Wonder why these are flying under the radar?

I wondered what the 'M' in M-type was for...received mine recently and after using it I realise the 'M' stands for 'Magic'. Great little user. Sheeple friendly as it hides in the hand when you're peeling fruit etc and the blade has that grey urban camo which is really low-key. Flat. light, solid lockup, deep blade makes for good control, sweet spot on that recurve blade is good for almost anything, handle ergos fit me well, G10 is grippy, what more can I say...except, consider bringing out an upsized model with a 4.5 inch blade. M-type is then competing with the likes of BM's Skirmish (and I have 2 of those). I'm going to buy another M-type just as a backup in case Boker stops making them.

I would suggest that their appearance doesn't suggest the ergonomics they actually possess, not to mention the typical knife-user's aversion to recurve blades have something to do with the matter.

Personally, I still prefer the smaller blades, so I don't carry my M-Type as often. But for a decent-sized, sturdy working blade with a lot of blade for the handle size, it works very well.
Will be getting a Hyper PE in the next week or so, so we'll see :D.

Aloha senoBDEC,

So uh...did the HYPER arrive?

Mahalo for the kind words buddy, and Happy Holidays!
God bless!:cool:

Guten Morgen Chad,
we sell these pretty good.
Maybe, you can shoot me a mail... btw, you still owe me a mail...

Hope to hear from you back Bro!

Hey Tobias,

:confused: I shot you "that" mail...it regarded the :foot:...

Be safe and God bless you and yours!
Happy Holidays sir!:cool:

PS: I hope they keep selling pretty good even AFTER that "new law"...:mad:

I bought a Hyper about a month or so a go and I have been very happy with it. An outstanding well made and designed knife and very reasonable price. Boker's China contractor has done a very good job on making this knife. An it has A handle made from G10 and blade of 440C and good edge geometry grind.This helps the Hyper cut and not bind or skip over what is being cut. The Hyper is a great EDC knife because of it's size and the width makes it very secure and comfortable in the hand. I like mine very much. I also have a Subclaw, Wharncom, and a Trance. But I carry the Hyper most of the time with the Subclaw. Take care Chad.

RKH

Mahalo RKH,

Nice observations, and I am happy that YOU are happy with the design. PE HYPER is one of MY faves...;)

Happy Holidays and God bless!:cool:

I'm happy with my Hyper

Concidering the pricepoint they go for what's not to like:

440C blade steel Titanium Nitride coating which is extremily tuff and slick. Adds against cutting resistence on nasty materials and adds for rust preservation.

Bronze washers G10 handle. Solid framelock.

High flat ground;

DSC00084.jpg

Much cuttingforce in a compact package.
Inobtrousive in pocket lowrider style.
Comfortable handle.
:thumbup:

As always...MAHALO MUCH Maarten! That's one of the things I like about the HYPER PE so much...that Ti-coat, that blade color...*sigh*...;)

God bless and Happy Holidays to you and yours!:cool:

They're probably flying through the radar, but in stealth mode, hehe! :cool:

I like how it rides low and the light weight...no regrets!

Okaaaaaaay, now we need a "worship" smilie...
Mahalo much Derek24, and man...keep up the great pimp jobs!!!:thumbup:

God bless and Happy Holidays!!!:)

As one that likes his knives light and compact, I find the appearance and looks too bulky on these knives. While it might not be heavy at all, it seems that there is way too much metal on the blade. Maybe bit too straight-forward designs and with that recurve they're just not my cup of tea.

Sorry to bash the designs Chad, I bet they are really good quality knives! But not for me.

Aloha h3n4,

No problem my fin...er, friend!:p

However, PLEASE try to handle a HYPER...I think you may be surprised.;)

Happy Holidays, and God bless!:cool:

Sorry guys...I will answer each post later...I gotta get ready for HELL...:(:mad:

But thanks a ton everyone, and be safe!!!

Thanks, Chad!! I might snag a Hyper for Christmas! Stay safe.
Happy Holidays and God Bless You, my friend!
Rolf

Aloha senoBDEC,

So uh...did the HYPER arrive?

Mahalo for the kind words buddy, and Happy Holidays!

Aye, it did. Ended up buying one from NGK ;).

So basically, I've found the M-Type and Hyper seem to be designed to pack as much blade-length and edge in a very compact package, while still retaining the nice wide blade we CLB fans like (though less wide vs Trance/Subcom F). I actually found the Hyper surprisingly small, despite only 3-4 mm difference in length and closed width compared to the Trance. (Trance = Subcom F = Hyper in thickness).
Combination of PB and "nylon" washers on both M-Type and Hyper vs only nylon washers on the others. I was somewhat disappointed that the M-Type/Hyper have a very thin PB overlay on a base nylatron washer - but it works very well - just an issue to not bend it when disassembling or servicing the knife. The other washer is solid PB.
Finally, the clip from the Trance has been improved - making it deep-carry, and increasing the amount of surface area that grips the pocket (widened the "curved" section near the end of the clip). Note that the clip is the same for both the M-Type and Hyper.

Now for the caveats: in no way are the Hyper and M-Type as comfortable as the Trance, due to their somewhat more "ergonomically specific" handle design - but they also lock in hand very well, and they've done a superb job on the large jimping and texturing of the G-10 scales (and cutouts in both). The difference in comfort is minimal, but it is there. I could see myself using them for about 30-45 min of cutting at most before the hotspots and wear on my hands getting to be too much (versus something like 15-20 minutes for the original Subcom F and close to an hour for the Subcom FB and Trance). This is really nitpicking, since I think any time you make a folder design, especially with a clip, there's lots of sacrifices in terms of long-term comfort, especially when you add jimping to really add grip. For more delicate work, with less hard gripping necessary, I doubt this would make any difference. I also rather like how, despite sharing the basic design philosophy, they're two different knives, somewhat like the Mini Manix and Manix.

Basically, the Hyper is like a recurve Subcom F, but bigger and slimmer (width-wise) - and that's awesome :D.
The detent is also slightly stronger than with the Trance, but can be flicked open quite easily and is also rock-solid in lock-up.
Don't forget the M-Type if you're into bigger folders, it carries very easily and is a very solid folder - distinct "click" when it locks up. It's also distinctly pointier than the Hyper, but both have about the same amount of distal taper for the tip (literally within 2-3 mm).

Haven't gotten much of a chance to use my Hyper yet, but if it's anything like my M-Type, it should perform well at pretty much whatever I throw at it.

I wondered what the 'M' in M-type was for...received mine recently and after using it I realise the 'M' stands for 'Magic'. Great little user. Sheeple friendly as it hides in the hand when you're peeling fruit etc and the blade has that grey urban camo which is really low-key.
Wow.. uh... just how big are your hands? 0.o? My M-Type measures ~4.5 inches closed and has a 3.5 inch blade. Did you mean the Hyper?

Last edited:
The only thing keeping me from buying the Hyper is concerns that it is too fat... the width from the spine to blade dege. Looks very wide.

I am up in the air between the Hyper and the Trance. Ideally, the Sebenza is perfect in size.

Back