Wood Handle Finishing

me2

I dont visit the shop talk forum much, but I regularly browse the for sale areas in Knifemakers Corner. The work for sale there in stunning. I have 2 questions. First, I have a chef's knife with a mahogany handle that needs finishing. Is there a stain or oil that is normally used for wooden handles? Something that darkens the wood a little would be ideal. The grain really stands out and the handle looks very rich when it gets wet, but then it fades as it dries. Second, do any of you make a knife, then like it so much that it stays with you. Most of the stuff for sale here I would have to keep if I made it. Some times it seems the handle finishing is the most difficult part of making a knife. Thanks for the help.

I've had good luck with Tru-Oil. You can find it in the Sporting goods section of Wal-Mart. After about ten or twelve coats the wood practically glows.

Tung Oil also works good, follow the directions the bottle then do the multi- coat hand rubbed thing. A little on the tip of your finger and rubbed till it is dry and then start over on another spot. Just keeps getting better. Gib

An oil finish is ideal. Tung oil or boiled linseed oil work, but they aren't nearly as easy to use as some of their modern counterparts.
I haven't tried tru-oil, but personally find that Watco's Danish oil is about the best for ease of use and quality of finish. I think its a fairly similar product to tru-oil and a few others on the market. Basically an oil based finish with some other stuff added to make it build a finish faster and dry much faster. Its fairly easy to find, most home improvement stores and pretty much all woodworking stores have it. You can also get it online. I would use the natural color if you only want to darken the wood a little bit. It will give it the wet look your talking about but doesn't have any stain added like the colored ones do.

I vote for an oil finish as well.... very natural and feels great. Not plastic like a poly or clear coat of some sort. I have teak oil from lowes or HomeDepot.

I absolutely refuse to use Danish Oil, It has caused untold amount of grief I threw mine away. I have used Tru-Oil and tung oil for 30 years on Rifle stocks and Knives and never missed a fantastic finish. Thy are not fast finishes to use but the more you work at it the better thy get. Gib

It would gum up and not dry and not penetrat well and was very hard to work with. Also tung oil is the best at penatrating but Tru-Oil it hard to beat.
Gib

We have a woodworking shop in town, so finding the proper oil shouldnt be a problem. I'll just have to decide which one to use.

I have used Watco's Neutral Danish oil in the past, but it does take time and a lot of work. I have also used Watco's Teak oil and liked it as well.

I have always wanted to try the Tung oil finishes and it's good to know it penetrates well, thanks Gib. I'll have to give Tru Oil a try as well since I really like oil finishes.

The Tru Oil is great. AND, keep the knife out of the electric dishwasher! I've used boiled linseed oil upon request, on Osage orange. It works OK, but it seems to be a slow way to finish a handle. It's recommended to apply a few more applications of linseed oil over the years on a finished handle, which is a pain, too. I would go with the Tru Oil.

Back