Woman needs help choosing the right knife!

Hi All,

I am new to Himalayan Imports and the world of knives in general. I came across HI through some completely unrelated site and was intrigued to learn more. I have spent the last few days reading lots on the HI sites and forums and have fallen in love with the knives and the moral standards of this company and group.

I need some help choosing the right knife for my purposes. I live in Hawaii on a small farm property in Honolulu. I need a functional knife for cutting small brush (1-2 diameter), vines, tall and thick grass, and coconuts. Up to now I have used hardware store machetes.

So far, the sirupati blades look like what I might need. I like that they are well balanced and seem to be machete-like. I am looking at the 20" but it is a bit short compared to the machetes I have and that extra length is good for chopping dense grass, vines, and brush. The 25" sirupati is closer to the machete lengths I am used to but seems a bit on the heavy side. I am a woman of medium size and I am not sure if such a heavy blade would become tiresome with extended use time. In other words, I don't have that forearm and shoulder strength you men have!

Any suggestions on what would be an appropriate knife, sirupati or otherwise? Is it an option to get a 25" sirupati made on the lighter weight side?

I really wish I could hold these knives in my hand first!

I also have a neighbor I am going to buy a khukuri for as a gift. He has similar work requirements but is a guy and might be more comfortable with a heavier blade?

Much thanks for your input,

Sadly, you'll have to buy one of each in order to truly solve this mystery.

But I would think that a lighter blade would be better for cutting thin materials, if for no other reason than the momentum is less likely to carry through to your leg.

I am not kidding. Big Khukuri is a pleasure to use, either indoor or outdoor. I think it's like cleaver, once you are used to its weight and size, you no longer want lighter and smaller knives for the same job.

Hmmm... a girl in Hawai'i who likes knives?
Are you single?

er... I mean... a sirupati or a kobra sounds like a good pick, like you might be leaning towards a kobra. You might like a bolo when one pops up on the forums here, too. It would probably be the most comparable to a machete.

I think that you'll be surprised what a shorter HI knife can do, though. They take a superlative edge, and as such I find them remarkably forgiving in use.

Welcome to The Himalayan Imports Forum !!!

A woman of medium size such as yourself should do well with 15-18 inch version of any of the models listed below, they are warranted for trekking,camp use and farm/agricultural work.
The sirupate models are more a martial artist model and not typically suited to heavy work. The larger models of sirupate (20+ inches) may be heavily built enough for some rough use but are not warranted for chopping wood.

1) Chiruwa Ang Khola (the only khukuri warranted for use as prybar)
2) Ang Khola
3) British Army Sevice
4) World War II
5) M-43
6) Ganga Ram Special
7) Bonecutter
8) Pen Knife

Please be sure to read the safety sticky posted by Esav and also read these other helpful topics.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653192
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198282
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601448

All the "field use" khuks are probably ill-suited to your purposes. What you need is a good machete. Cutting grasses with a khuk is like using an axe to clear grass.

Ontario, Condor, and Cold Steel make good machetes.

All the "field use" khuks are probably ill-suited to your purposes. What you need is a good machete. Cutting grasses with a khuk is like using an axe to clear grass.

Ontario, Condor, and Cold Steel make good machetes.

For tall and thick grasses a khuk works just fine if it is sharp. I use one quite a bit in the early summer to clear stuff up in my field next to the house. You shouldnt try to mow yer lawn with one though. :rolleyes: :D I'm sure the foliage in Hawaii is thick enough to chop with a khuk.

For cutting small brush (1-2 diameter), vines and coconuts any of the field use khuks would work great.

Thanks for the link on safety and all the advice from forumites. I have had some close calls with knives and know they are not toys. When first using a machete, I had a few near misses with my legs when going after tall grasses and vines. I have also cut up my thumb a few times in the kitchen with a chef knife, right through the nail! Ouch!

We have some pretty thick grasses here, 1/2" to 1 1/2" and 10 feet tall. It grows amazingly fast!

I looked at my machetes the other day and the one I tend to pick up the most is an ontario. I even chop coconuts with it although it takes quit a bit of work. When coconuts sit around a while the "skin" gets brown, tough, and spongy so knives can bounce right off it, even under full force. I angle the blade and shave away at it.

Many of you are suggesting something other than a suripati. I thought from reading the HI sight, that a suripati could take a solid day of work as well. Not as heavy duty as some of the other knives but I don't chop down trees. Am I still leaning the wrong way for the types of tasks I have?

Yeah, I have noticed the bolos come up in topics but have not checked them out yet but I plan to. I think I fell in love with the khurkuri knives though.

Sorry, not single.

a good 15-20" Sirupati or Kobra will do admirably....

They tell you not to, but I've chopped down trees with a kobra made by Vim Kami, just to see if it was doable. No damage to the blade. Three trees fell. That is the HI quality. Personally I'd prefer a SE Asian/African/Latino machete-type blade for such an environment, but like I said the Kobra and Sirupati will do that just fine... afterall, from what I've heard, they're from areas with more jungles and stuff. :thumbup:

The first thing that came to mind was a 20" Sirupate.
The second was a 18" Chitlangi.

Inch for inch, yes, khukuris will be heavier than a machete, there's just more steel there. However, that also means you don't need a 3 foot long one, either. a 20" Sirupate will out chop any machete -- provided it's properly sharpened.

As for khukuris being too thick for cutting grass, I have a 20" chiruwa Ang Khola (the heaviest-duty chopper-style HI makes), and it's sharp enough to cut through even very light vegetation with just a lazy swing, or cut down a tree, should I so choose. Now, it's not something you'd want to swing all day, a sirupate will be more of that type, although until you get used to it, it will tire you out faster than a machete.

Re: the HI bolo. Even though bolos are typically a type of machete, the HI ones tend to run 1/2" thick at the spine, so they would be extremely heavy for what you want.

Again, I'd think a 20" Siru or 18" Chitlangi would be right up your alley. You might want to email Yangdu at HIMIMP@AOL.COM and ask what she thinks.

The other poster is right, too. You'll probably buy several before you find the one you really like best. Or you may get lucky like me and your first will be your favorite -- and you'll buy more, just to be sure. ;)

a good 15-20" Sirupati or Kobra will do admirably....

They tell you not to, but I've chopped down trees with a kobra made by Vim Kami, just to see if it was doable. No damage to the blade. Three trees fell. That is the HI quality. Personally I'd prefer a SE Asian/African/Latino machete-type blade for such an environment, but like I said the Kobra and Sirupati will do that just fine... afterall, from what I've heard, they're from areas with more jungles and stuff. :thumbup:

Thanks for your giving your experience. I have now stayed up most of the night going over all the knives again and absorbing more info. So many of the knives look so useful. But I have had enough people mention a machete being more practical so I am thinking I will probably go with the sturdier gelub special for things like the coconuts and heavier stuff. A review I read of the gelub really impressed me. The ang kohlas seem like way more knife than I really need since I don't fell trees or chop firewood.

Although, the lighter blades keep drawing me back. I take tai chi lessons and they teach sword form as well, which I have never done. Maybe I will start taking that class.....

As a side point, any ideas as to why the WWII model is more popular than the M43 if the M43 is an improvement on the WWII model?

Mahalo and thanks!

Thanks for your giving your experience. I have now stayed up most of the night going over all the knives again and absorbing more info. So many of the knives look so useful. But I have had enough people mention a machete being more practical so I am thinking I will probably go with the sturdier gelub special for things like the coconuts and heavier stuff. A review I read of the gelub really impressed me. The ang kohlas seem like way more knife than I really need since I don't fell trees or chop firewood.

Although, the lighter blades keep drawing me back. I take tai chi lessons and they teach sword form as well, which I have never done. Maybe I will start taking that class.....

As a side point, any ideas as to why the WWII model is more popular than the M43 if the M43 is an improvement on the WWII model?

Mahalo and thanks!

Try the 42 taichi sword.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_apJ1xFlnt4&feature=related

The first thing that came to mind was a 20" Sirupate.
The second was a 18" Chitlangi.

Inch for inch, yes, khukuris will be heavier than a machete, there's just more steel there. However, that also means you don't need a 3 foot long one, either. a 20" Sirupate will out chop any machete -- provided it's properly sharpened.

As for khukuris being too thick for cutting grass, I have a 20" chiruwa Ang Khola (the heaviest-duty chopper-style HI makes), and it's sharp enough to cut through even very light vegetation with just a lazy swing, or cut down a tree, should I so choose. Now, it's not something you'd want to swing all day, a sirupate will be more of that type, although until you get used to it, it will tire you out faster than a machete.

Re: the HI bolo. Even though bolos are typically a type of machete, the HI ones tend to run 1/2" thick at the spine, so they would be extremely heavy for what you want.

Again, I'd think a 20" Siru or 18" Chitlangi would be right up your alley. You might want to email Yangdu at HIMIMP@AOL.COM and ask what she thinks.

The other poster is right, too. You'll probably buy several before you find the one you really like best. Or you may get lucky like me and your first will be your favorite -- and you'll buy more, just to be sure. ;)

I am already thinking I want more than one knife but I can't afford them all at once! I do like the looks of the 20" sirupati very much.

There is also my neighbor who I want to buy a blade for. He is always so helpful and generous and I want to say "thanks" to him with the gift of a HI knife. I know he would really appreciate the uniqueness and quality of the HI knives as well as the history and religious aspects. He is a farmer and hunter. We have feral pigs in the hills here which he traps/hunts. He uses a chainsaw for big things like felling trees and making firewood but also carries a machete in his truck at all times for lighter use. What kind of blade is good for hunters with all the tasks that involves? What kind of blade would possibly suit his other :)needs?

Much thanks and aloha!

Keep in mind that HI Khukris are massively overbuilt compared to normal cutlery, so even the lighter designs are incredibly tough.

My lightest Khukri (a BAS) is still a full 1/8" thicker at the spine than my heaviest fixed blade.

As long as you don't deliberately try to break them (and sometimes even when you do) HI Khuks will take anything you care to throw at them.

Welcome:)

I think a 20" Siru would fit your needs just fine:thumbup:
When you go to order one, shoot Yangdu an email explaining what you are planning to use it for and she'll be happy to pick one out of her inventory that would suit you best:)

Welcome:)

I think a 20" Siru would fit your needs just fine:thumbup:
When you go to order one, shoot Yangdu an email explaining what you are planning to use it for and she'll be happy to pick one out of her inventory that would suit you best:)

Actually contacting Yangdu would be the first thing I would do in your case, let her know what you want it for and ask her opinion, I doubt any of us here could match her experience with kurkri's the fact that she is a woman might give her a better insight into your needs.

Back