wondering on being a true Schrade Walden

this just finished on our favorite site to bash. it is described as a rare Schrade Walden and when i looked at it noticed several things that did not seem right. am i wrong or is this a product of the "fake" guys and not a real "vintage USA Schrade Walden"?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261444919677?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
hoping this will help the new people on here to avoid getting taken.

I told the seller where he could find the serial number and he responded "0961" which would surely put it in the first production run. When he edited his listing he put 9610 which seemed strange, but I thought he just made an error. At that point I was not very interested anyway. Always looks suspicious when the sheath looks worn and the knife looks new. I'm curious what you found strange with it?

Interesting. It looks right to me, pivot pin through bolster and all. The sheath wear is explainable by a previous owner having several and he, or his heirs, mixing up the sheaths when selling them. I've seen this happen on other sheathed patterns. And he actually listed "19600" as the serial.

ETA: I no longer have knives of this and similar folding hunter patterns to compare firsthand.

i don't have a Schrade Walden UH pattern to compare it to, but have never seen USA left off the tang. have i missed some that did?

i don't have a Schrade Walden UH pattern to compare it to, but have never seen USA left off the tang. have i missed some that did?

Just checked mine,# 04208 and the stamp is the same. Still has the fat handles but the box and sheath are different. This is my favorite uh folder, I pay attention to the 127's that come up because the original picture in the catalog showed a presentation box with stone and slanted sheath. Other than that pic I have not seen another. I sat down with Dave Swinden and asked if he recalled seeing one and he did not. He laughed and said "well there's at least one out there" which is typical Dave. Anyway when this seller responded with the 0961 serial I thought I had dialed in a little closer but was frustrated to see it appeared different in his amended description. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting. It looks right to me, pivot pin through bolster and all. The sheath wear is explainable by a previous owner having several and he, or his heirs, mixing up the sheaths when selling them. I've seen this happen on other sheathed patterns. And he actually listed "19600" as the serial.

ETA: I no longer have knives of this and similar folding hunter patterns to compare firsthand.

1968 catalog shows pic of 127 I'm referring to.
Btw was very sorry to hear your knives were robbed codger. Glad to see it did not stop you. A little jealous of that 165 with the low serial #. If someone other than me had to get it I'm glad it was you! Nice grab

I had been watching this one. I see nothing to indicate it's not real. No USA on the tang did not bother me. I've seen this SCHRADE-WALDEN stamp on some fixed blades I believe. The paperwork and box look all Schrade to me as well.

Thanks James. I was pretty devistated there for a while, but life goes on. Luckily, while they wiped me out of most of my 165s, they left most of my NIB examples. So there is that. Let me know if you see another 100th anniversary issue, ok? :)

I just found another 127 on the bay and the stamp is the same.

As to the early introductory ads... well... After years of searching I finally found a very, very early production Sharp Finger (trademarked two words, yes!). It came in a sliptop heavy gift box with a sharpening stone, just as the earliest ads said. I had begun to believe that it was a pre-launch plan that was never carried out. And evidently they went rather quickly to the fold down woodgrain box, deleting the sharpening stone. On several patterns I collect, determining the packaging progression has been a real chore.

29zd6jo.png

10x7uwh.png

Last edited:
Many moons ago Guns& Ammo was giving a Schrade sharpfinger with a 2 year subscription, they had Guns & Ammo in a plaque on the handle but no sheath but sharpfinger sheaths were available from another source for a pittance.

Many moons ago Guns& Ammo was giving a Schrade sharpfinger with a 2 year subscription, they had Guns & Ammo in a plaque on the handle but no sheath but sharpfinger sheaths were available from another source for a pittance.

No sheath? I spent some time chasing that down a few years back. There were evidently two offerings for the Guns&Ammo knives from Peterson Publishing, and one for the 154OT shielded "Hunting" for that Peterson magazine. After a while the magazine ads surfaced with the offer and I acquired one of each new in the original box. Both had sheaths with them. This is the second issue with the original 1983 postmarked box and the sheath that was new and current for that year.

2zf4ppu.jpg

The first appearance was in 1976 – 14,250 were shipped to Peterson Publishing followed by 6,000 in 1977. Here is the first edition. Other than the sheath style, there were no differences in the knives, both black covers, G&A shielded, SCHRADE U.S.A. tang. I believe this may be Larry303's picture.

2euu72f.png

This is Protourist's picture of the two Peterson knives together.

1545557_728552743862886_2909379338103978133_n.jpg

this just finished on our favorite site to bash. it is described as a rare Schrade Walden and when i looked at it noticed several things that did not seem right. am i wrong or is this a product of the "fake" guys and not a real "vintage USA Schrade Walden"?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261444919677?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
hoping this will help the new people on here to avoid getting taken.
I don't know anything about the box or sheath, but the knife is absolutely correct. The first few of the UH hunters in both single and two blade versions had the fat handles. That did not last long. I have one of each.

Back