Winter Outdoors

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
With cold weather already here and expecting snow anytime, me and the fam have been figuring what we can do outside to keep from getting cabin fever this winter.

What is everything thinking of taking up this winter? Anything new?

I'm looking at getting some snowshoes, which I've never done, in order to do some hiking with the kids. I haven't decided if they'll come along in snowshoes as well, the 3 year old at least, or to pull them in a sled/pulk. I have a utility sled I've been meaning to dr up as a winter camping tool. Or, the bike trailer I have also has ski and hiking attachments I could purchase, but they're stupid expensive and not as versatile as the sled.

Last year I did a lot of winter fatbiking and a couple days of CC skiing as there wasn't a lot of snow around us. I'm hoping the snowshoes would allow more days out when there's too much snow or ice for the fatbike but not good enough snow for skiing. I also have a 1 hour lunch at the new job I have and there's a golf course/county park just down the road so I may spend some lunches there messing around. I haven't had that long of a lunch in many years.

I'm really looking forward to a little snowfall and brisk days outside. I always love how quite the woods are when it's covered in snow. Just the sounds of me falling on the skis or sliding out on the bike.

This one is a little unorthodox, but I do truly believe in it: Barefoot (brisk) walks and runs! Start small, but if you keep moving, your feet are like a "second heartbeat" and the continuous and elevated bloodflow help to offset the cold on your feet, and while it might "hurt" at first, you can get used to it, and gain certain types of fortitude not known by average morsels. 🥶🦸‍♂️

i second the barefoot runs. also,daily ice-cold showers are a life changer and will help you withstand the cold so much more. from what i've read, it will change your body fat and you'll become much more resitant to cold weather.

first two weeks are hell, after that its the most normal thing. wash yourself with luke warm water and then switch to cold water. i see people around me freezing while i'm only wearing a wool sweater.

on the snowshoes: invest in some MSR snowshoes. they are top of the line. i've had mine for 11 years and they are nearly indestructible. the also offer a lot of traction with their built in crampons. i live in the alps so thats an important factor for me.

i built an igloo for the first time last winter and spent the night in it with my buddy. we had a great time building it, brought my gas stove and cooked some steaks (outside the igloo because of co2 build up).

i am looking for a lightweight trailer for my gravelbike so i can transport my skis and gear. i love to go backcountry skiing, spending a couple nights in the mountains in an igloo or snow cave.

on the snowshoes: invest in some MSR snowshoes. they are top of the line. i've had mine for 11 years and they are nearly indestructible. the also offer a lot of traction with their built in crampons. i live in the alps so thats an important factor for me.

My biggest beef with MSR's is the lack of flotation since I'm built pretty dense. Let's cut to the chase, I'm a fatty right now but still not lightweight when in athletic levels of fitness. Their offerings are very limiting.

I was leaning towards some Tubbs panoramic to make sure I have enough to carry me and a pack if we get some powdery snowfall. I'm looking into TSL's out of curiosity but it seems like they tend to be better on hardpack and ice, or denser snow, whereas we get a little of everything in Michigan depending on how the winds bring stuff in from the great lakes. I keep forgetting about the atlas montaine that is positively reviewed as well. I really wanted to get out the door under $150 but I feel like I'm just going to be buying again with the current offerings... especially buying right at peak buying season. I'm really hoping for a Black Friday sale.

I actually wouldn't hate to try some of the old-school webbing things, but they're harder to track down than I expected and the few that I found were also over-priced, IMO. There's also the conundrum of how much might I actually use them since they're competing for what I already do. Rentals would be nice, but there wasn't anything local I could find.

Last edited:
The snow melted so I have no trail to follow now :(

Back