Witch one you would choose?

Hello! I am undecised between theese CS knives, i want something like a companion/edc knife for almost everything.
In my case is the SRK (SK-5), SRK-c, Kobun, and Counter tac 1.

Hello! I am undecised between theese CS knives, i want something like a companion/edc knife for almost everything.
In my case is the SRK (SK-5), SRK-c, Kobun, and Counter tac 1.

Welcome to BF! Given the stated purpose, I'd probably go with the SRK or SRK-C. The C may be better for EDC since its a bit smaller, unless that's not an issue for you.

The Kobun is thin and light, so may be easier to carry, but being a tanto, may be less useful for everyday tasks.

The Counter-Tac is double edged, so pretty much meant for SD.

SRK or SRK-C. For EDC I would probably grab the C version.

For what little it is worth, I often carry this style of knife and own a few of them. I do not own an SRK-C but have handled it several times. The largest knife of this style that I like is a Blackjack Model 13 with a 5.5" blade. Lately I have been carrying a 5" Bark River Sandstorm or a 4.5" Bark River Chute Knife. The smaller 5ish inch size is just nicer to carry, while offering 95% of the utility of a larger blade. The SRK-C would fit in there as well.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd point this out in case you didn't know, and in case it might matter to you, but the Counter Tac is only ground on one side of the blade (double-edge dagger grind), the other side of the blade is completely flat.

You can see what I'm referring to in this thread- https://bladeforums.com/threads/cold-steel-counter-tac-1.577781/

There was a time when I was seriously considering getting one, but then I learned about them being ground on only one side. I like my dagger/boot knives to be ground on both sides, so I passed.

And welcome to Bladeforums.

Last edited:
IMO, this is more practical for everyday carry.
Cold-Steel-Mini-Tac-Bowie-4-1.jpg

The SRK is very versatile and the SRK-C adds a little more portability at the expense of some size.
You didn't mention how you intended to carry the knife or what it would be used for. If you are truly going to EDC a fixed blade then size (more compact) matters but if it's only going to be used as a field knife and carried in a pack, on a pack or on you belt only when afield, then the regular SRK is a wise choice IMO.

Back