Wood Handle Material

R

Ruppe

I was forced to find a new source of wood handle material when Blades 'N Stuff closed down recently. I was in a bind on making a Bloodwood handled DP Hunter after I had a slab crack the day before promised delivery. What a pleasant surprise when I found Eisenbrand Hardwoods in Torrance California. I talked to Clay by telephone and then decided to drive down. Wow! Every kind of wood imaginable! Reasonably priced, but not slabbed out. Got to cut it myself, but well worth it. 2x2x12 was about $12.00 plus I got an assortment of odds and ends for $5.00 a lb. Check it out! no, I don't work there or own it. Its just a good place to get some good wood. Anyone know of some other good suppliers of hardwoods?

For steel and abrasives etc, a great place to go is Tru Grit. www.trugrit.com, very nice people! For wood, go to www.woodcraft.com. For nickle and stuff try Sheffields Supply, phone 904-774-5745 for info, or 1-800-874-7007 for orders. There are a bunch of others out there also, go to the international knife directory site and go to the supply links. Hope this helps!

I use Tru-Grit for abrasives and Burr King parts. I have bought steel from them in the past, but they aren't consistant in what they have available. Last time I called they had neither 440-C nor ATS-34, didn't know when they were getting some in and were hyping a new steel they were getting in that sounded very complicated to heat treat. But they can't be beat for abrasives and friendly demeanor.

Koval has all of the above also. 615 855 0777

I like Pop's knife supply for abrasives. Better prices and he has some carburundum belts that kick butt. I like um better than the poly stuff from 3 m for roughing...
POP; Knife supply 706-678-5408 afternoons..

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 10-14-98).]

Back