• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(Winners Announced) Contest!!! 2 Winners to be announced Saturday 5/28

A few of them look like maple to me, but the other I have no clue on! Count me in for the second group.

Thanks!

1. Maple burl
2. Redwood burl
3. Spalted maple burl
4. Redwood burl
5. Quilted maple
6. Spalted maple burl

Thanks for the contest! I drool everytime I search through the online store..

I have absolutely no idea and I'm a Carpenter :)..... you're all just exotic wood snobs :D

Thanks for the chance at some random action !!!!

I have absolutely no idea and I'm a Carpenter :)..... you're all just exotic wood snobs :D

Thanks for the chance at some random action !!!!

I prefer not to call it exotic wood.
I was thinking something more refined, like..............Freaks of Nature.

Maple burl on all of them! Thanks for the chance Mark.

I too don't have a clue but most look like redwood and maple, like everyone has already stated.

But put me in on the random drawing please.

And Thanks!
Kelly

Yea, all I recognize is spalted maple for one or two of them, so I may have a better chance with the RNG.

Time to announce the contest winners.
I thought I was being tricky because even a couple of the people who work here were not able to correctly identify all the blocks.
As ten of you guessed, they are all maple. So first I am using the random number generator to see which one of the ten correct guesses is the winner.
For guessing correct the winner is FOXX Shipped Priority Mail 5/30
The totally random winner is Slider817 Shipped Priority Mail 5/30

Congratulations both of you guys.

To select your prize you can pick any piece you want from the Wood Junky Sale thread that will be posted shortly, or you can select something from my webstore.
If you pick a block from the sale thread make a post in that thread claiming your prize so nobody else can purchase the one you want.

As runner up prizes for the other nine of you who guessed correctly, you can have a $10 credit toward anything you want from the sale thread.

The nine runner ups are:
Tad Lynch
M. Griffin
J. Doyle
BACustomKnives
AMCardon
Silversage
Aland
Rob Loveday
KFU

Thank You to everyone who took part in the contest.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the contest. I've been waiting, no particular reason, to get some handle materials. This is cool, it will be my first attempt at doing my own handle scales. I've modified a few, but haven't gone all the way.

Thanks again, and congradulations to Slider817 and all the runner ups!

I thought the guys who were guessing all maple were just joking. Clearly the joke's on me :)

Congratulations all of you, especially the winners!

Thank you so much for the Contest, I will PM you with my info, really looking forward to this, I think this is a great opportunity to try my hand at making my own knife.

Thanks again

I thought the guys who were guessing all maple were just joking. Clearly the joke's on me :)

Congratulations all of you, especially the winners!

No Dan,
The joke was not on you. Some of these pieces I would have been unsure of the ID if I had not cut the burls myself.
You can get a lot of variations with burl, then if it spalts even more, and sometimes a piece is just a unique freak of nature.

Back