Wont be able to shave for 3 weeks

In 15 days I am having surgery on my left elbow to repair a severed tendon. I plan on celebrating the return to DE shaving by buying a really good and expensive shaving soap, but I don't know what to get so I decided to have a little competition, suggest a good and expensive soap for me to try and why I should try it. The person that convinces me to try their suggestion will get the unopened package of Black Feather blades I have here. I am setting my price limit at $35 for the soap so that should cover most of them. So have at it.

It's not very pricey, but I think it makes an exceptional lather. The J.M fraser cream is great, and made in canada. I've only used the Citrus (original) but if its any indication the other flavors should all be excellent. Mosswood, Oriental spice, or mentholated polar ice.

Another option to treat yourself too is a new brush. Seems odd to be spending double what your brush costs on soap. Best badger can be had at around 35.

I'll pass on the feathers, I'm stocked :D

Maybe its time to try something new. Grow out your beard, perhaps you will like it. If you do then I recommend using a good shampoo. Sorry I don't know anything about shaving soaps, as I have had a beard for 30+ years.

It's not very pricey, but I think it makes an exceptional lather. The J.M fraser cream is great, and made in canada. I've only used the Citrus (original) but if its any indication the other flavors should all be excellent. Mosswood, Oriental spice, or mentholated polar ice.

Another option to treat yourself too is a new brush. Seems odd to be spending double what your brush costs on soap. Best badger can be had at around 35.

I'll pass on the feathers, I'm stocked :D

I plan on getting a Silvertip brush as well that is why I am capping at $35

Maybe its time to try something new. Grow out your beard, perhaps you will like it. If you do then I recommend using a good shampoo. Sorry I don't know anything about shaving soaps, as I have had a beard for 30+ years.
I hate having a beard, I have tried it a few times and not only do I not like the feel of having a beard I look wrong with one. I plan on using an electric till i can use my arm again to keep the facial hair under control but that first real shave back is going to be special:D

Learning to shave with the other hand might be usefull skill sometime in the future.

I try to do many things with both hands just out of the interest of being reasonably able to do it with both hands no matter how weird it feels.

Who knows --you might have fun with it---just be carefull.

Using electric? Heresy.Find an Old School Barber and get a shave. Must be pricey though!

I like Taylor of Old Bond St creams a lot but the soap is excellent too, try Lavender, it's refreshing and exhilirating. Moistens the faceand has an 'authentic' feel to it due to the fact that they've been in business in three different centuries. They have to be doing it right.

First growth is the worst as I can remember. The first few weeks its itchy, and the hairs are stiff. But once the beard is established and gains some length it's soft and comfortable.

I'd recommend Fitjar's Miklagard soap (or cream). Fitjar's soap is all very high quality; it produces a great lather and is smooth and slick. The Miklagard is an amazing fragrance of blended wood oils. It's not super expensive, but shipping from Norway is kinda pricey.

I also suggest you learn to shave wrong-handed. It's good practice, and many people recommend that you learn straight shaving with either hand.

Phillip

I actually tried shaving offhand this morning just for fun. It's not really all that hard. Feels a little weird in some places and takes awhile, but you shouldn't have so much trouble as to go back to the dark ages of shaving.

If you want a good SOAP the try TGQ (or wait for Gollinick sample, then buy more).

I've tried better creams, but not better soaps.

Tabac is also really good stuff. Other good stuff I havn't tried myself: Kent Wool fat, Geo F Trumper, Truefitt & Hill lavender soap. I heard Tailors of Old Bond Street soaps are not as good as their creams (which are awesome).

I am going to wait to try Gollnick's sample, but I was reading the reviews over on B&B and looking over the TGQ web site and I think I will be checking out some more of the products from them.
Still no winner on the blades yet, think I will throw in the 5 pack of Derbies that I wont open too. Both the Feathers and the Derbies just don't agree with my face and style:( Good thing there are so many blades to try.

I just sent an email off to Fitjar to get a shipping cost estimate, maybe being up here in the frozen north of Canada it wont be too bad. The frozen north thing is a bad joke, it is humid here and the weatherman is calling for a high of 30C or 86F. And while writing this Fitjar replied and its 70 NOK, only about $12 Candian to ship to me so very reasonable. Those Norwegian prices can throw you off:p

I just sent an email off to Fitjar to get a shipping cost estimate, maybe being up here in the frozen north of Canada it wont be too bad. The frozen north thing is a bad joke, it is humid here and the weatherman is calling for a high of 30C or 86F. And while writing this Fitjar replied and its 70 NOK, only about $12 Candian to ship to me so very reasonable. Those Norwegian prices can throw you off:p

That's less than I paid for shipping to the States. Shipping cost as much as a bar of soap, so I bought four bars to offset the cost. :D

Phillip

Yeah I was thinking of a couple different soaps, an we have that new guy at work that is getting into wet shaving, he is going to jump in on the order to

Well my little no shaving spree was suppose to start on Friday, but my surgery day has been pushed back to September 27th. Thing is that I have 2 soaps from this little endeavor that I am going to try.

I am going to give Phillip Dobson's Fitjar's Miklagard soap a try and then there is the sample that I am getting from Gollnick. Thing is I only have one pack of feathers to giveaway, but I also have a pack of Derbies that I wont be using either, so I will let them pick who gets what

Back