Wish SOG would bring back some of the classics as a sprint run

How awesome would it be to see some iconic SOGs brought back to life as a sprint run? Knives like the Government and government agent, Desert Dagger & Tigershark recreated with modern super steels and materials to fuse classic SOG lines with the materials that do them justice. SOG if you read this, just give us one limited production run so we can solidify that SOG lineage that seems to be fading away.

Maybe if enough people speak up, we might be heard. If you think this is a good idea, feel free to chime in :thumbup:

I agree....good idea. I have a huge collection of the old models. The SCUBA/Demo (Damascus) is my favorite. Midnite Tiger Shark is also nice....been thinking about selling some. Think they would sell for a good price?

Tigershark in CPM 3v, mmmmmmm....

I would buy almost any old knife they brought back in 3v.

I've seen classic SOGs fetch pretty high prices online. If you happen to have a recon government, I might be interested in buying it :p

A limited run would be a great idea. But I shudder to think what kind of price tag would be put on a classic SOG using today's best materials. The limited run SOG/Kiku collaboration had a $2600 tag on it and the best I've seen second hand is like $1800. Which is outside my willingness to put into "one knife".
And yes, I am still looking for a scuba/demo....:D

A limited run would be a great idea. But I shudder to think what kind of price tag would be put on a classic SOG using today's best materials. The limited run SOG/Kiku collaboration had a $2600 tag on it and the best I've seen second hand is like $1800. Which is outside my willingness to put into "one knife".
And yes, I am still looking for a scuba/demo....:D

Great point Ken. A 3v Tigershark would probably cost more than my whole collection put together.

I would looooooove another dessert dagger!! No offense to SOG but just not a fan of the daggert models. The dessert dagger is by far my fav dagger of all time!! So much i got 3 :)

SOG needs to seriously evaluate their pricing. They're pouring out resources to make a lot of these budget models, and raising the prices of their median range to buffer their margins. They need to do away with a large portion of the lower end stuff, focus on making the median price range knives more affordable, which will make them a competitive option again & introduce a high end line. The company is moving towards becoming a budget brand in cutlery, and it won't be long before the SOG name has been completely diluted and unmarketable in the premium cutlery market.

There's no reason why they can't still turn a healthy profit by creating a 3V Government or Tigershark and charging $300-$400 for it. Custom knife makers do this, and they don't even get to enjoy economies of scale and other benefits of mass producing like SOG does.

The original tooling for the original product line
is probably long gone.
As with. much of the skilled artisans that did the handwork.
The cost of Replicating any of these in seki prefectures now
would naturally be much higher than it was originally.
And there in lies the problem.
As bad as it sounds, any cheaper means to do this
would in all probability
come from china.
Which I am sure
would be a great turn off for genuine purist
But should the impossible happen
I hope I would be encouraged enough
To splurge excessively
come what may.
Question is,
would the board of decision makers at sog knives
take such a financial risk?
A whole generation or two of sog knife fans have gone passed
It's now up to the buying power
and wants of the larger segment of the current generation
Who are New to sog knives
to further this cause of calling for
new and improved reproductions of the glory years.
I suspect the probability
that somewhere in sog knives central
Are a few well placed individuals
who dream about the same "what if" future.

Last edited:
I definitely see where you're coming from Girlymann. I feel like SOG is trying to make itself more palatable for a younger generation of users and enthusiasts. They've dropped their military heritage and adopted a low cost utility image. However, how many other brands are there that compete for this market segment. Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw etc. They all bring extremely competitive offerings to the table. Unfortunately, I don't think SOG will ever win at this game. Their materials are just too far behind, and they've relied too much on their name to give a sense of value. This doesn't work anymore as enthusiasts buy knives, not for the name, but mostly for the materials, designs and quality.

S30V is fast becoming the standard of knives, and many of SOG's offerings in the same price range are still using AUS 8. They're WAY behind in the materials aspect, and they're quickly getting left behind as other companies find ways to make premium steels fall into the middle price range of $110-$150. Look at what SOG has for that price and see if you can find any value in what they're offering :(.

I guess many share the same opinion on many things
regarding sog knives's post Seki product line.
Sadly, the long period are akin to "the lost years"
For first generation sog knife fans.
Perhaps the original business plan or model just
didn't cut well enough to weather the change in the marketplace.
With all the competition through out the years.
One might even say that the game changed for knife making business,
The day cnc machining came into play.
Technical advances meant that the look of sophisticated tech styling
Broke the long accepted genre for generic hunting knife styling.
Tactitools are a notable example of this change.
The use of High end materials might be beneficial for real usage.
But no sane individual is going to pay a single cent more
If a cheaper alternative can do the same job with less 'pain'.
All said, I would think a rejuvenation with new talents
can breath new life Back into the product line.
A good business model is spyderco's success with its custom knife maker collaborations.
But it's always better to get things done with an in house design team.
An outsider may not entirely have the same corporate inspiration when it comes to creativity.
Ideally, The look and feel of an object must bare likeness to its primary design theme.
That of an awesome rakish faceted Bowie...
For now, the fading living memories of past sog wonders would continue to haunt this forum.

Corporations must do what must be done in order to survive. If it means selling some crappy models made in
low quality places it's unfortunate but inevitable. SOG is hardly the only company in that position. I agree that
it is a short term solution aimed at immediate profitability and is ultimately detrimental to the label image in the long run. Frankly I am somewhat pleasantly surprised that SOG is able to limit it's China made products,
it's Taiwan made products not as bad as one may expect when actually used, and their higher end folders still
made in Seki Japan. The "mix" could conceivably have been much worse.
As for revitalizing SOG through going back to it's roots, I question how far the old models can be modernized.
As much as the idea is wonderful fun to imagine. The originals were based on a 1960s design that used SK-3 and leather. Personally I think that SOG should design an entirely new "military priority" design based on current requirements using current materials. Successful acceptance by any of the services will spawn a new momentum, just as the original SOG blade did from the 1980s onwards. This, the military connection,is what put SOG knives on the map, and it is what will establish an image in the minds of the younger generations who have no idea of SOG's history.

I had always though the kiku ku01
3673_0.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4UbsN4Z9vQE
As a promising design that could have been explored
For a possible re adaptation
for a new range of full tang sog knives bush/combative knives.
I envisioned at least 3 lengths of fixed blades,
And maybe even an arc lock folder or two.
It certainly would have made a great impression with
A fresh new approach for a no nonsense "new look".

I dont know man...what makes the old knives epic was the story behind them, or sometimes the lack of story. Unless they had them recreated in Seki they should never do it! Also to the people who asked about selling old SOG knives, I buy!

I completely agree. A limited run on 100 that costs over $2000 doesn't do anything for anyone. Especially me lol. But the basis of the idea as you say is there. With increased urban warfare both military and law enforcement, the need for a 7" blade is probably overridden by a need for a 5" one today. Mr. Matsuda has
been able to sell his knives to a U.S. Swat Team. No reason why with SOG's background they couldn't be
selling a new modern design to the military and law enforcement.

I completely agree. A limited run on 100 that costs over $2000 doesn't do anything for anyone. Especially me lol.

Right, I mean the real deal wouldn't cost that much. Why buy a revamped tigershark in 3v for say $1000 when you could get the real deal, hand ground by a guy in Japan, Midnite SK5 SMCA for much less....

When you first think about this idea it sounds amazing, but after some consideration it might not make sense nor be feasible for the end user (IE way too expensive).

Mini Auto Clip in BG42... :) I was also fond of the leather handles Attache, reminded me of those keyring knives the old man used to get from the vending machines for 50¢ when we stopped at the truck stops while he was driving long haul.

Last edited:
An envisioned series could come in 3 steel choices
A top end stainless steel laminate/super steel
A standard stainless steel
A carbon steel like 1095
The handle scales could be offered in
G10
Micarta
FRN
That way a customer gets to pick an appropriate model
to fit his budget or requirement.
The key thing of course is to come up with a striking knife design
which would be attractive Enough to chalk up sales.
Design choice for mass production Is an entirely important decision to make.
Some choices seem to be something of a mystery at times...
And it would be nice having it OEMed states side sometime.

I m all for serial or special limited runs
But only if it can make profitable returns.
Otherwise, it's just normal off the shelf variants for me.
As noted by others before,
There are numerous other options in the market for the picking.
But to find a specific design or model
made with higher end materials than was or currently available
Is what which separates the throughbred aficionado
From the ordinary occasional knife buyer.

Last edited:
Back