wood ivory fossil sheaths

milesofalaska

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
In lockdown. Bored. I see a lot of sheaths of leather, comments on plastic, thought I'd show other options. I often make sheaths of hollow fossil bone, wood or mammoth ivory bark. For my own custom knives. Not that interested in getting into custom sheaths for others knives, but do sell the raw materials to those interested in making their own. I have a few 'how to' video on my web site, want to make more. But would be glad to discuss or answer questions since this is not as common as leather. There are issues, shortcuts, such as using plastic backs that form to the knife, so the visible top need not be formed much. Anyhow, if these pictures link right.....OK so this one below is mammoth ivory bark. What is nice about this material is it commonly has a natural curve, and can be 'scrap' due to to much curve not quite right for handle material yet be sold with good colors so possible use for sheath. Metal band on top becomes an important structural component to ensure the back and front will never separate.
s753546587274955038_p113_i1_w308.jpeg

s753546587274955038_p33_i1_w251.jpeg

The above sheath is hollow fossil 60,000 year old bison rib bone. Not hard to make, basically making an end cap. The inner bone has soft marrow easy to hollow out to suite- harden with resin or CA glue. A note, I sometimes fill with fiberglass resin. Before resin sets, put wrapped blade in the hollow and let resin set. Perfect fit. No special tools needed to make this. Such fossil material can be acquired fairly cheaply if it is not considered 'specimen' Being just a part of a rib this is sold by the pound. Sheath makes nice match for fossil bone handle.

s753546587274955038_p97_i3_w304.jpeg

The above is stabilized wood. A little complicated to explain, but made in two parts, using spacer wood the thickness of the blade, outline cut out of the spacer. If you can picture this, there is little carving hollowing out work to do. Time involved is for me, less than leather, and cost me less to make in materials. I find and stabilize my own wood. A tip is, you can soak wood in Cactus juice, no vacuum just soak a week or a month. (I soak 5 gallons at a time)

I enjoy alternate sheath materials as it creates a unique product, and one of a kind unique is helpful in selling. Or my view is, those of us who create-and sell need to have something recognizable, different from the other guy even if it is a nitch market, "Hey I recognize that!" I think is important. Anyhow just bringing up the subject of "it doesn't have to be either leather or plastic!" My methods are out there- off the wall.. not to me, been doing it 40 years... but often get blank stares, no comment. I'm mostly bored. Came to the fossil show in Arizona, now can not get back home to Alaska.... different subject.... stay safe guys! Guessing a lot of people hold up in the shop creating! Ra ra!

I like the "outside the box" stuff.
How well do these sheaths hold the knives?

I like the combo of a knife and sheath out of the same material

I do not want to use a lot of space with 'how to.' However.. sheaths of unique material usually hold the knife fine as made. Like with leather, there can be some adjustments, just a different method. In many cases I can reheat the plastic back, especially in the area I need more tightness, and when soft, simply squeeze the plastic tighter and let harden. I make a lot of sheaths that only cover the blade, not intended to wear on a belt, but go in a drawer, display, tool box, pocket, or neck-knife. That is easier to do. Full-size with loop is possible. If the blade is loose I sometimes put a spacer inside, leather strip, piece of ivory veneer. Even pour glue inside, pour out, let it set up, and that adds a few thousands, often enough to get that grip tight. I make sure with each finished product that I can turn it upside down and shake it, and not have the knife come out, yet be able to get it out with one hand. Thanks for inquiring and I have been working on You-Tube video with some 'how to.' Not that I'm the best, just video on some of this is in short supply.Making mam sheath If this link works it's the link to view and you can find my main You-tube page with some other how to.

Really nice work !!!! Thank you for sharing :) :)

I should add, there is one big downside! Each sheath is created for that knife. Or it is very difficult to interchange knives with a solid sheath. This means for me, if a customer loves the knife but already has a sheath of their choice, or simply does not want the sheath, "Now what." However for those who make and sell knives, having 'one of a kind' look is enhanced by such different attractive sheaths, they do sell the entire package with a 'wow' factor. Maybe more interchangeable of a maker has some standard knife designs. Mine are all hand drawn and cut no two very much alike.

Back