With certain 5160 models having switched to 420hc...

... will it be likely that any and all 5160 OKC models will be switched or maybe even dropped altogether? Remember, all of the SP Gen2 models were, (and are), made using the 5160 steel. It's been that way since that line's inception. Does the recent change in OKC's Bushcraft series from 5160 to 420hc, now transfer over to any and all OKC 5160 knives? Or, does discontinuation of any, (or even all), models in 5160 occur? I am wondering what the fate will be for 5160 steel at OKC.

Last edited:
I can handle the 1095 to 1075 change... but if OKC is dropping 5160 and replacing it with 420HC, my 20+ year ride with OKC is coming to a end :(

I am starting to believe that the three major factors for OKC having corrosion issues with the Bushcraft series 5160 steel are as follows....

1. The series was mostly a non coated blade product (no powder coat finish protection).

2. They were somewhat poor sellers, and hence their longer term storage magnifying the possibly of rust during that storage.

3. Their satin finish, (along with that no powder coat protection thing), was/is an easier finish for rust to begin on. You see, brushed satin, (or bead blasted), finishes on bare steel, is a magnet to corrosion, (especially on non stainless steel). If bare steel is the final finish, a high polish is better at helping to keep rust from forming. I know many don't prefer a high polish look on a blade, but it does have the advantage over brushed or bead blasted when one is seeking to help avoid rust.

Toooj had said the following, and it basically states 1095's high carbon content making it even more rust prone than 5160.

All,

Great discussion. I held off so that you could voice your ops.
The 5000 series alloy steel offer some nice improvements over 1095 in regards to toughness and strength. The advantage of 1095 is the increased carbon content which makes for increased hardness and edge holding. Because there is more free carbon which can go into carbides, cutting performance is usually better. The down side is that it is more brittle than 5160. Because of the increased carbon, corrosion becomes more of an issue. It is the extra carbon that reacts with the iron and the elements to form rust.

Lower carbon in 5160 (0.60 vs 0.95) means slightly lower hardness but an edge that is easier to sharpen and lower rust.

There are always trade offs to be made in all knife steels. One has to determine what they are really looking for and make a wise choice.
There is a perfect blade material: It is called Unobtainium. The person who can discover/invent this material will be very rich.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto

Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Co.

So, maybe the 5160 can survive in other OKC series knives that move better in sales, and that have a powder coat applied. My fingers crossed for that to be the case.

Last edited:
I also hope they stay with just the one knife line in 420 SS, but if they sell well overall more profit to them. I have found my 5160 blades nearly unbreakable, and an incredible value. 1/4” thick 5160 blades whether ranger, woodsman or sp gen2 never chip noticeably unless I hit rock or metal by mistake, pry without breaking and hold an edge as long as I need them to. I stripped my rd9 user(after only the tip and the base had coating left)and neither it nor my woodsman have rusted in humid (though not salty air) but will eventually grow a great patina I’m sure. I’m glad I own them, and I won’t stop using them because nothing will ever be as good again and made in the USA while I’m still around, I don’t think.

Back