Windlass Steelcrafts Quality question

What do you all think of the blades and overall workmanship of Windlass Steel produced knives and swords and other items?

Museum Replicas used to work with the Del Tin Brothers in Italy:

http://www.deltin.net/home.htm

Now most of their swords and daggers are produced by Windlass out of India.

I've owned five windlass swords and never had a problem with any of them, as to fit, finish, or durability. Temper has always been decent as well. For the money, they were a fair buy, and I'm sure many started with a Windlass as a first "real sword". All my purchases were a few years back or more, and rumor has it that quality has slipped a bit.

The associatoion between Del Tin and Museum Replcas ceased when Windlass bought Museum Replicas and Atlanta Cutlery, some two decades ago.

There are still occasional gems for the money being produced by Windlass but by and large, Museum Replicas has predominately catered to the cosplay crowd. Windlass also recently discontinued wholesaling the weapons to retailers in porder to demand/command their pricing. What Museum Replicas has offered is a wide range of items at prices for the more budget minded. I have owned a handful of items from them and still like a sword I bought from them in 1999. Watch the Museum Replicas page daily if looking for a bargain. More and more often that includes costume garments but there are occasional good bargains to be found. I had bought one of a small batch of rapiers that was actually quite well done, with a good stiff blade. I also traded into one of their warhammers that aside from the original haft, compares well to Arms&Armor (A US maker).

Atlanta Cutlery sells a number of sabers and bowies that are well liked by some. I had the Patton 1913 cavalry sword for many years, which is very well done as well.

Before Windlass took over, there were some great items we'll never see again. Both current Windlass sites sell items from other producers.

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
I own one Windlass sword, and got to handle several in the Atlanta Cutlery showroom years ago, and specs for most are available online.

The one I own is a Factory X type XIV, that I only bought because it was on super clearance sale for a mere $40, and at the time, lots of folks were raving about 'em. I can honestly say you won't find a better sword anywhere for 40 dollars. However, I do not consider it a good sword. I could live with all the ripples in the finish, and the hard and soft spots left by their spotty heat treat (I used a file for the initial sharpening, and some sections of edge filed easily while others were extremely hard). But my biggest complaint against all the ones I've handled has been poor dynamic balance. Mine does not handle and cut the way a real sword should. Now I've read that some models have great balance just by luck, but I'd rather not gamble on another one.

Windlass makes some very good short swords , the Spartan / Lakonia blade is excellent . The Qama is basic but excellent value .

Their Oakeshott Type XIV is a good sword . They also make good spear heads .

The trade offs from many producers are the blade stock thickness and distal taper, historical aesthetics, attention to fit and finish, mystery metals cast for fittings, on and on. It is not just Windlass that shares these trade offs in cost of production. It is even more apparent when looking at all the katana coming out of China. They may appeal visually and may even to be nice inexpensive alternatives. There is a a lot more to cheap out on with those $100 katana that cost about $5 to produce.

That said, Hanwei has maintained an affordable price point for the gimme western stuff and would be considered the chief competitor at the low end. Darksword is making higher price packages that scream quality they really don't have. Go ahead and spend money on them if appealing but one will sell themselves short. As with Windlass, Darksword is more targeted to the cosplay sector of the market of "gee whiz, what a nice sword I have, it even has a scabbard with a belt". Ok. whatever. As with the katana crowd, few are going to bother with what really goes into a traditional katana build.

There is a daily deal on Museum Replicas today that is a sword with scabbard and belt. The Sword of Tancred. Half price but even their regular price half of a comparable Darksword package. Darksword would charge even more, as the Windlass sword has more hilt detail. Details Darksword is pretty lousy with (pressed wood "carving" on $800 swords, coarse casting, etc).

In the end, it is an entirely personal journey and one will either love a purchase or not.

I am more willing to buy a Hanwei product than Windlass but at the same time, one never knows what might come along that better suits my wants. In the end, a couple of hundred dollars to me means there are a lot of things I'd purchase before any production sword (books, groceries, general overhead etc).

My one new sword last year was a second hand Hanwei mortuary at a great price. For the same price, I could have bought another primo 1850s US militia sword but I already have seven or eight of them (its a bit like counting toes on a cat that has an odd number).

I have friends now clamoring to possibly have me part with both antique, Ams&Armor and Del Tin swords. Nobody wants the couple of Windlass swords I have left and that's great, I love them both. The Patton went off in trade last year.

The possibilities are endless.

GC

I have their Qama and Russian Kindjal swords, as well as many of their bowie knives. Overall, I'd say they are a decent value. The fit and finish is usually below average for these types of knives, but the steel and heat treat seems okay. On the other hand, the prices are what put them over the top. Where else can you get a $40 gladius sword (Qama) that is actually usable and feels pretty good in hand? I didn't like the R. Kindjal, though, it both looks and feels pretty flimsy and crappy. For about $75, some of the bowies are a decent buy also. They are a bit thin at 1/8 inch, but they do feel good in hand. They're very light and fast. I wouldn't bet my life on one of their bowies but I'm okay with them for what I paid. I'd recommend the Qama, if you're looking for a bargain short sword, and I'd also recommend some of the bowies, such as the Coffin Handled Bowie and the Hunter's Companion Bowie (which I think is now discontinued).

hmmm....
the long viking hewing spear looks pretty decent, too.

Back