Wood scales?

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Would you like to see more knives with wood scales in 2014? Or is micarta preferred?
Scott

Yes!

I need to get a Polaris with wood scales, hint hint.

Ironwood, cocobolo, osage. I should kick my own arse for all the nice ones I've traded or sold that came out of your shop, but especially for the ones that had wood scales. Some real beauties. I've been carrying my smallest Kephart from you, loaned it to a buddy. He skinned a couple deer with it, returned it to me with guts on it actually, but I digress. The handles look great, a little polish like you told me, and it's back to normal.

Yes, wood scales, yes, take my $!

The problem with wood and I can't guaranteed it because it can possibly move. Either shrink, swell or crack. Even stabilized can move. How about wood on large choppers that see significant abuse?
Scott

I agree wood is awesome! However I purchased some artificial wood and wow it looks good. I tested it for workability and looks by making a pen It works well and polishes up (without finishes) absolutely amazing. Can't wait to use it on my next knife.

Because the small Kephart has seen so much use, the scales have shrunk and expanded. The scales are uneven, but I have not had any issues with breaking, knock on wood. I have left it out overnight in my truck in cold weather, and have left it on the counter close the woodstove. It has gone with me on hikes, riding on my hip (I am a big porker and sweat like a hog).

As far as big choppers go, I would imagine that desert ironwood would be best if any woods are used. I would like to see it used more often, but I understand and appreciate your trepidations.

I gotta go with micarta. Personally There has just been too many times doing fire prep, where I've gotten a blade stuck in a knot when I've had to smack the handle a time or two. Admittedly that's just poor technique that I try to avoid, but it happens . I do love the look of wood though .(I work with it for a living, carpenter) on a smaller blade I could be had, but not on a chopper. Although I would still admire other people's for sure

Wood moves. My company installs hardwood flooring. We see it move all the time. The harder woods (oak, ash, mahogany, Brazilian cherry, etc)move more then softer woods. I've had customers complain about wood that has somewhat separated and when I get there its no longer separated. Customer says "I swear it was separated last week, sorry to make you come out here". I guess my point is that wood shrinks and expands depending on temperature and humidity, but who cares. It looks great and knife nuts seam to like it. I like synthetics also, especially the layered ones. I mentioned on the other forum that perhaps wood over micarta would move less or maybe not at all?

I prefer natural canvas micarta, it develops character just like carbon steels, and is tough as nails just like 'em too.

Back