Windlass Kindjal & Qama

Yeah, I know it's Windlass, but anybody have any experience with either of these?

Keep getting the catalog & those two kinda jump out at me every time. :)
Denis

Yeah, I know it's Windlass, but anybody have any experience with either of these?

Keep getting the catalog & those two kinda jump out at me every time. :)
Denis

I owned the kindjal for a short period of time, as with most Windlass pieces it's not too shabby for the price. Are these Albion or Arms and Armor pieces? No. Do they have prices like those pieces? No again. Windlass is a pretty decent bang for the buck in most cases in my opinion, if you like them, get them.

Thanks.
Didn't expect them to be Albion quality, or up to a 2-hour blade-on-blade. :)

Been burned on a couple of their things I've ordered in the past, quality-wise.
Not needing anything fancy, just wondered if good steel, reasonably good fit.

Might break down & go for 'em.
Denis

I had a Kindjal 20 or so years ago-required some modification for western hands, but it was springy and it got very sharp. It did require a LOT of edge reprofiling-I was glad it wasn't harder than it was.

That's what I was afraid of- not interested in putting much post-buy effort into either.
How's their sharpening service?
Denis

If it was me I'd find a BF member who understands sword sharpening vs knife sharpening. I've seen some suspiciouly short, obtuse bevels on MR swords-don't know if they were end user induced or the sharpening service, but why take a chance.

Thanks.
If I go ahead, might do that.

One consideration is that I'm not sure how much effort & cash I want to put into essentially a cheap item.

Never expect "premium" from Windlass, but at least "workable" would be nice.
Denis

I have a Quama, think i bought it in a shop in Spain, had it sharpened for a little extra and it is really sharp, so they did a good job.
It reminds me of a gladius, a short pointy stabber.
One important thing is that it probably was made for people of that time in history, you almost have to have the hand of a child to fit the handle, my hand just fits, but a little bigger handle wouldn't have ruined it :)

Here in comparison with a Hanwei practical wakizashi and an Esee 6:

Quama2_zps5b75d68f.jpg

I have a Qama and its a typical Windlass product....good value for this price point. Mine came hair popping sharp. As has been stated the handle is a bit on the small size but I have average size hands and can wield the little sword effectively with no problems.

Well, i wish they weren't there, but it is doable. Just keep em on the side where your fingers rest and not the palm of the hand.

Single-sided, then?
Assumed equal height & protrusion on both sides.
That helps.
Thanks again.
Denis

In some ways the studs actually help keep the thing in your hand. They're not comfy, but I have seen them prevent a swordapult incident.

Back