WIPstagram - American Tanto progress

Very enjoyable WIP!
Thank you for everything you have posted so far.

Just my 2 cents on the sheath question.....
I vote for a stand and maybe a wood saya.

So you'll probably notice that I haven't posted any finished photos yet...
... I tried... I really did.

This is a cool knife in my biased opinion. I feel like it's right up there as one of my best... and I was stoked to photograph it as soon as it was complete, but...

... I spent like three hours in my basement trying to take a decent photo of it, and failed miserably. :mad: Lights, white reflectors, black reflectors, scrims... nothing seemed to work. I used my wife's 5D with a fixed 50mm L lens on a tripod (so not for lack of good equipment), but couldn't take a good photo to save my life. :nightmare: Couldn't even get a clean focus... even on manual. Not sure whether the diopter is all whacked... but I took the setback as a sign that I needed to go ahead, bite the bullet, and make a sheath.

That's is what I started to do this weekend.

Just my 2 cents on the sheath question.....
I vote for a stand and maybe a wood saya.

Not quite what I'm going for. I'm thinking I should re-classify this as a Japanese-inspired Fighter rather than an American Tanto. The leather sheath does get a touch of wood though.

16648683209_3df6b9478a_c.jpg

I worked on this sheath, and one for an older knife. I only ended up finishing the other sheath before running out of time last night.

Progress is still being made. Hoping to have photos of the finished knife (and sheath) before too long. Thanks for your patience.

Erin

Is anyone else getting red "X"s on some of my photos? Not sure what's wrong with Flickr the past few weeks.

You're such a tease... :grumpy: :D

I'm still lovin every part of this WIP, thank you again for taking the time to take us along for the ride. :)

Can't wait to see it all finished up man, that said, don't lack on the pics with any extra progress you make!! :cool:

btw- I just went back and looked through all the pics and all of them are showing up fine for me.. Take care :)

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

Well, I finished the sheath this afternoon. This is my first stab at a final photo. I'll probably start posting images all over in a few days... but I figure that anyone who hung in there through this WIP earned the right to get a sneak peak. I'll likely try a few different shots over the next few days... but here you go.

16901474271_71d6673bd1_b.jpg

Erin

Thanks guys. :thumbup:
I posted a few more photos of the finished knife HERE.

Thanks for taking the time to follow along.

Erin

I already commented on it in the custom and handmade forum but I just wanna say again, Thank you for sharing all of this with us. It was very enjoyable and I was able to pick up some tip/tricks that I can apply, the way it always it when great makers make detailed WIPs :) BTW, I love how vivid and vibrant that photo is!! It's quite a change from your norm, but I love the almost "tropical jurrasic" look it has.. er something lol Encore! :D

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

How did you do the tsukamaki without a ura?

Hey Brony...
Stuart Branson pointed me to the Gunto knot as illustrated on the left side of the fourth page of THIS LINK. I ignored top row of steps as I didn't really see any benefit as opposed to another standard triangle... plus, I intended to reinforce the entire wrap with epoxy. I tried to approximat the next four steps to the best that I could understand them... which had me end up with both ends coming out from under the rest of the wrap toward the butt of the knife. At this point I epoxied... and once it had cured, I cut the end of the cord with an exacto where the came out from underneath. I hope that makes sense.

The best photo I have of this area is this one.

16720150309_0cf81c7e10_b.jpg

I CAN tell you that this wrap process was a real pain. There were several times where my blood-pressure spiked and I ripped the entire cord off and threw it across the room... or at least as far as a person can throw a length of loose cord. My wife was concerned for my psychological well-being. :D

Erin

Back