Wilson Combat Umnumzaan - considering one

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a Wilson Combat Umnumzaan aka StarTac, but am confused about the blade material.

The original CRK Umnumzaan is made from SV35, while Wilson's site states that theirs is made out of SV30.

What gives?

Thanks for your comments.

It may be related to the born on date of the Zaan. Only fairly recently has CRK produced knives in SV35. All the StarTacs may be older, I am not sure if they still produce them.

Current production StarTac's, are using the same steel( SV35), as Chris is using for his regular "Zaan's.

Current production StarTac's, are using the same steel( SV35), as Chris is using for his regular "Zaan's.

Thanks for your reply. Just logged in to your site to place my order, and they're all gone!!! :grumpy:

Any ideas when will they be back in stock?

We have them on order with CRK.....we will have the as soon as he delivers them to us....and that is all we can say. CRK knives are in huge demand, and that is why we keep them n order... That is about as fast as you can get the knives....

Best,

WCR

Thanks for your reply. Just logged in to your site to place my order, and

they're all gone!!! :grumpy:

Any ideas when will they be back in stock?

also keep your eye on the for sale threads- one pops up every now and then...........rarely

Does anybody know if the ones that are back in stock at the Wilson Combat site come with the new style pivot, or is it still the old style?

Does anybody know if the ones that are back in stock at the Wilson Combat site come with the new style pivot, or is it still the old style?

I just sent them an email to find out, before I order an UMNUM AND A LARGE. Ill post when I've heard back.

I called Wilson today and all of there new UMNUM's have the new pivot and they have 25 in stock. Just placed my order.

Guys please post the pic of how the WC Umnu loos like with the hex pivot.
Thanks

Just opened the package and took these pics. This is the perfect camping knife for me right along with my INYALA. Here you go boys,you might want to be alone for this. LMAO. By the way I am not a good photoman but this looks pretty good.

photobucket-2402-1348172478361_zpsf80e388f.jpg

photobucket-12577-1348172476604_zps529d4e55.jpg

photobucket-6416-1348172479233_zpsaabeeab8.jpg

photobucket-23278-1348172477472_zpse7bd6458.jpg

Thank you TMC for those nice photos. That is it. I am ordering mine from WC right now. BTW what is your opinion on those new pivots are they protruding too much or annoying in any way?

They don't protrude that far. You can't really notice them at all .Love it. Better hurry with these pics there not going to last long.

My original StarTac 'zaan is two years old now. Do I need S35VN? It'd be nice - a slight improvement over S30V. But... it would have that lockbar over extension limiting disk (I guess we can't call it a Hinderer device!)... and no more four pin plastic spanner needed. I think I'm good. Besides, mine is starting to show some patina...

004-4.jpg

If I didn't have my original one - I'd grab one in a NY minute - while you can! Great knife!! The Nyala, also S35VN (Actually the first CRK of that steel, I believe - the Sebbies followed by Summer 2011.) is a great camp/bushcraft knife - and a bargain!

Stainz

I've had mine for a couple of years now, which makes it one of the "older" models, but I love mine, as it's my EDC; still smooth as silk, and have no desire for a new model, as I prefer this older one, and pretty sure I'll be handing it down someday.
Does everything I've ever asked it to do, and does it with class. Maybe I'll get lucky someday, and be able to snag a LH older one on the second hand market, even though I've learned how to use a regular RH nicely just the same.
Sometimes you get something in life, that you just know you'll be useful friends for life, like a Rolex watch, etc, and this is another one of those quality items to keep !

Back