WIP, Spyderco Waterway - and a peek under the hood

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings all. I have Spyderco Waterway that I think is wonderful. I always mod my knives to make them more wonderful for my vision of how they can be more useful, beautiful, or both, at least to me and for my purposes.

So here is what has happened so far, and I will also continue to update this thread as I continue this project.

First, I shortened the handle to allow a more palm supported forward grip, enabling me to more easily point the knife straight ahead and bring the tip to bear more easily for piercing. I also reground the ricasso area to give maximum cutting edge length, and dropped the point. I regound the geometry about .008" thinner, too. I did these mods to make it more EDC friendly, useful and comfortable for me. Here is what that looked like:

IMG_5872.JPG
IMG_5873.JPG

I also modded the sheath to accommodate the smaller knife.

IMG_5871.JPG

I made a white sheath for it also for carry. When I did not carry it, I had it hung up in my shower for those times I was extra messy in the shop and need to scrape excess glue off my hands.

Waterway in the shower.JPG

The Waterway scales are pretty nice, but from the factory they were a little sharp around the edges of the machining, so I hit it with a sanding sponge, and ran a diamond file along the perimeter a few times to smooth everything out. Well that is moot, now, because I decided to rehandle it, given that they are perhaps each 1/8" too thin for as secure and confidence inspiring a grip as I would like, and I ground the factory G10 scales off completely.

Here is a public service gesture for anyone who is curious to know how the handles are attached:

IMG_7766.JPG
IMG_7767.JPG
IMG_7768.JPG
IMG_7769.JPG

And then I further profiled the handle more to my liking, including grinding the finger groove a little bit further forward to give me even more grip on the knife.

IMG_7770.JPG

There you go friends. I believe I will be next making a contoured handle of black canvas micarta with yellow G10 liners and carbon fiber tubes. Instead of using my usual water resistant Gorilla Glue CA, I will be going with regular Gorilla Glue for 100% a waterproof knife. I hope you have enjoyed this so far.

Have a great weekend everyone, and see you next week.

I cut the middle part out of the tang to save weight. I slightly dished out the scales for the same purpose. I used internal pin construction as Spyderco also did. I reheated and molded the mouths of the factory sheath I modded as well as the white Kydex sheath I made for when I want to carry the knife, which will assuredly be much more often now that these mods are complete.

Handle Construction
IMG_7849.JPG
IMG_7850.JPG

RZLN3473.jpg

Handle Complete
IMG_7858.JPG
IMG_7859.JPG
IMG_7861.JPG
IMG_7862.JPG
IMG_7863.JPG

In the Sheath(s)
IMG_7856.JPG