WIP Filipino fighter

Hey guys! you wanted texture... so here you go! *grins* i kinda wanted more of a color change... any recomendations?

okay... i put on a coat of really slow West Systems resin, letting it soak into the wood, then wiping it off before it set up, so i have a satin-ish finish.
went over it with 500 grit paper and 000 steel wool. then i used a high speed rotary tool to texture the wood. then went over it witha coat of tung oil. and then i took off the blade covering. you can see the hamon very well in the right light.
the sheath is still a work in progress. more pictures to follow.

please let me know what you think!

IMG_0676-1.jpg

IMG_0678-1.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

thanks,
~Chris

that is outstanding. I enjoy everything you pump out, but this is just brilliant.

thanks guys!

organic.. thats kinda what i was going for.. very organic, and i think the texture helps that.. as you said.. fungus.. or marrow... you know what i mean?

it is fun to have time to work again! all A's in school so i can relax for a couple weeks. hoping to finish up some projects!

i'll keep you posted!
thanks again!
~Chris

Nicely done! You've got some incredible patience, and it definitely pays dividends when it comes to your knife-making:thumbup:

ABSOLUTELY INCDEDIBLE!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

comin together very, very nicely.

Chris, this is an excellent thread! It wasn't that long ago that I checked in here from a long time off only to see this new young punk (you) arguing with some of the oldtimers and basically getting the "STFU" treatment that occasionally happens here, but you tempered your attitude and have shown incredible talent. WOW! Congratulations! I think what I am most impressed by you is that rather than wondering if you can do something, thinking about whether you can accomplish something, etc, you just DO IT and see what happens. In knifemaking that is a personality trait that goes a LONG way.

Every time I look at one of your posts I think "Where does this 'kid' (I'm only 33, but still) get the balls to even think he can do that?" and you DO it! LOL! Way to go, you really inspire me. Your progress in what you're doing is amazing, really. I hope you really think seriously about turning this art into a full-time career.

I examined this blade and sheath Wednesday. It is an outstanding job.
Chris is definitely talented.

I remember ,last year, telling him to take a step back and learn a little before tackling the big jobs, like swords. Well, he didn't listen....and he sure showed all of us old geezers what he can do. I can't wait for Chris to get a couple more years under his belt. He may stun us all with his creative ability.
Stacy

Back