wobbly 42

Well, like the subject sez, my 42 is a little bit wobbly. The blade is actually picking up marks because of the sides touching the insides of the handles. Does anybody else have this problem, and what can I do to fix it? I don't use my 42 often, and when I do I'm usually quite gentle with it--I don't think I've been beating it up too much.

I just noticed this weekend that one of my handles have a bit more play in it than the other. Have you tried tightening the torx screws? I haven't yet because I don't have any torx keys. I'm going to order some tomorrow. I am guessing that this will help solve the problem. Does it still lock up tight when it's latched?

Steve

My blade has rubbing marks on it.

Also, it doesn't latch tighly open, I guess I need to smash the tang pin.

If you have a set of really good torx bits (the BM blue box won't cut it) you can tighten down the screws enough to squeeze the handle back together, then back the screw out, re-locktite it, and ajust the tension back to your preference. I did this to both of my EDC 42's when they started to rub a little. Now they're both nice and tight and make a lot less noise during manipulation. Be warned: cheap torx bits WILL snap off when tightening enough to squeeze the handle that much.
biggrin.gif

A small amount of heat, bic lighter will do, will release the lock tite bond. then the tork screws can be adjusted. This is normal maintenance for the 42. The pins are not being worn, just seating in the handles.

Does anybody know which sizes I need for the 42 hinge pins? I don't want to buy the benchmade set because it doesn't look very sturdy, and because there are more sizes than I need for the 42.

As i remember, there are two different sizes to the hinge heads. Go to a local hardware store near you and you should be able to pic up a basic set of torx heads for under $10.

I'm wanting to say "check for size #10 & #8, but don't quote me. Locktite does hold up to it's name.

Good luck!

------------------
lokai.gif

Sabo 29
"Catch you on the flip side"!

HI,
i was thinking about buying a 42 but i dont want it to turn out like a bear of jag. bali. i see some things that people have said abouttheir 42's that sounded similar to my jags , will i have this problem?

you want a T8 bit. At least that's what fits my 42's. and I dont really see anything wrong with the BM torx kit....

Back