William Henry or Chris Reeves Knife ?

I could use some advice please. I am considering the purchase of a William Henry Limited Edition Pearl Damascus knife or a Chris Reeve Mnandi Damascus knife.

From what I hear they both seem to be a quality made knife. But for long term values go which knife will hold the better value ?

I am looking for more of a fancy folder to add to my collection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help me make my decision.

thanks in advance

Well...it would help if you identified specific models.

However, I have had a bunch of each of them, so here's my 2 bits.

For a true "pocket" knife, meaning one that you drop into your pocket, I would go with the WH Monarch, one of the fancier models with no clip. The button lock is not only very reliable, but is even slicker for opening and closure than the integral liner lock that CRK uses.

For a clipped knife, I would get a CRK Mnandi - they far surpass the WH clips in terms of strength and elegance, IMO. WH places their clips rather low on the frame, so the amount of knife "showing" above the clip is fairly substantial.

I always found the WH Kestral to be too hard to open for my hand size. The WH Spearpoint and WH Westcliff are both great designs, and I frequently carry a Westcliff as well, but it goes in a clip case.

I wouldn't put the Sebenza in the same category as any of the above, but if you need a stout work knife, you can't go wrong with them.

Depends On what you want? A high class Sports car or a High Class SUV? The Henry's are excellent looking knives with grade A material, but built only for really light/proper use. The Sebbenza's on the other have have Grade A materials also but are build to endur almost anything. Person I had this same problem. I first picked Henry then Now I pay the big bucks for the Reeves.

When I hear Pearl Damascus William Henry, I feel compelled to respond. My first WH was a T12 Pearl Damascus. I did not plan to carry the knife too often. Well, everyday since purchase, this has been my EDC. AND, I now have 3 Pearl T12s!!!

I knew that this style would stand the test of time and I want to make sure I have adequate stock to last me for the next ~>50 years, I am now 35.

The Pearl is simply stunning...

Both knives are great, but the WH, IMHO, is a superior Gentlemans carry.

AC

Would you mind telling us the details of the WH and the asking price? Is this a limited numbered piece?

Thank you and great luck with your decision.

AC

Even without knowing the specific WH model I say get the Mnandi. You can't beat CRK for fit/finish, materials, craftsmanship or the high level of dedication to their products and customers. Besides, the Mnandi is one classy looking knife. I should know, I carry one daily.

Don't buy either of them if you expect them "to hold their value."

They are production knives made in significant numbers. If you use them, they will depreciate. How much nobody can really tell. Buy because you like one over the other and you'll probably be happier.

brownshoe said:
Don't buy either of them if you expect them "to hold their value."

They are production knives made in significant numbers. If you use them, they will depreciate. How much nobody can really tell. Buy because you like one over the other and you'll probably be happier.

Agreed. Knives are NOT a good investment unless we are talking customs. Even limited edition production peices often don't go for real big money.

A knife is a tool, not a painting. Use it, and enjoy it.
-Kevin

I have to agree with Architect. The clipless WH's make great pocket knives, and are just beautiful to look at. The carbon fiber WH's are decent work knives but their clips are fairly week and you would do better with a Sebenza. If you can find an Umfaan, you have a really great small pocket knife and the Umfaan is a great pants or shirt pocket knife for carry. Overall, Christ Reeves are better users and WH's are more pretty but are good workers if you ever need to use them. Think about what you want to do with the knife and purchase accordingly. ;)

Back