Winchester Swiss Style Pocket knife.

Purely a knock-off... Why waste your time? Don't stow your LM or Vic just yet. =)

josekym said:
Purely a knock-off... Why waste your time? Don't stow your LM or Vic just yet. =)

I have a very similar piece, the main blade tang should have made in China stamped on it.:(

I can almost understand somebody that doesn't know anything about knives to go out and buy such a piece. (I remember a buddy years ago telling me that he had bought a really nice and "expensive" knife for $5 at Wally world - I thought he was joking, but nope, he thought that $5 was an arm and a leg for a knife - Case XX and China meant the same to him). Anyway, I say leave the junk at the store where it belongs and just and save a couple more dollars up so you can get the real Victorinox that you know you can depend on. For the price, I don't think you could match a Victorinox in quality and dependability.

jtb49er2000 said:
I can almost understand somebody that doesn't know anything about knives to go out and buy such a piece. (I remember a buddy years ago telling me that he had bought a really nice and "expensive" knife for $5 at Wally world - I thought he was joking, but nope, he thought that $5 was an arm and a leg for a knife - Case XX and China meant the same to him). Anyway, I say leave the junk at the store where it belongs and just and save a couple more dollars up so you can get the real Victorinox that you know you can depend on. For the price, I don't think you could match a Victorinox in quality and dependability.

In my case, I will not buy a cheap knock-off knife for all the right reasons, which includes, in addition to the above, not wanting to encourage that market while supporting quality makers.

Anyone who uses a knife or tool for real understands, or soon will, the value of one properly made and will pay the price. However, with the exception of those who know knives but are just interested in a toy, a whole lot of people simply don't make rigorous demands on their hardware. For these multitudes, the most exercise their Vic clones ever get will be opening mail or cutting tape, and their Leather(ish)men will serve for light duty pliers . They will more likely lose one before breaking it. What we think of as junque serves these purposes well enough, so why should they pay more than $5 ?

Face it; cheap knives get sold because there is a market for them and the price is right. Leatherman and Victorinox never did own that segment.

Back