Wood scaled slipjoints?

I see lots of great looking bone and stag slipjoints here but not so many in wood, so I was wondering if anyone wanted to share some photos of their wood scaled knives. Thanks.

Rosewood scales were/are common on Sheffield knives. Here are a couple of simple examples by Harrison Bros & Jos Rodgers.

HHPK-1.jpg

Rodger1.jpg

There are some wood handles among these vintage Bruckmann knives:

Bruckmannset08-07.jpg

You're right though. I think wood scales are much more common on lockbacks and fixed blades than on slipjoints.

Not all are slipjoints but I think that they can be considered "traditionals" (Click on pictures to enlarge).

1.- A Couple of Carbon Bokers.

2.- Rodgers English jack.

3.- A little Kershaw lockback with wood inserts that my mother used to carry in her purse, I believe this one is from the mid 70's.

4.- Schrade LB3.

5.- I'm holding my Schrade LB7 (background was pasted in).

Luis

Waden Knife Co. I love wood handled knives! And they usually cost less than bone.
WaldenKnifeTDJ.jpg

Some nice knives! Is Rosewood most commonly used? What are other popular woods?

There area few wood handles around here.
Remington Lumberjack
RemingtonLumberjack.jpg

Canal Street w/stabilized blood wood, or something like that
csctrapper.jpg

Queen Bird's Eye Maple folding hunter and swell-end, liner-lock jack. I erroneously called the swell-end a tear drop in another post, but it was past my bed-time so I left it that way ;) )
Birdseye-Queens.jpg

And you can't get much more of a traditional wood handled knife that the ol' Green River knife. I just love tossing that one in. Inexpensive and just too cool of basic knife.
Russell-Green-River.jpg

Amos

On the really old ones, it's typically ebony or cocobolo, followed by rosewood (I expect many used rosewood and cocobolo interchangeably). Interestingly, Joseph Rodgers catalogs offered several shadow patterns in snakewood, though I've never actually seen one. Special purpose knives were often offered in walnut - electricians/linemans knives, pruners, some budding knives,....

Genuine Ebony is a really alluring wood. It seems to last remarkablywell by the look of many of the pix I've seen of old knives in other posts. This may be because it is harder, more durable than other woods-wood generally seem less durable than bone or stag but I may be wrong. Rather surprised that cutlers have seldom used Yew (taxus)wood as this is meant to be exceptionally hard.

These are the ones i have:

A nice old electrician's knife (i think) by an unknown maker:

IMG_3284Small.jpg

and my Tina:

IMG_2584Small.jpg

This is a modern French knife. I think it is juniper wood. It smells great. Nice smooth action to it as well.

Dec1-06030-1.jpg

Dec1-06032.jpg

Nice knives. I'm really liking the grain on that juniper wood s-k. Also that bloodwood looks great Amos.

I have a Kissing Crane Sodbuster.

I know that there are cheap, low-end users, but there is Winchester and (taylor) Schrade knives that feature wood scales as well.

Then there is the classic Buck Lockbacks- The 110, Ranger, and Prince.

That French knife looks pretty cool! Who markets those and almost as important, how much?

Here's a few more that I have around, again some have a lock, but with a traditional flavor.

Jean Dubost Laguiole in olive wood.

Buck 701 stockman.

Case 6165L.

Three Opinels with modified handles.

Luis

Click to enlarge

Here are most of my modern wood-handled knives. I also have quite a few antique slipjoints with wood handles.

Knives12-11-07011.jpg

Knives12-11-07010.jpg

How do you like the Queen Cocobolo wood? Love my delrin stockman, thought a natural material would be that much better. thanks

Back