William Henry Steel question.

So far I have a small Sebenza Classic in S30V and a BM 940CF in D2. I'm thinking hard about a William Henry gentlemen's folder in CF or Mastadon. I've heard WH is a top-end mass builder of knives, which is where I am right now.

So far all the WH knives I've seen are in 154CM. After the above-mentioned steels, will I be disappointed in the sharpness or durability of 154CM?

Also, is AGRussell the only shop that sells the mastadon-scaled knives? I've searched the web and found a couple of good knife shops with good prices on the CF models, but no other source for the mastadon. Anyone have any leads?

Many thanks.

William Henry uses a very good, high performance damascus steel (Norris) on some of their knives. If you don't want the 154CM, give the damascus a try.

They seem to have plenty of mammoth on their website:

110305.jpg

I have several William Henry knives, three Lochsas, and one Sebenza. For general lightweight cutting (paper, packaging, plastic ...) the WH blade and edge geometry is quite efficient.

Every WH I've had has been razor sharp and beautifully finished. On a gents knife like those I doubt you'd be let down by 154CM. YMMV

fuzzyedge: thanks for the reply. I don't know what steels are in the damascus, but it is drop dead gorgeous. Out of my range unfortunately.

Gabe: I registered to get to the link you suggested. Lots of good stuff in there--thanks. I guess I was hoping to see the mastadon going for below retail. AGRussell had mastadon at full list price, yet other stores that didn't have the mastadon were selling WH knives at a discount. I'm coming to realize that scales like that probably don't go on sale.

westflorida: Thanks for the links. I bookmarked them. I'm based on size I'm looking for a Kestral or Lancet. Will probably get CF because it "looks good enough", and is less expensive than the more exotic scales. Glad to hear you like the Kestral shape.

92 degrees: I hadn't thought of that, but you're right, a gent's folder will see a lot less tough use than my EDC.

RobbW, I know one of the three steels used in the damascus is D2, anyway , keep your eyes open, last week or so I saw a Damascus and Carbon Fiber T12 for $325.00. Good deals do happen , just be patient.

I wouldn't say that WH "mass produces" knives, there is a lot of hand finishing and detail that goes into the work. You do want to keep an eye on the "Productions for Sale Forum" here, you can really benefit from someone elses buyers remorse.

Back