurry.73CD936C-43F7-46C9-AFAF-601F7E7D1804.jpeg8E41FA4E-CF52-4918-9E2B-B44CBE1DE713.jpeg

My most portable spoon is part of a Knives of Alaska Titanium Hobo set. The blade and can opener are steel. The rest is Ti. The spoon is quite small and is best used if you are on a diet or not in a hurry.View attachment 1941413View attachment 1941414
I don't know about you, but when I use a spoon I'm usually in a hurry. Especially when ice cream is involved

Something maybe a little off the wall...

I participate in a Living History group that I have helmed over the last several years. We have a specific focus on early to mid 18th century Scottish Highlands and have strived for a deeper understanding of 18th century material culture, particularly in the Highlands where there isn't a vast amount of documentation.

We know that shells were in common use and there is even some documentation to support attaching shells to sticks. I made some using scallop shells. They hold up ok but I think I'd prefer just using a large shell or something like a mussel - the sinew thread gets pretty gross after a few uses.

uQ3qctq.jpg

I like these - in the wood bowl with reindeer lichen - titanium - light and good shape with a lanyard option. What's not to like? Oh yeah - my wife doesn't like them. :rolleyes: She says that she can taste the titanium. I say she needs more red chili pepper. :) I can't taste any metal.

Titaniumm-Spoons.jpg

that's the thing about my favourite spoon- it has no flavour at all. We have some stainless steel spoons and they have a metallic taste to them, which I find personally insulting.

These are the spoons I use around the house. The soup spoons are good for shoveling it in. The teaspoons are particularly useful for eating grapefruit.354A430B-8F01-4C6F-8CEC-16F3C571486C.jpeg

I like a nice rounded handle, as opposed to the stamped kind

hella nice face shovel you got there!

Ughhhh. Dude, I f@ckin’ hate spoons. I eat everything possible with a fork. Only things I eat with spoons are liquid based like soup or cereal.

That said, I do actually have a favorite spoon that I use when I have to use one. It’s pretty awesome for a spoon. I’ll post a pic tomorrow.
you have not followed through on your promise, my friend. Does this spoon even exist?

Since I discovered pho about 6-7 years ago this has definitely become my favorite spoon.

AA37FC0D-D5FA-4CFD-91AB-9D4E583AD455.jpeg

oh yeah! Love those spoons, especially when filled with wonton soup

I used to hate these spoons when I ate soup with my right hand(I’m right handed). It wasn’t until I ate pho with chopsticks in my right hand and moved the spoon to my left hand, I experienced one of the most profound lightbulb moments.

Back