wilton 2x72 questions

hi guys, I just picked up a wilton 2x72 model 4103 and was wonder besides pulling the platen out to line up with the edge on the left side, what are the alternatives? does anybody have a replacement cover for the belt on top? it broke at the hinge point. I went to this website for the lid but that is the only thing they don't have for a replacement.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/wilton-4103-5507796-square-wheel-belt-grinder-parts-c-32774_32777_32778.html

here is the lid.

and this is the one problem with grinding on left side. if everything is tight there is a gap I can't get to on the heel.

and here is my solution which someone told me to do.

I don't really like having to use it like that but is there a solution for this or does anybody make something to fix this? I don't have to heavy machinery to make parts so if anybody wants to help out let me know. and there is probably a thread about this already but I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
You should put a ceramic platen over the steel one. It gives you the extra clearance you need. I used to have a square wheel myself. I was looking to pick up new ceramic one from USA Knife Maker Supply but they are out. Basically it is fire place glass you have it made to go over the steel platen for a flatter surface , Because over the steel get uneven and will make it difficult to keep things flat . So look in to getting that. As far as the shield I had mine lifted up all the time . I know its for safety but I just never shut it.

The second picture shows a allen head bolt. Turning that bolt in or out tracks the belt. As far as the guard, either weld it back, or drill bolt holes and put a small hinge on it.
The suggestion for a ceramic platen is a good one.

so I had to grind off the hinge from the rod and soak over night in wd-40 then i pounded it out, my cover will work again, gonna take it to a welder down the street and have him fix it.

I ordered my ceramic platen, how much pressure do I put to epoxy it on?

I used JB weld to attach mine. I placed about a five pound piece of steel on top of the glass to hold it in place till the JB weld dried.

I used JB weld to attach mine. I placed about a five pound piece of steel on top of the glass to hold it in place till the JB weld dried.
cool thanks, I was gonna use that 5 min epoxy and use some weights i got laying around

I got the lid fixed and my ceramic platen ordered, belts have shipped out... Now the waiting game starts.

After using the wilton I notice the belt has a slight wobble. Its not much. Does anybody now where to get a new tracking wheel? Anybody here make them?

If you haven't already thought of this, I would check the belt, I bought a belt from usa knife supply that had a wicked wobble, the folks over at usa happily sent me a new belt, The way to check is to rotate the belt 180 degrees and it will wobble in the opposite direction, or at least the one I had did

Thanks for the belt info, So I've been using it now for quite some time and now I am getting zapped with static all the time. Is this normal?

This wilton sure beats a 1x30 grizzly on the ground hunched over sitting on a 5 gallon bucket grinding out one blade ever two days...

Some belts just wabble. Try a different belt and see if it runs true. As far as tracking, try putting several layers of electritions tape on the center of the tracking wheel. That will give more "crown" to the wheel and help the tracking.

static on a glass platen is normal. It can sure give you a shock. There have been some threads about grounding to the machine that will help. I have forgotten the details. You might do a static shock search on this forum.

Get an aerosol can of anti static spray for clothes and spray the inside of the moving belt for about three seconds. Its simple , it lasts, and it works well. Frank

Get an aerosol can of anti static spray for clothes and spray the inside of the moving belt for about three seconds. Its simple , it lasts, and it works well. Frank

static on a glass platen is normal. It can sure give you a shock. There have been some threads about grounding to the machine that will help. I have forgotten the details. You might do a static shock search on this forum.

Cool, thanks for the info guys, helps a lot!

I have a plan not sure if this has been done to this grinder before has been made but I was thinking of making parts or having parts made. the glass platen works great but I feel like I need more room on the left side so I was thinking buying Platen Attachment for the KMG and welding a square tube for tooling arm on the wilton side arm and re-making the resting table a bit wider... any suggestions? gonna draw something out soon

Back