William Henry

I am looking at purchasing one of their knives, the Evolution series in particular. I understand that this one is made outside the country, does that effect quality? How good would it be as a light use knife? I would also like to know if the models using cocobolo scales fade over time, or are they stabalized? Any help would be appreciated.:)

I have the small Evolution with Cocobolo scales. They are made in Japan, which really doesn't matter. It has excellent fit and finish -- just like every other WH knife I've ever seen or owned(including both their offshore and in-county models). It was my EDC for many months. I makes a perfect gents knife, especially around an office setting.

As to whether the cocobolo is stabilized, I would assume so. I'm certainly not worried about the wood fading or cracking, and never had any problems with it, even though it would at times get wet. Remember the cocobolo is relatively oily wood, which I'm sure helps too.

Summary: It's a great knife, go for it. You won't be disappointed!

- Mark

P.S. Just noticed you're from WA. Sometimes Excalibur Cutlery in the malls has WH knives, in case you want to handle one.

P.P.S. Welcome to BladeForums :D

I doubt they need to be stabilized. Cocobolo is the second hardest wood in the world, second only to ironwood and appears to be denser than water such that it sinks. http://exoticwoodworks.150m.com/cocobolo_info.html It's used a lot in gun grip panels. I would expect it to outperform other woods and considering the fact that many people have guns with wood stocks that are well over 100 years old, which have been used extensively outside in all weather and still look great. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep some boiled linseed oil or tung oil, or some suitable finish on it.

The evolution series is made in Japan. The fit and finish are still good, but not quite as good as the ones made here. As far as overall quality its still very good.

Specifically, the Evolution is produced by Moki. Moki is billed as a "factory handmade knife" and produces a superior product. I think they produce the finest production knife going, bar none. Moki also produces many Al Mar knives, and Berretta knives such as the Busfield, and they did the Spyderco Jess Horn knives. Do you see a pattern here? They also make the Fallkniven folder, which is VERY similar to the Evolution series. Given the quality of the product at the price, they are very togh to beat. If you like "fancy" knives they produce some stunning pearl inlaid folders, under their own name that are amazing...if you can find them. I own one of each model in the Evolution series, and have been very happy with their performance. You will not be dissapointed.

I just bought a medium sized Evolution limited production with Maple Burl scales. It's #33/50. I have an american made one with carbon fiber and a damascus blade. The Evolution is extreemly close in quality. The best part is I am not afraid to carry this one. It is my first Evolution model but not my last.

Back