Wingman/Sidekick durability

I bought a Wingman for a mate of mine a couple of days ago and liked it quite a bit. I thought it would feel cheap, but other than a couple of tools I don't care for it seemed like a decent multitool.

I was wondering if anybody here had experience using either of these two models for a while. I'd like to know if they hold up well.

I have a Leatherman Rev which is, I think, pretty similar. The tools are decent enough quality. The pliers are great. I’ve also had no rust issues.

However, the lock for the blade absolutely sucks. And the plier handles are too far apart. My wife has small hands and can’t use it very well. If she needs a Leatherman I give her my Fuse/Blast hybrid I made. (Because Leatherman has never made the perfect tool for me *hint hint LM)

Overall it’s OK. Just be mindful of the lock.

Thank you both for your input. OzarkJoe, the lock on my Skeletool is kind of weak, too. However, since the knife blade is something I don't use a lot on my multitools (I always have at least one dedicated knife on me) it's not a deal breaker.

The WM and SK are what most would call entry level tools. They work well enough, are lightweight, and usually sport enough different tools to make due. Mine got a lot of use opening toy packages and replacing batteries in said toys. They are high polished, so they should stave off rust well enough, but they certainly don't inspire the confidence of the other LM offerings, but they aren't really designed to replace those. At $30, they offer LM quality and the iron-clad warranty. However, I wouldn't press them too hard. It would be best to trade up to a Rebar. Honestly, I think the Skeletool, while lighter, feels a little more robust.

My WM is currently my wife's purse tool. A blade, some scissors, pliers, and a driver or two has helped out several times. I have even had to borrow it to fix something when I have forgotten my "good" tool at home:eek:

I have two Sidekicks and 1 Wingman... all have held up extremely well with no issues or induced sloppyness. As was said, they are entry-level Leatherman's... still excellent.

The blade locks on all of them have been solid as well. No complaints whatsoever.

I quit carrying my Wave after buying a Wingman. For me the Wingman does what I need it to and I like the pocket clip. I keep it in the leg pocket of my work pants and never know it' there until I need it. For me it's a tool that saves a trip back to the truck when I need a pair of pliers or screwdriver for some unforeseen small task. I'm not going to try and wire a house with it but for a single switch or pulling a cover off something it works just fine.

Old thread, but I love my Leatherman stuff....

I have the Rev, Wingman and Sidekick. I think they are all great for the $$$ ($30-40).

The Rev is a more scaled down version of the Wingman and Sidekick and IMO the only reason to buy a WM over a SK (or vice versa) is if you have a preference for scissors or a serrated blade. They are the identical beyond that. The Rev is a bit smaller in size but I definately prefer the WM/SK.

I use all 3 a lot and I think they are well thought out tools. They are very durable IME bit I haven’t used either blade for much more than cutting cardboard or plastic. Screwdrivers and pliers are durable as hell.

As mentioned above, the pliers handles are pretty far apart for people with small hands.

I keep one on my bass guitar gig bag (Rev) and carry one of the others almost everywhere. Surprising how often you use a LM if it is handy.

I have the Sidekick, and it is holding up just fine.

I wish I could swap the saw on this Sidekick for the scissors that come on the Wingman... I'd have a perfect multi.

I broke the file and the flathead on my Sidekick trying to break into my house after losing my keys. Many would consider this abuse however (myself included), so take it for what its worth.

I later bought another because they are so cheap for what you get, though they may not be as well constructed as the main line of multitools.
I like the spring-loaded pliers and the slim package of the tool; it feels nice in the hand and carries well clipped to the pocket. Great fishing companion IMO.

For me , the Sidekick is carried/used more than any of my other Leatherman tools except maybe the Squirt PS4.which is always in the watch pocket.

And I do own the Wave, Rebar, Fuse, Kick, original PST and more.

The introductory Sidekick/Wingman models really fill almost all the basics . Actually so does the Rev to some degree. The price is also not
excessive. If you want to spend more for additional features, LM has you covered.

When in doubt, go get a dedicated tool if you can,

My two cents

Before I relegated my Sidekick to car carry, I used it for various chores around the house/yard, and it held up just fine.

Back